Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

We had a driving rain all morning long that hit against our south-facing windows. One of our windows leaked pretty bad, and 2 others had lesser leaks. What is the best way to seal these up? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
THAT was helpful information.

How about where? Jamb, sash, or glazing?
What type- Wood, aluminum, vinyl, single hung, or double hung?
Single pane, or IG?
Answer that, then we can talk solutions.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
THAT was helpful information.

How about where? Jamb, sash, or glazing?
What type- Wood, aluminum, vinyl, single hung, or double hung?
Single pane, or IG?
Answer that, then we can talk solutions.
I'm not a window expert, but here are the answers to the best of my knowledge.

How about where? Jamb, sash, or glazing? Don't Know, but it was coming in from the top of the frame and dripping down.

What type- Wood, aluminum, vinyl, single hung, or double hung? Aluminum double hung.

Single pane, or IG? Single Pane

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Often a window leak is not leaking where it appears.

It could be the frams leaking or it could be improper or no flashing.

frequently, flashing is installed backwards to it achtaully throws water tino the wall/room rather than keeping it out.

Lots of questions:

Window tye: Double hung, casement, jalosied, oher?

Materials of window: Wood, metal vinyl, plastic, alumuminim, other?

Siding type; Stucco, brick, wood siding (lap siding, railroad, other?), aluminum, plastic/vinyl, other?

Mount type: Inset, or flush.

Roof type: (mostley do you have an overhang or not?

Age of your house.

Age of windows.

Where do you live.

Where does the leak appear? Top, bottom, sides, corners, middle?

Does it leak in every rain, only heavy rain, only sideways rain (wind blown)?.

Does it also leak when snow is melting off the roof?

how much? just wet walls, water shooting into the room?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Often a window leak is not leaking where it appears.

It could be the frams leaking or it could be improper or no flashing.

frequently, flashing is installed backwards to it achtaully throws water tino the wall/room rather than keeping it out.

Lots of questions:

Window tye: Double hung, casement, jalosied, oher?

Materials of window: Wood, metal vinyl, plastic, alumuminim, other?

Siding type; Stucco, brick, wood siding (lap siding, railroad, other?), aluminum, plastic/vinyl, other?

Mount type: Inset, or flush.

Roof type: (mostley do you have an overhang or not?

Age of your house.

Age of windows.

Where do you live.

Where does the leak appear? Top, bottom, sides, corners, middle?

Does it leak in every rain, only heavy rain, only sideways rain (wind blown)?.

Does it also leak when snow is melting off the roof?

how much? just wet walls, water shooting into the room?

Thanks for the response. I answered the questions about window type to the best of my ability above.

As for the other questions.
Siding is stucco. Mount is flush. Roof does overhang slightly. The house and Windows are 7 years old. The leak appears at the top and drips down, it does not shoot into the room. It only leaks during heavy wind-blown rain. It does not leak during snowmelt. We live in Northern Utah, where the climate is fairly snowy in the winter, but warm and dry in the summer.

Yesterday we did have record amount of rain for one day -- about an inch. Not coincidentally this was the first time we noticed the leak. I believe it has happend in the past, as some of the paint around the window sill has peeled.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Siding is stucco. Mount is flush.

With this information-
I betting there is no flashing above the window unit. Stucco installers were notorious for not installing flashing, or removing and/or damaging flashing when installing their finish. If you recall the SE (especially NC) had an "epidemic" of incorrectly installed stucco systems- mostly EIFS systems. Houses were literally falling apart from the inside out because of water penetration and subsequent termite infestation.
But, if there is in fact flashing installed above the window unit I would surmise that the caulking sealant at the corner has failed.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
It is a matter of a crap install and cheap windows. Windows are not properly flashed above, and sealed behind the stucco. I can't believe anyone is installing single pane windows anymore, and this house is only 7 years old! The seals around the top sash are most likely shot or defective to begin with and allowing wind blown rain in.

You need a good contractor out to take a serious look at your windows. While you are looking for one look for one that uses moisture meters and thermal imaging. You might have water penetration in the wall cavity that requires drying and repair to damaged materials. If water has penetrated in the wall cavity you could wind up with mold if not properly handled.

If you have stucco and not EIFS I would expect that it is very cheap and crappily installed one coat stucco! Have the contractor check that as well.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
With this information-
I betting there is no flashing above the window unit. Stucco installers were notorious for not installing flashing, or removing and/or damaging flashing when installing their finish. If you recall the SE (especially NC) had an "epidemic" of incorrectly installed stucco systems- mostly EIFS systems. Houses were literally falling apart from the inside out because of water penetration and subsequent termite infestation.
But, if there is in fact flashing installed above the window unit I would surmise that the caulking sealant at the corner has failed.

^^ ThiS.

This is especially common with Stucco houses built in the 1980s through early 2000s.

Plus flashing is frequently installed backwards. Instead of overlapping so that the upper flashing covers the lower, it is reversed so that the flashing actually catches water and directs it into the wall.

I have seen houses where they did nto caulk at all, whereh there was only a tiny bead of caulk, or where the caulk had visible gaps. It is nto likely that the caulk has failed in only 7 years. caulk is really durable now. Unfortuantly the quality of workmanship is not always up to snuff.

It is still a bit of a WAG without seeing it. Even seeing it, you can only deduce the most likely cause and eliminate that and see if it solves the problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
It is a matter of a crap install and cheap windows. Windows are not properly flashed above, and sealed behind the stucco. I can't believe anyone is installing single pane windows anymore, and this house is only 7 years old! The seals around the top sash are most likely shot or defective to begin with and allowing wind blown rain in.

You need a good contractor out to take a serious look at your windows. While you are looking for one look for one that uses moisture meters and thermal imaging. You might have water penetration in the wall cavity that requires drying and repair to damaged materials. If water has penetrated in the wall cavity you could wind up with mold if not properly handled.

If you have stucco and not EIFS I would expect that it is very cheap and crappily installed one coat stucco! Have the contractor check that as well.
You already have mold all over your house - guaranteed. Nothing to do withthe windows, everyone has mold in their house. It is only when you get very high conentration of certain kinds that you have a problem. The mold scare thing is massively overblown. (Unless you are one of the 50 or so people severely allegic to mold or you have rare highly toxic mold).

Replacement windows and mold scares are some of the most abused highly profitable home repair businesses out there. You probably do nto need replacement windows and probably do not need mold remediation, but lots of contractors will tell you that you do so they cna make more money. Lots of them will tell you thins just to be safe too. If they tell you no problem and they are worng, you may sue them. If they tell you there is a problem and they are wrong, you just waste a bunch of money, they get a bunch of money and everyone is happy.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You already have mold all over your house - guaranteed. Nothing to do withthe windows, everyone has mold in their house. It is only when you get very high conentration of certain kinds that you have a problem. The mold scare thing is massively overblown. (Unless you are one of the 50 or so people severely allegic to mold or you have rare highly toxic mold).

Replacement windows and mold scares are some of the most abused highly profitable home repair businesses out there. You probably do nto need replacement windows and probably do not need mold remediation, but lots of contractors will tell you that you do so they cna make more money. Lots of them will tell you thins just to be safe too. If they tell you no problem and they are worng, you may sue them. If they tell you there is a problem and they are wrong, you just waste a bunch of money, they get a bunch of money and everyone is happy.
Thanks everyone. I don't think we have a mold problem. We really live in a desert climate, so the house usually has a good chance to dry out after storms.

If it is incorrect / no flashing can I just caulk around the windows and hope that solves the problems? Or would that cause any problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House