Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times

Advertisements

So I walk out to get the newspaper this morning, and guess what's lying on the ground...our basketball hoop/pole! This thing is over 20 years old, and I guess it just rusted out towards the bottom of the pole, fell over and died. The ONLY good thing about this situation is that it fell backwards...had it fallen forward, it would have hit my car!

So how do we remove the part of the pole that's still stuck in the ground? It sticks up about a good 8-10 inches, and I'm pretty sure it's filled with concrete. Oy vey...this is gonna be a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
So I walk out to get the newspaper this morning, and guess what's lying on the ground...our basketball hoop/pole! This thing is over 20 years old, and I guess it just rusted out towards the bottom of the pole, fell over and died. The ONLY good thing about this situation is that it fell backwards...had it fallen forward, it would have hit my car!

So how do we remove the part of the pole that's still stuck in the ground? It sticks up about a good 8-10 inches, and I'm pretty sure it's filled with concrete. Oy vey...this is gonna be a job.
This is something a handy man can do for you.
It's really not a big deal. You'll get over it.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
Might go easier than you think. Just depends on how much cement the previous person dumped in the hole. My husband and I have removed cyclone fences that were a breeze. Then we moved here and the previous owner, a very proud Marine put up a flag pole in the front yard. He must have put in several bags of cement because I dug around it for hours. HOURS! The mushroom of cement was 3 feet wide and at least 3 feet deep. We finally gave up and cut the pole at ground level and covered it back up.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
all you need are a shovel and some time

Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Might go easier than you think. Just depends on how much cement the previous person dumped in the hole. My husband and I have removed cyclone fences that were a breeze. Then we moved here and the previous owner, a very proud Marine put up a flag pole in the front yard. He must have put in several bags of cement because I dug around it for hours. HOURS! The mushroom of cement was 3 feet wide and at least 3 feet deep. We finally gave up and cut the pole at ground level and covered it back up.
That is what I was going to suggest as well

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We finally gave up and cut the pole at ground level and covered it back up.
If you have any mercy toward the people that will own the house after you, don't do this. My yard is littered with posts cut off at ground level, and it makes placing new fence posts, landscaping, etc. very difficult.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you have any mercy toward the people that will own the house after you, don't do this. My yard is littered with posts cut off at ground level, and it makes placing new fence posts, landscaping, etc. very difficult.
Don't cover it up. Dig it up and remove it.

I don't really care for the people that may own the house after me, but I wouldn't let that keep me from doing the job right. Years down the line you're bound to encuonter the "cover up" and curse the people who decided not to take care of it then.

I might leave it until the ground is thawed and softer though...

Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Where does the pole enter the ground? Blacktop? Concrete? Dirt?

As far as how to proceed it depends on the answer to the above question and what happens from there. I wouldn't leave an exposed section of pole but if for example you have to remove more than six inches of material to get to the concrete base and it's not moving at all and you can see there is giant slab of concrete cutting it off below the surface of the ground is perfectly reasonable option IMO. Just make sure you don;t cut it off until you have decided what to do, the pipe can help provide leverage, handle etc. If there is enough of it you might even be able to get enough leverage by using a rope tied to it and pull it right oput of the ground with a vehicle if the installation was poor. Note I said rope and not chain.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-02-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
all you need are a shovel and some time
Just a shovel? I guess just s hovel would work but life gets easier with a pick, a large bar and possibly jackhammer for this.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's in the front landscaping. Either I kept digging and hit the irrigation line or put a flower pot on the spot. I chose the flower pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House