Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM

32 posts, read 146,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, my question is about the new non-salt water conditioners, not the so called magnetic "magic" devices, but the ones that use a catalyst to form calcium crystaline structures that are stable, they don't attach (bind) to your pipes and fixtures. I think they are used as descalers in industrial applications.

I was wondering if anyone has one, or has heard of anyone who has one. This is a new technology and I know that the material used in the conditioner was new to the market in early 2006. Example companies are Water Filter USA, Aqua Cera, Quality water treatment. The media companies are CWG USA/GmbH and Melstream, that I have found anyway.

I understand the chemistry, and it seems like it would work, that is the chemistry works, but the question is "does" it work?

I know that there has been alot of new developments in zeolite materials, actually molecular nanotechnology in particular (sounds a little StarTrek I know) and I have found patents for just such materials. I just can't seem to find anyone who actually has a unit in operation.

It would be great if it did, no salty water anymore and I actually perfer to deal with the Ca+ and Mg+ build up then the salt water. So this would be great for me, also I like the eviromental aspect, I hate to waste water .

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I don't know anything about this, but I too would love to hear more about it.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,095 times
Default Non Salt Water Softener

Hi, I reside in the UK and found the site becuase of the question you asked about non salt water softeners. Unfortunately I don't know the answer but am struggling with the same issue.

Did you ever get a reply that assisted you? Some of the websites look really convincing; I have mailed some of them for further information and asked if they service the UK.

If you have received a useful reply or been convinced that the systems work I would appreciate being let into the information.

Best regards

Stuart

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,016 times
Default Magnetic water conditioners

I live in an area of extermely hard water. After some research, I settled on a non-electric salt-based softener that is noted to used less regen water and salt.

An excellent discussion on softeners/conditioners is ....

[url=http://www.csicop.org/si/9801/powell.html]Magnetic Water Treatment and Magnetic Fuel Treatment (Skeptical Inquirer January 1998)[/url]

Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
That link don't seem to work.

Would be interesting to see one in operation.

The drill on most of this stuff, is don't buy too much into the theory or the sales hype. More can you show me an application that I can go see, talk to the users, etc, etc.

There is a lot of industrial type stuff along this line. Something where a crystaline structure gets modified or morphed for a particular reason. That may or may not work as slick as hyped. Some of them can be pretty good maintenance hogs. I had some experiences along those lines. It did work but the teething problems can be a bear.

Any time somebody is hyping the better mousetrap, especially at the consumer level, is totally affordable, low (better yet no) maintenance, then keep the hands in the pocket and ask all the questions. Think I would have to have a local dealer, would not trust a remote shipment. The better mousetrap should sweep the market if it really works with anything to do with water purification or conditioning.

Might also be a question about crystals after being treated. Lot of this type of stuff likes to backslide after it sits a spell. Or it become a rogue element and tries to eat up New Jersey.

After comment:

Duh, Ok, the link worked after I did it above in that form. Must have been the magnetic influence of my keying devices. Am I good or what???? Maybe can recycle this keyboard to clean soap scum.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
The systems that use salt are proven and effective. They do not add salt to the water, just using sodium ions to replace calcium and magnesium ions in the water. What are the advantages to the alternatives?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 56,323 times
Default No salt softener

No salt softeners have been around for awhile. i have had one in my home for several years and yes they do work. I have an aqua cera and it does a great job. If you read about them closely you will find that they are not a traditional softener and in fact not a real softener at all since no salt is used. They give you the benefits, i.e. no calcium build up on things, glasses dont scratch in dishwasher etc but you can actually drink the water, feed it to animals or water with it. Have a great day mclion

Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Would this be the same as a system like Kinetico? My inlaws installed one a year or so ago and they love it. I don't really have any experience using their water for a shower or laundry though.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 AM

Hi
The only problem with ion exchange is the amount of salt that is put back into the serwers and into the land and the amount of salt one consumes if they drink the water. No real green or medically sound

Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 AM

I believe Doulton usa services theunited kingdom and they have a good product in the aqua cera label. It does what it is supposed to do. Just info. Dennis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House