U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 8,763 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking to buy for my husband who is a weekend handyman around the house. We have just inherited my parents home which is in need of livable repairs. My husband is quite handy but mentioned he'd like an impact drill. Mostly ythe jobs he'd be doing around the house involve repairs such as replacing floorboards, walls, cabinets etc. Building cabinets hanging TV's, ceiling fans. He also works on his car, so I don't know if that makes a difference with a tool like this. Right now he has a Ryobi drill with some accessories, but he's had it a long time and is not happy with it. He has mentioned Dewalt and Bosch. He wants something he can add to over time. Please, any help is really appreciated. I cannot find info telling me what the differenc is between a driver and a drill. I also saw something called a drill fastener. ????
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy95 View Post

Impact Driver or Impact Drill, which one to buy?
There is no meaningful distinction between these terms

As to "something he can add to over time" that's about picking a brand and sticking with it
so when you buy new or additional tools the batteries and chargers etc match.

Quote:
My husband is quite handy but mentioned he'd like an impact drill.
Please, any help is really appreciated.
If you had mentioned to him that you would like a new dress...
would you prefer that he went out to a store to shop for something...
or that he take you to a dress shop to pick out what you like and fits?

Point is there is NO percentage in YOU making these choices for him or asking any other guy to do it for you.
I have my preferences (DeWalt) but Bosch makes a great tool too as does Milwaukee and Makita and, and...
FTR... the Ryobi's are just fine too for most weekender type users and uses.

hth

Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks. A little old fashioned analogy, but I appreciate the point you made. He won't spend the money on himself, preferring to make do with what he has, so perhaps a gift card to Home Depot (or the like) is best. Then he can decide.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 AM

61 posts, read 325,946 times
Definitely go with the a common brand so batteries can be shared. Since he asked for DeWalt and I'm fond of DeWalt myself, I'd recommend this one: Amazon.com: DEWALT DC725KA 18-Volt Cordless Compact Hammer Drill/Driver: Home Improvement

It is a 1/2 inch impact/hammer drill/driver which is extremely versatile. 18 volts will give him plenty of portable power. DeWalt is excellent quality and this drill has great reviews. I'm sure he'd love it.

Edit: This drill probably won't do much good for working on the car though. He will need an impact wrench for that and possible an air wrench which is much more involved. Here is a DeWalt 18 volt impact wrench he can add on to later if he wants: http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-DEWA..._bs_15708671_2

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,347,342 times
About 2-3 years ago, I go something like this set for Christmas:

R9651 X4 18V 5PC Combo Kit-R9651 at The Home Depot

I mainly wanted the hammer drill and thought I'd never use the impact driver as the hammer drill can do most of the same things. Guess what? I only use the hammer drill for drilling holes and use the impact driver for anything that needs to be screwed on/off. The next thing I thought I'd rarely use was the circular saw. Now, it's the first thing I grab instead of my corded one.

You'd really surprise him if you get him a full set of battery operated tools. Also, I believe Ridgid still offers a lifetime replacement of batteries if you fill out the warranty and send in proof of purchase.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,737,425 times
A nicely/creatively/suggestively (hint) wrapped gift card to Lowes or Home Depot. Let him select.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM

668 posts, read 1,905,254 times
If you buy him a DeWalt battery operated impact drill or driver, get thier 'good battery'!!

I bought a combo pack of DeWalt, (the brand I only use, until then), and they gave garbage batteries with the pack!! The Trim Saw only went 6 inches before the battery went dead, (this was after a full charge too!!), and the only thing I could use the batter on effectively was the reciprocating saw!!

I contacted DeWalt, and was told I had to buy 'new batteries'...Uh, I just spent hundreds of dollars on your combo set, and you want me to BUY NEW BATTERIES? Fuggedaboutit... Never bought another DeWalt too again.

Now, its a moot point at being partially disabled and cant do any more woodworking, (just cant stand up anymore, with out serious pain), so, my woodworking days are over...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times
Is this something he would use more than 5 times in the next year? If not, perhaps rent one. Most people get along fine with standard tools. Consider renting one and getting all the jobs that require this tool done at once.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM

I will definitely look into better batteries. Thanks for the input!
Be Well!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM

50 posts, read 150,334 times
I have never been a fan of DeWalt (too many burnt out motors and defective batteries).. I like Milwaukee, Ridgid, and Ryobi (in that order). Milwaukee has the best quality, Ridgid has great quality and an awesome warranty, Ryobi is perfect for the DIY/Weekend Warrior.. they have an extremely versatile platform that allows you to add on using the same batteries (I think it is called the One+ system).. I know Ryobi has made changes to their products (Lithium Batteries) since being bought, so it may be worth it to give them another try given its price..

As for the Tool, I would recommend a compact driver.. small enough to fit in smaller spaces with little/no sacrifice to power..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or