Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

We need new carpet pretty much throughout our house. I did some quick measurements and come up with us needing about 1600 sq feet of carpet. If we did an average carpet, say in a frieze, how much does that typically run installed? There are two stairways included in that price, one with 14 steps, the other with 13 (5 steps, landing, right turn then the rest of the stairs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We need new carpet pretty much throughout our house. I did some quick measurements and come up with us needing about 1600 sq feet of carpet. If we did an average carpet, say in a frieze, how much does that typically run installed? There are two stairways included in that price, one with 14 steps, the other with 13 (5 steps, landing, right turn then the rest of the stairs).

Varies greatly on what type of carpeting you buy. Typically weight and fiber type is the most common contributors to cost.

Are you doing the tear out?

Is carpet only being placed where there is existing carpet? (Tack strip already in place).

Are you replacing the pad?

Any transitions needed?

Are the stairs Roman Capped and/or pie shaped? Stair open on one side and need to be rolled over the edges with spindles?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Varies greatly on what type of carpeting you buy. Typically weight and fiber type is the most common contributors to cost.

Are you doing the tear out?

Is carpet only being placed where there is existing carpet? (Tack strip already in place).

Are you replacing the pad?

Any transitions needed?

Are the stairs Roman Capped and/or pie shaped? Stair open on one side and need to be rolled over the edges with spindles?
Replacing existing carpeting

Price with and without tear-out please

Pad is 16 years old, probably replace that too?

Transitions meaning going from say carpet to tile? Not really, just at the bottom of the one stairway-goes from carpet to wood flooring. Everything else is just carpet to carpet--oh, 3 doorways into bathrooms I guess too (carpet to vinyl flooring).

I am not sure what "shape" the stairs are, they are stairs, rectangular. No rolling carpet around spindles or anything fancy.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Replacing existing carpeting

Price with and without tear-out please

Pad is 16 years old, probably replace that too?

Transitions meaning going from say carpet to tile? Not really, just at the bottom of the one stairway-goes from carpet to wood flooring. Everything else is just carpet to carpet--oh, 3 doorways into bathrooms I guess too (carpet to vinyl flooring).

I am not sure what "shape" the stairs are, they are stairs, rectangular. No rolling carpet around spindles or anything fancy.
Without tear out, including pad you should be looking around $4/sf.

They may charge extra for moving furniture, especially if you have large or specialty furniture.

Tear out you are probably looking at another $0.20 a foot.

Easy way to save money....

Tear out the rug and pad yourself. Move the furniture out of the way. You'll save hundreds.

Also, check out your local flooring store in lieu of big orange or blue. My parents owned a flooring store and my brother still owns one today. Constantly beat those big box stores in price and service.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Without tear out, including pad you should be looking around $4/sf.

They may charge extra for moving furniture, especially if you have large or specialty furniture.

Tear out you are probably looking at another $0.20 a foot.

Easy way to save money....

Tear out the rug and pad yourself. Move the furniture out of the way. You'll save hundreds.

Also, check out your local flooring store in lieu of big orange or blue. My parents owned a flooring store and my brother still owns one today. Constantly beat those big box stores in price and service.
We used to have a guy in our town that installed carpet. He worked out of his house, had deals with warehouses and was about 1/2 of what the big boxes cost. Unfortunately he retired and moved out of state. Hopefully I can find someone else like him.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Hopefully I can find someone else like him.
They're out there.
Drive by the 7-11 nearest the carpet distributor paces in the AM.
Look for the one with rolls of carpet and pad sticking out the back of the van.

As to pricing... the cost is in the corners.

hth

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
No matter what type of carpet you do buy, not not try and save by going with cheap padding. Good padding will increase the life of your carpet, make it look better and will feel really good under your feet. I learned this lesson the hard way. Never buy cheap padding!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Not sure about carpeting for the room but I use a local CL guy to do steps.. My recent carpet replacement for a rental. 19 steps with 3'x3.5' landing. $150 includes everything but I had to remove all old carpeting, staples, padding and strips.

My experience with big box carpet installer in the past was $12 steps for labor only.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
I've just gotten quotes myself so I may be of some help. I priced ours at Lowes. They install for $100 period. 1 room or 5. They do charge $7 per step so factor that in. Timing is an issue for us because once we close we have only a few days to be out of our rental and I want the new carpet in BEFORE we move all of our heavy bedroom funiture in. So I'm goingwith instock carpet..less than $1/sqft. I found an awesome one Dupont makes from corn for $2.48 but it's not stock. Padding is $.48 for regular and .68 for the deluxe.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
I found that Lowes gave us the best pricing up front. Lowes offers a written quote to us, and then Empire Carpet had the exact carpet we wanted. They beat Lowes pricing. Installation was professional and on time .. only down side was that the padding that was provided seemed a bit lower quality than what Lowes offered. Lesson learned, but we are happy with the carpet and install we got from Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House