Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times

Advertisements

We are currently building a new home and opted out of getting the fireplace and now I'm regretting it, since I've heard they are good for resale and add a nice cozy feel to the home. I stopped by a fireplace store to inquire if fireplaces can be added at a later date and for how much $$$. They told me direct vent fireplaces can be installed easily later on, and all you need is an exterior wall. They told me the cost installed would be $3,000-$5,000 depending on the mantle face I choose. Our builder was going to charge us $5,200 for a direct vent fireplace with a ceramic face so this is actually less expensive to do it later. Has anyone ever done this? (Added a direct vent fireplace later?) Does it look the same as those that are installed while the house is under construction? I'm confused because those that are installed during construction stick out of the exterior of the house by a few feet so I'm not sure how they install them after the house is already constructed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 116,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
We are currently building a new home and opted out of getting the fireplace and now I'm regretting it, since I've heard they are good for resale and add a nice cozy feel to the home. I stopped by a fireplace store to inquire if fireplaces can be added at a later date and for how much $$$. They told me direct vent fireplaces can be installed easily later on, and all you need is an exterior wall. They told me the cost installed would be $3,000-$5,000 depending on the mantle face I choose. Our builder was going to charge us $5,200 for a direct vent fireplace with a ceramic face so this is actually less expensive to do it later. Has anyone ever done this? (Added a direct vent fireplace later?) Does it look the same as those that are installed while the house is under construction? I'm confused because those that are installed during construction stick out of the exterior of the house by a few feet so I'm not sure how they install them after the house is already constructed?
I did the same mistake and by the time I realized that the fireplace may be a important selling feature it was too late. Our sales rep told us today that the permits were already applied for and it is too late to change any thing.

I did a poll on this forum and look at the feedback.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...lace-poll.html

Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:

I can't answer your question, but will be interested in the responses. We bought a home last year that has an unvented fireplace on an outside wall. I'd like to turn it into a vented one, but not sure if that's worth the added cost.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slau View Post
I did the same mistake and by the time I realized that the fireplace may be a important selling feature it was too late. Our sales rep told us today that the permits were already applied for and it is too late to change any thing.

I did a poll on this forum and look at the feedback.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...lace-poll.html
Yep, our builder was the same way. Once we signed off on our upgrades, they wouldn't let us change ANYTHING. We didn't get it because we thought it was a lot of money we could be spending on other upgrades and we thought it took up valuable big screen T.V. wall space. But apparently, fireplaces are VERY important to everyone else! At least we know we can add one later at a reasonable cost, but I'm still not sure how they go about installing them at a later date. You know, that box that sticks out the side of the house when they are installed during construction of the home? How do they do that later on? I asked the fireplace store I checked out how the exterior of the house looks when they are installed later but their explanation just confused me more. Good luck with your new home, we close on ours next week.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM

13 posts, read 116,686 times
Quote:
Yep, our builder was the same way. Once we signed off on our upgrades, they wouldn't let us change ANYTHING. We didn't get it because we thought it was a lot of money we could be spending on other upgrades and we thought it took up valuable big screen T.V. wall space. But apparently, fireplaces are VERY important to everyone else! At least we know we can add one later at a reasonable cost, but I'm still not sure how they go about installing them at a later date. You know, that box that sticks out the side of the house when they are installed during construction of the home? How do they do that later on? I asked the fireplace store I checked out how the exterior of the house looks when they are installed later but their explanation just confused me more. Good luck with your new home, we close on ours next week.
I spoke with a private contractor about this.
He says it involves hiring a plumber who has the license to pull a gas line to the outside wall where we require the fireplace.

If you need a box like the one's that we see on new homes they have to cut open the wall and fit the box and redo that portion of the siding. Requires a permit i as it involves cutting through the insulation.

The second option is to just cut a hole in the wall for the vent oulet. The fireplace will be protruding inside the house and we could go in for a Direct vent zero clearance fireplace which start at $1500 plus labor and permit and inspection fees and would cost anywhere around 3 to 4K.

Good luck with you closing and New Home.

Enjoy!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 38,947 times
fireplace is already there but need someone to add a single pipe burner for natural gas - already has one but it looks corroded

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
You can also opt for a free standing direct vent stove. They are gaining in popularity, as well. You can get them in wood or gas.

TIARA I Gas Fireplace Stoves from Heat & Glo

Napoleon Wood burning Inserts (http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_all.html - broken link)

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,527 times
It really depends on the look you're going after. With the box protruding outside, your fireplace front is flush with the wall. If you build it so that it protrudes into the room, it will probably be cheaper since you won't have to pour a slab outside and cut open a huge wall and maybe resupport studs, etc. But you have a fireplace protruding into the room, but if you do it on the center of the wall, it gives you the opportunity to build deep shelves on both sides of the fireplace and also a niche for your tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House