Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,621,183 times

Advertisements

What are the costs of the systems that can be streamed to phones.

I have considered it before.

Problem is, you get video of the guys showing up. What do you do? I worked in retail, we had full fledge video right of peoples faces using stolen credit cards. Funny you would see them using automated machines and have bags full of stuff they just bought. It usually ended right there. So just because you get people on video, doesn't mean you got them. Still have to figure out who it is and where he is at.

I will say, the result was the guy got caught. The main reason being the vehicle, and the fact Cash for Clunkers, took alot of that gen Explorer off the road. So I would consider the road/driveway out front. I know my brother had a system in his house. Mainly because it was wired to his TV and he can see his kids in the bedroom with a system better then a baby monitor. Even funnier.

this happened on an Orlando forum I was on.

Quote:
I know I haven't been on here in years, but after all the help I did for this community, I am now asking for your help. Yesterday on October 4th, 2010 at around 2:30, my brothers house was burglarized...while his wife was having his baby! The alarm company notified him and called the cops automatically (to which they responded 1.5 hours later!). He called one of his phone in the house and with the way its setup, he was able to listen to some banging sounds as it happened. He thought it may have been his cats, but then he heard his battery backup beeping signifying that something was unplugged. When he arrived at the house, he found (so far at least) only his x-box 360 and his ps3 missing. Not the end of the world but still pretty sucky to have to come home to that right after his wife gave birth. Luckily for my brother, he installed a video surveillance system which recorded the scumbag and his getaway ride. Here is the footage.

East Orlando Burglar caught on camera - Gilbert Sierra was caught on 10/08/2010! - YouTube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
What are the costs of the systems that can be streamed to phones.

I have considered it before.

Problem is, you get video of the guys showing up. What do you do? I worked in retail, we had full fledge video right of peoples faces using stolen credit cards. Funny you would see them using automated machines and have bags full of stuff they just bought. It usually ended right there. So just because you get people on video, doesn't mean you got them. Still have to figure out who it is and where he is at.

I will say, the result was the guy got caught. The main reason being the vehicle, and the fact Cash for Clunkers, took alot of that gen Explorer off the road. So I would consider the road/driveway out front. I know my brother had a system in his house. Mainly because it was wired to his TV and he can see his kids in the bedroom with a system better then a baby monitor. Even funnier.

this happened on an Orlando forum I was on.

East Orlando Burglar caught on camera - Gilbert Sierra was caught on 10/08/2010! - YouTube!

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend. I have seen 8-camera systems with a DVR, that is internet ready for $500.
This one may be way overkill, depending on your application: Swann - Advanced Security Made Easy - DVR8-2600 8 Channel DVR with Smartphone Viewing & 8 x CCD Cameras

(And you can get WAY more sophisticated ones...)
Of course, it also depends on how fast the police show up.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
I just don't want to live like that. We just have a few ADT signs stuck around the house and leave it at that.
Maybe we just chose wisely where we live, but aside from a few wrecked mailboxes, we have never had any incidents to worry about.
I would worry more about developing a "bunker mentality".

Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,390,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just don't want to live like that. We just have a few ADT signs stuck around the house and leave it at that.
Maybe we just chose wisely where we live, but aside from a few wrecked mailboxes, we have never had any incidents to worry about.
I would worry more about developing a "bunker mentality".

The video surveillance is really nice. I can see the visitors who have come, whether packages have arrived, is the pool open, what time did the kids leave, did the cat have a visitor. All accessible from the Internet wherever I am. For $350. Its a no brainer.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM

475 posts, read 1,367,036 times
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm fairly sure this was a one off incident during move in for family across the street.
Truck driver was not a pro by my observations.
If it was kids I think it would have been much more dented or on the ground. Good to know there are options out there.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,096,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm fairly sure this was a one off incident during move in for family across the street.
Truck driver was not a pro by my observations.
If it was kids I think it would have been much more dented or on the ground. Good to know there are options out there.
I was going to ask this, if maybe someone moved or maybe a snow plow, garbage truck etc might have hit it. Just the other day I happened to look out the front window when our garbage company was picking up our trash. The driver got so close to our mailbox I thought for sure he was going to hit it. Since moving in our house we have had a few incidents that made me want to get a system. The first year we were here my husband and I decorated our very large pine tree with christmas lights. It wasn't cheap but as excited homeowners we wanted to do something with that massive tree for the holidays. We spent about 80 bucks in xmas lights. A few days after xmas I noticed the lights didnt turn on. I went out to inspect and saw foot prints in the fresh snow around the tree. The lights were partially ripped off the tree. I suspect teenagers wanting to having some fun tried stealing the damn lights. Idiots. The tree is about 20 feet high. They mangled the lights so a few strands never worked again. We put lights on it for a second and third year. My husband and I agreed if someone tries to take them again we are done putting lights on it. So far so good.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,428,765 times
What is popular around here (well, it IS the granite state), is to put in a granite mailbox post (I think it was 8"x8" or 9"x9"), sunk 3 feet down, and then get one of the 1/8" steel mailboxes. (They look exactly like a normal mailbox). The whole setup looked wonderful.
Only once did someone hit it with a baseball bat (I could see a small scuff). His hands must have stung like h*ll.

Even though half the houses around here have the granite posts, I am not so sure if they meet state/local codes, as they may be considered a 'safety hazard'.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,520,082 times
I have 7 security cams that go into a computer in the front (3 of them) and the other four go into a computer in the back of the house. Have had them at least two years, probably longer. The program in the computer records every time there is movement, and yes, strong winds moving bushes and trees cause it to record, as do some insects.

Our cams have good visuals for approx. 75 feet at night, and double that, daytime but with a street light in front of our property we get even more at night, and they are infrared, full color cams. We bought 'em online at worldeye cam or something like that.

I think once you do you'll be pleased. They are peace of mind and fun, too. Oh, and yes, we have large, two-foot signs right on the outter walls of our house, one in front and one in back. The cams are never turned off and they have batter backup.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
I've considered it, too, but am not that tech-savvy. My neighbor's basement window was broken into at 2 AM when he was HOME and his car was in the driveway...and I was watching TV in my living room with the lights on and curtains open. I didn't see/hear a thing, and my dogs didn't even bark. The neighbor heard the window break and came down and must've scared the guy off. Since then, I have this place lit up with motion-detector lights like the state penitentiary.

Years ago, I had a twin home with a driveway and no garage. I got a new little BMW, and one cold day, I got in the car, shut the door and the passenger window shattered. I thought maybe it was just the cold. Got a new window. Shortly after that, there was a hole in my taillight. Now I'm thinking "BB gun". Got that fixed, and started parking backward in the driveway. Next thing I know, my front fog light has a hole in it. I put the house up for sale and bought a house with a garage. I mean, who can live like that!? Could've used a surveillance system back then...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I have 7 security cams that go into a computer in the front (3 of them) and the other four go into a computer in the back of the house. Have had them at least two years, probably longer. The program in the computer records every time there is movement, and yes, strong winds moving bushes and trees cause it to record, as do some insects.

Our cams have good visuals for approx. 75 feet at night, and double that, daytime but with a street light in front of our property we get even more at night, and they are infrared, full color cams. We bought 'em online at worldeye cam or something like that.

I think once you do you'll be pleased. They are peace of mind and fun, too. Oh, and yes, we have large, two-foot signs right on the outter walls of our house, one in front and one in back. The cams are never turned off and they have batter backup.
That sounds awesome. Did you install them yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House