Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by balewis View Post
Does anyone know what grade "Golden Oak" granite is, and an approximate price range? I am considering using it, and have no basis for comparison. Thanks. b.
Golden oak colored granite is not really granite. It is a man made product just like Quartz. It has the same color as Miniwax's stain called by the same name. It is food safe unlike granite and is much much more heavier then granite. This fake granite is manufactured Marva Companies and imported from Italy.

The cost is slightly more then real granite. This should be your color.
Attached Thumbnails
So sick of builder's grade oak grain cabinets!-aoak.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 69,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Golden oak colored granite is not really granite. It is a man made product just like Quartz. It has the same color as Miniwax's stain called by the same name. It is food safe unlike granite and is much much more heavier then granite. This fake granite is manufactured Marva Companies and imported from Italy.

The cost is slightly more then real granite. This should be your color.
Hello, I have a granite in my kitcen called. Golden oak. We picked out the slab and had it fabricated by the granite guys. It is mined in southern india and is from the mesozoic era. Has rivers flowing through it with minor pitting. Cost is about $55 per sq ft.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Nice job! The granite really pulls everything together; the floor is gorgeous. You're right, now there's more going on in the room and the oak cabinets aren't the focal point in a sea of white.

The dining furniture, the fabrics, the hardware all look great. I even like the chandelier. LOL I use the word even because I'm not crazy about that sort of fixture, but I really like the one that you chose.

I think that you need to find something to put on those wall spaces by the sink. You should make it look as though you demanded wall space there so that you could use it in a particular way. You could mount candle sconces or hang hand painted tiles or strings of dried chilies and braided garlic, whatever strikes your fancy. It seems the only awkward space in the kitchen. Everything else that you did was well thought out and looks spectacular so I convinced that you'll come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanica View Post
After 7 yrs of living with these cabinets here is what we did :
New Brazilian Teak Floors, new Granite "golden oak" , new Oil Rubbed bronze hardware and faucets. New Island top with some curves and an Island sink for interest. I added lots of color with drapery and a crystal chandelier. I still don't like my cabinets, but there is enough going on to keep me from focusing on them. We are still working on the backsplash and new stove and dishwasher (all steel).

Picasa Web Albums - Monica - Home decor He...
http://http://picasaweb.google.com/l...ey=sU-rSS8Nkh4

Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 69,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Nice job! The granite really pulls everything together; the floor is gorgeous. You're right, now there's more going on in the room and the oak cabinets aren't the focal point in a sea of white.

The dining furniture, the fabrics, the hardware all look great. I even like the chandelier. LOL I use the word even because I'm not crazy about that sort of fixture, but I really like the one that you chose.

I think that you need to find something to put on those wall spaces by the sink. You should make it look as though you demanded wall space there so that you could use it in a particular way. You could mount candle sconces or hang hand painted tiles or strings of dried chilies and braided garlic, whatever strikes your fancy. It seems the only awkward space in the kitchen. Everything else that you did was well thought out and looks spectacular so I convinced that you'll come up with something.
Thank you for such generous compliments.
I hand painted the chandelier myself to match the colors in the drapes...quite tedious but so worth it. Brings me joy everytime I see it.
I am looking for a fixture for over the island. Probably a french lantern style so that it would illuminate the entire kitchen (we don't have recessed lighting).
I like your idea about the garlic / chilies hanging - since I am going for a elegant country kitchen style it would work beautifully....thank you.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
The chilies would work with the window fabrics. For what it's worth, this is the kind of tile that I had in mind.

Google Image Result for http://www.jennihopfinger.com/hopfinger/ProdImages/Copy-(2)-of-wildflower-tiles-3.jpg

I couldn't get the tile page to stick. Tiles - fruits and vegetables is about half way down the page on the right.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
For my price range I'm not going to be able to get custom cherry cabinets What can I do with these blah cabinets I see in every other home for sale? I would love to install seeded glass panels on all the top cabinets and dress them up with some nice hardware. I also would want to put some paneling or wainscoting around the island. Well, I would like to hire someone to do it so it would look professional. Anyone dressed up their builder's grade cabinets?
I have the same ugly cabinets in my kitchen. I chose to paint them black and my kitchen walls a barn red. We also added moulding on the top of the cabinets which really takes it up a notch (this one thing alone adds alot to the look). I love the way my kitchen turned out, although it does get a bit dark with the dark colors.

I also saw a blog where they took the same builder grade cabinets and added bead board to the inset (middle) filled the gaps and painted them white (obviously you could do any color), you could continue the bead board onto the island. I wish I would have saw that idea before I painted mine.

Mod Cut: Terms of Service Violation

Good luck, your kitchen has GREAT potential!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-16-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House