Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

YES.......Always a junk drawer. My mom had one and now my daughters too.
It is a "catch all" your right. Scotch tape, picture adhesive, small flash light, pencils, pens, furniture touch up markers. Ok now here is more.......the note slips, postettes, pens. New receipts from purchases. Keys to odds and ends,tacks,glue stick......all those things one needs and there is not
a place for.
We do know to go there to find these things though. Its " go to the junk drawer, its there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I Looked around.

We have 9 junk drawers in our bedroom, three in the passage way under the back stairs, two more at the bottom of the back stairs, five in the library, two in the kitchen, one in the dining room, one in the back parlor 9not a true junk drawer it has needles and other things for the Victrola which we no longer have - so maybe that constitutes junk. The kids each have one to five junk drawers. The office has two.

I think we win!
Yes, YOU Win Coldjensens.......That too many junk drawers
Somebody needs to win for counting all those...Congrats to YOU

Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
YES.......Always a junk drawer. My mom had one and now my daughters too.
It is a "catch all" your right. Scotch tape, picture adhesive, small flash light, pencils, pens, furniture touch up markers. Ok now here is more.......the note slips, postettes, pens. New receipts from purchases. Keys to odds and ends,tacks,glue stick......all those things one needs and there is not
a place for.
We do know to go there to find these things though. Its " go to the junk drawer, its there."
I have to add those ties too. Bread ties and other ties.
Then when I am making a flower arrangement....
I sometimes go grab one to hold something.
I also have some hair bands in case I need one quick..
I actually used up the picture gunk today.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
As others have noted, it's easy to be organized when you live alone. I used to have a junk drawer (mainly because I thought everyone should have one) but it drove me crazy. I have small baskets in all my drawers to organize items like rubber bands, pens, post-its, hairbrushes, etc.

Even my garage is uber-organized...not a junk-drawer or junk-anything anywhere.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The drawer you describe is called the mommy drawer. Junk drawers are elsehwere. There must be 20-30 of them. Drawers are mostly used for junk. What else are they for?
When I read the OP, I thought, "Most of my drawers are junk drawers!"

Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I didn't see where you mentioned YOUR stuff, just your mother's.

Scissors - in the desk.
1000 pens - don't have 1000. Pens, a sharpie, highlighter are in a cup by the appointment book.
Coupons - in a basket in the kitchen, organized by month.
Rubber bands - in the desk
Sunglasses - in each car
Flashlight - in a drawer in each bedroom
Random keys - don't have any
We can be neighbors, but I could never live with you. You're too organized!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
I sure, not a lot of junk in it but i have one. Mainly for small hand tools and outlet attachments and other odds and ends.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We can be neighbors, but I could never live with you. You're too organized!

It's a curse, I'll admit! But I can't help myself...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
This is an amusing thread. So many funny things, brought back memories on the junk room thing. But hey, what's wrong with a junk drawer!?! It's a perfectly normal thing to put odds and ends in a drawer in the kitchen, where all the drawers are for metallic scary stuff. Our drawers in this house are much smaller than our old one, so we have two junk drawers. When we moved, ohhhhh, I could not wait to find our junk drawer stuff!!! We NEED that stuff. As for organizing it, that's just it, you cannot organize junk.

As for a small hammer, I have a full-sized hammer in ours (on diagonal), DUCT TAPE (an essential for modern living), nails, old dog tags, old keys, curtain clips, tacks, batteries, marker, scotch tape (a luxury in a junk drawer), loose change (specifically for when cash runs out), screw driver (husband has HIS stuff in HIS toolbox). I'm sure there's other junk in there, and I don't know what's in the second drawer. I just know when I'm looking for it and it ain't in the first drawer, it's in the second one. Now, our flashlight is so huge, it sits next to the junk drawer on top of the kitchen fish tank.

Now, I read where others put junk in other parts of the house, as if that solved the problem, but folks, a junk drawer is not a problem becuz nothing beats ONE PLACE where you KNOW that some vital whatnot IS GONNA BE. And if someone ain't got a junk drawer and NO EXTRA KEYS, you just haven't lived enough or long enough. Smile. (This has been brought to you by the save the junk drawer committee.)

Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I am a great believe in "a place for everything, and everything in its place".

I do have a drawer in the kitchen for miscellaneous stuff, but only certain specific miscellaneous stuff that doesn't logically seem to go anywhere else! Tape, twist ties, kitchen scissors, string, my gardening gloves and hand gardening tools, random keys, extra coax cable for the cable TVs, and so on, go there.

Rubber bands, thumb tacks, and paper clips have a specific spot in a desk drawer, so they don't go in that drawer in the kitchen. Loose change goes in my wallet or in the loose change jar. Pens mostly go in a desk drawer, but a few go in a cup that holds pens on an occasional table by the phone. Hair brushes and hair thingies go in the bathroom. Tools (and nails and screws) go in the tool drawer in the kitchen.

I have a separate small kitchen drawer for flashlights, matches, and candles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House