U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 2,584,929 times

Advertisements

I don't have children but have 4 dogs (3 very large) and 2 cats. I was cleaning constantly. When we had to show the house, all the dogs had to leave with us in 2 cars and the cats put in a crate so they didn't get out of the house by accident. I would vacuum as soon as I knew there was a showing. It's really a pain but I knew I had to do it to impress potential buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
Someone here left me a feedback note asking why I was being critical and negative in my post above. This was never my intent. I was simply stating an opinion like everyone else here - I don't think incense and candles are a good idea at an open house and I stated my reasons why - disagreeing with some here does not mean I'm being critical or negative...silly.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-07-2007 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 02:12 PM

482 posts, read 1,620,200 times
Personally I have never gotten the baking cookies/burningcandles/incense thing. It has to be about the person wanting to create ambiance but everyone has such different reactions to what's ambiance and what's not that it's a risk to do anything other than create a fresh, clean environment hopefully void of overly strong smells, even the so-called good smells.

When we showed our condo we did, however, have our New Age-y river rock tabletop fountain plugged in, and the man who ended up being our buyer commented on how much he loved that.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,755,944 times
Too many candles/incense make the buyer wonder what smells you are covering up. best to keep it fresh. I like febreeze and I do like it if the homeowner can throw some cookies in.

shelly

Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM

5,982 posts, read 11,090,492 times
Along the smell line.....I always keep chili, spaghetti sauce, whatever in the freezer. If we found out we were having a showing I popped it in the microwave and thawed it, then put it in the slow cooker. It smells like home to smell real food when you come through the door.

When the Realtors had their open house, I DID bake homemade muffins and left chicken salad mini croissant sandwiches, tea and coffee for them....we've never had a house on the market more than a week. Something's working.... :-)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:15 PM

482 posts, read 1,620,200 times
What do you think about music?
Is it a no-no?
Daily, we always have XM satellite channels on at least one TV. Is it kosher or not kosher to play music at a showing? If it's ok, what genre is ok? Elevator music? Classical? World music?
If it's not a big faux pas I'd love to play ear-pleasing Luau music at a low volume outside on the pool deck, mainly because we have a carved wood totem pole, hibiscus plants, conch shells, friendly rubber iguanas and a bit of a Hawaiian theme there. (Clutter removed )
Yes or no?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,755,944 times
Music is ok if it is very low and not intrusive. Have to be careful with music. Everyones taste are so different and you don't want to turn off a buyer, and "push" them out of the house too early : ) and it has happened.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,633 times
[SIZE=-1]These are some items I share with my clients.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]How do you prepare a house to sell? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3]A: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Doing whatever you can to put your house's best face forward is very important if you want to get close to your asking price or sell as quickly as possible. Short of spending a lot of money, there are several steps people can take to make their home show better:
* Sweep the sidewalk, mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the garden and clean debris from the yard.
* Clean the windows (both inside and out) and make sure the paint is not chipped or flaking. And speaking of paint, if your home was built before 1978, new federal law gives a buyer the right to request a lead inspection. If you think you might have some problems, do the inspection yourself beforehand and make any fixes you can.
* Be sure that the doorbell works.
* Clean and spruce up all rooms, furnishings, floors, walls and ceilings. It's especially important that the bathroom and kitchen are spotless.
* Organize closets.
* Make sure the basic appliances and fixtures work. Get rid of leaky faucets and frayed cords.
* Make sure the house smells good: from an apple pie, cookies baking or spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. Hide the kitty litter.
* Put vases of fresh flowers throughout the house.
* Having pleasant background music playing in the backgroun also will help set your stage.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 PM

318 posts, read 1,412,328 times
I just had to comment here as I am going through the same thing and have 3 kids and 2 dogs. It's tough. I get up and clean every morning. I go and clean all the bathrooms, countertops, kids rooms, kitchen area, etc. Usually when we get a showing...I end up running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!! I always vacuum once a day...and then I tend to mop my floors<I have white ceramic tile and 2 black dogs!!> really good a couple times a week. We keep a towel where we let the dogs in and wipe off their feet.

I always vacuum right before someone comes...Usually I have had the upstairs done but leave the floors that show the hair until the very end. Because it seems that I vacuum and my dogs walk by and there is hair again. It's a never ending battle. So we put the dogs in the basement and take them through the car through the basement. That way they don't go through the house and I vacuum...turn on all the lights...and then whoever mentioned a wetjet swiffer is right on. It is my best friend. I mop my way out the door. However, I noticed my swiffer will leave marks when it gets dirty..So i change the swiffer pads a lot. I will mop one are of my kitchen, then switch the pad, mop the other half, switch the pad. I go through some pads but it doesn't leave a dirty residue that way.

There is also a spray cleaner for glass called sprayway. I found it at target and it said it was "streakless". If you have dogs, then you have noseprints on your windows. I noticed with windex, it would streak the nose prints and looked awful. This cleaner is really good and really does a good job without leaving streaks.

We also have it stipulated that we need 2 hours notice..and so far it has been done...

As for an open house , we had that dilemma . We were going to have one , but what to do with our dogs? Since we knew when the open house was, I going to schedule my dogs for grooming that day. They usually keep them most of the day and that way they were out of the house and they came home smelling clean.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,580,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I'm hoping some of you can give me some good tips for how to 'show' a house. We are planning to sell our house and I need to know how to keep my house clean when I have two kids and two dogs at home??? This is probably a stupid question but how do people keep their houses clean enough to show them while still living in them with toddlers and dogs? I swear I'm going to be cleaning five hours a day. Thanks for your time.
We sold one house FSBO at a large profit. We sold the last house using agents and made a large profit but ate the cost on commission. We sold in a little over a week during the summer.

First, reduce the amount of things you have by at least 1/3. Furniture, toys, etc. You can hide them in a closet, bins, or send them to storage. Reduce clutter on the floors, the rooms and on the walls. Don't leave narcotics in your medicine cabinet since they can suddenly find legs and walk away. Don't leave bank statements and other financial statements on your desk.

Take everything off of the refrigerator door. Clear off the counter tops. Reduce excessive clutter in the pantry and all of the closets. You're trying to make someone believe there is a lot of space in the house.

Next, use a candle that is pleasant and not overpowering.

If you have centralized music play music that soothing or relaxing.

Try to remove a lot of personal items like pictures, etc. You need the buyer to picture his or herself. Not you at the beach with a hamburger and a beachball in hand.

All lights should be on and in working order. All dead bulbs need to be replaced.

Make sure the yard is not cluttered.

Make sure the garage is not cluttered. The buyer wants to picture his or her car or cars in it.

No dishes in the dishwasher or in the sink.

If someone else is showing the house, the dogs shouldn't be there. Especially, since many people are allergic. Some people don't want to consider a house that had a dog since they calculate how much it would cost to deep clean it, multiple it by factor 10 and subtract it from your asking price.

Decorations should be to a minimum. You don't want something distracted by your lamp when they should be considering what they would be doing in that particular room.

Areas that need paint should be painted.

Sweep the deck, porch, lanai, etc. You don't want the person thinking what work it is going to take to keep the area clean.

Watch HGTV House Hunters and see what people pay attention to when they look. They get distracted by many things.

You should not be in the house when showing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House