Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I would definitely not worry about the situation. BUT with that said, I can tell you that landscaping can do wonders to help a house that is not in the traditional style of the neighborhood. A few trees on the corner as you approach by the roadway will hide its "first impression" impact. And once parked in the driveway, then around the porch some pretty bushes, a small ornamental tree, and a garden detracts from any differences in the home to its neighbors. IF they go about selling the place, paint color on the outside can help it blend better with its immediate neighbors, or even the addition of a more traditional frontage by way of a bigger porch and shutters. Also, if the two-car garage sticks out all by its lonesome, again, some trees planted alongside the far driveway and more near the garage can help that. I grew up with a mom who could make a newly built home in suburbia look like a dream, simple tree and shrub planting can do a lot for a home, I learned a lot and do it myself now. But I sure wouldn't mention your concerns to your family! I'm just saying, the future sale, if any, is not all ruined... lots of easy (and hard) ways to make a house blend in a neighborhood. Actually, some people might WANT a house that style... they did... irregardless of what's next door.
Sorry, but whats on your way to the "dream home" you own or want to, that makes all the difference. Appraisals are effected big time by the neighborhood you live in. Never over build or over buy, I have been through more than once. It only takes one mobile home on the road to your dwelling to destroy the top level of a homes worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM

131 posts, read 414,398 times
House is at the head of a small cul-de-sac off a beautiful side street of expensive homes zoned residential. No worries about gas stations or mobile homes. Location was one of their prime concerns. This neighborhood is very stable. Prior to this year the last sale was in 2007. This year there were two. Their house was in the top six of the subdivision in assessed value. Again, the appraisal came in substantially higher than selling price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House