U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 PM

121 posts, read 385,583 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a very nice quality built '07 home. The laundry room is set up for a gas dryer and not electric. Does not have the 30-amp 240-volt outlet. Had one electrician quote me $1,200!! Might as well just buy a gas dryer at that cost. I really don't want to purchase a new dryer, as I would probolby spend the money for a matching washer. My current set is only 2 years old. I will be getting more quotes, as I can't believe it would cost that much to run a wire and change an outlet. This home has extensive electrical upgrades in and out.
Is it normal for a newer home to only have gas OR electric and not both?

(I have no preference in either. Now that I've been presented with the issue I think gas is smarter for saving money and energy. We've always had electric dryers and always had a apartment or home that they were compatible with)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 AM

39,396 posts, read 47,442,646 times
Gas is smarter if possible. It's cheaper.
The electrical cost $1200.00 seems to be in line with installing a box in the wall, fishing the new wiring out to the circuit breaker box, installing a separate new breaker, etc. Contractors usually charge from portal to portal and for picking up supplies and delivereing them to the job.
If the original buyer did not request from the builder to install an electrical outlet would probably be the fact that they were only going to use gas and didn't want to pay for something they were not going to use. Some builders automatically install for both gas and elecetric, some don't.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 AM

890 posts, read 1,525,478 times
Well, when we arrived here we had to sell our perfectly good gas dryer for an electric model. I much prefer gas dryers and stoves for that matter. They tend to be little more expensive up front, but cheaper to operate in the long run. I'll even go out on a limb and say they perform better - the stove especially.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Hanging the laundry out on the line could save some bucks on the electric bill..

Old 12-16-2011, 02:40 AM

271 posts, read 838,882 times
Seems fine to me. When building a house someone (builder or owner) chooses to use a gas appliance or electric. There is no need to outfit for electric if gas is chosen. This is also true for the stove. Similarly, there is no need to run a gas line if choices are electric appliances. It is probably also cheaper to run a gas line all else being equal.

Gas dryers are fine and probably cheaper in the long run. IIRC, Consumer Reports prefers them for performance and cost.

The price quoted to add electric line doesn't surprise me. If you are set on electric, get quotes to test the price)as you are planning. If similarly priced, I'd buy the gas one. Also I wouldn't bother with a new washer (unless unhappy with current one) but that is obviously personal preference.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 AM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
...laundry room is set up for a gas dryer and not electric. Does not have the 30-amp 240-volt outlet. ...
Is it normal for a newer home to only have gas OR electric and not both?
Yes. If the house has gas service then 99% of builders will use it for every application they can.
Electrical appliances are used as an "oh well, guess we have to" back up only.

I hope you like your new gas dryer.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Sell your electric dryer and enjoy a new gas dryer. They're much less expensive to operate in the long run.

And keep your current washer. It won't work any less efficiently if it doesn't match the dryer.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,543,408 times
Can't you get a matching model in the gas version?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM

55,571 posts, read 54,174,429 times
I had to get a 220 line run and outlet installed for an electric dryer (no gas available) in my condo when I moved in last year. The previous owners never had a dryer, just a washing machine.

It cost me $250, not $1200.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
The materials needed... J-box, receptacle, cover plate, X feet of 10/3 romex, breaker and the other minor bits are all commonly available and not very expensive (all told? less than $100; maybe less than $60).
The time needed to do the work of installing the materials shouldn't be more than an hour or so on site
(if the electrical panel is in sight of or is in similarly easy access to the laundry area)
Some counties require permits and even inspections too.

Material + mark up = $X
Two hours (w/travel) at qualified licensed insured contractor rates = $Y
Possible permit cost and issues. = $Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to get a 220 line run and outlet installed for an electric dryer... It cost me $250, not $1200.
Then (in most areas) I'd say that you got a real bargain on this X+Y+Z exercise...
and I'd agree that $1200 is high; maybe way high.
---

I'd still buy a gas dryer (and sell the electric dryer).

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or