U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM

43,014 posts, read 49,321,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I do have a drawer in the kitchen for miscellaneous stuff, but only certain specific miscellaneous stuff that doesn't logically seem to go anywhere else! Tape, twist ties, kitchen scissors, string, my gardening gloves and hand gardening tools, random keys, extra coax cable for the cable TVs, and so on, go there.
I wouldn't want twist ties and kitchen scissors in the same drawer with gardening gloves and tools, no matter how clean they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,846,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
)And if someone ain't got a junk drawer and NO EXTRA KEYS, you just haven't lived enough or long enough.
It is also a requirement that most, if not all, of those extra keys not be marked so you have NO IDEA what they are for.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM

501 posts, read 680,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
As others have noted, it's easy to be organized when you live alone. I used to have a junk drawer (mainly because I thought everyone should have one) but it drove me crazy. I have small baskets in all my drawers to organize items like rubber bands, pens, post-its, hairbrushes, etc.

Even my garage is uber-organized...not a junk-drawer or junk-anything anywhere.
WOW!!! I've never seen such a well organized garage in my life! How to you become so organized? - I'd need some serious tips to get the garage to look like that. Seriously, I'm in awe.

We have junk drawers in every single room of a 10 room house including closets in the basement. But we are working on getting rid of some of this junk but the thing is it could be useful junk (or treasure) someday that's the problem. I think we may be hopeless.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM

25,391 posts, read 31,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wouldn't want twist ties and kitchen scissors in the same drawer with gardening gloves and tools, no matter how clean they are.
Are they like matter and anti-matter, and they'll vaporize the universe if they're in the same drawer together?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are they like matter and anti-matter, and they'll vaporize the universe if they're in the same drawer together?
Mod Cut
Garden gloves and tools are used in the dirt.

Kitchen scissors and twist ties are used on food and things that touch food.

I wouldn't want particles of dirt getting on my kitchen scissors.

But that's just me being picky.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Keeping it friendly

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM

3,993 posts, read 3,320,386 times
"A place for everything and everything in it's place."

If everything has a place there is no need for a junk drawer. I agree that it can be an ongoing battle to keep junk and clutter out of the home but the results are well worth it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Are you really confused?
No, just employing a little humor. You know what the unemployment rate is these days. Not to mention employing some Star Trek references; those guys could use a boost these days, as well.

Well, sort of, because kitchen scissors and scissors stored in the kitchen are usually two different things. I don't care if my twisties -- which don't touch food -- or my scissors stored in the kitchen drawer touch dirt.

My kitchen scissors, on the other hand, are stored in the knife block and/or knife drawer where they belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
"A place for everything and everything in it's place."
Quite right. And its place is the junk drawer.

Quote:
If everything has a place there is no need for a junk drawer..
What? I should have one entire drawer just for the scissors, another for the tape, another for the screwdriver, another for the matches, another for ... Well, you get my drift. I'd wind up with a house of 45,000 square feet if every item was forbidden to share a drawer with a dissimilar item.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Well, sort of, because kitchen scissors and scissors stored in the kitchen are usually two different things.

My kitchen scissors, on the other hand, are stored in the knife block and/or knife drawer where they belong.
My post was in response to NOLA2SGF, not you.

If you read NOLA2SGF's post, she specifically said "kitchen scissors."

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Keeping it friendly

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
My post was in response to NOLA2SGF, not you.
Then you should have quoted NOLA2SGF in your post, and not me.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Then you should have quoted NOLA2SGF in your post, and not me.
I did!

Post #41: Do you have a Junk Drawer in your home?

And then you quoted me asking me WHY I felt that way?

And I quoted your question to me and responded to you.

And then you went on a rant about different types of scissors kept in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, my initial post you quoted was all about "kitchen scissors."

Mod Cut

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-15-2012 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Keeping it friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House