Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
It seems more available in the warmer months. Wal-Mart does sell it by the cleaning supplies, usually on the bottom shelf where you don't notice it as much. Warmer months they put out displays that are more noticeable. I usually buy it in the spring and summer. Lowes carries it all season long in their cleaning product aisle.
Thank you. I kind of quit looking (and I had looked on the bottom shelves) but I think I'll redouble my efforts.

I liked it because we have solar screens on all the windows and this product saved having to take them off - and put them back on again - every time we washed the windows. (And after the haboobs of last summer, that was once every couple of weeks. And that is way too much work when it's 110 degrees outside.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I always just sprayed all of them real good with my pressure washer and that cleaned them very well.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Use a telescoping pool cleaning pole

Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Two or three times a year I rinse them with the pressure washer. A couple of times per year I take my extra long extension pole, screw on my car washing brush and hit them with that, then hose them off with either the jet nozzle of the garden hose, or the pressure washer again.

Living in the PNW, the pressure washer is never put too far away, as algae grows pretty darn quickly on things. It pays to keep up with it, because everything turns to moss around here, eventually. LOL

We also have the old wood-framed windows and ignoring the frequent cleaning can lead to glazing failure in no time at all.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Two or three times a year I rinse them with the pressure washer. A couple of times per year I take my extra long extension pole, screw on my car washing brush and hit them with that, then hose them off with either the jet nozzle of the garden hose, or the pressure washer again.

Living in the PNW, the pressure washer is never put too far away, as algae grows pretty darn quickly on things. It pays to keep up with it, because everything turns to moss around here, eventually. LOL

We also have the old wood-framed windows and ignoring the frequent cleaning can lead to glazing failure in no time at all.
Ha, I hear ya. Although I live in Indiana, we get as much rain as the PNW (which shocked me after moving here). We get the green mossy mold whatever that shows up on one side of the house. We finally invested in a power washer. It needs to be blasted off every couple of months otherwise the house looks terrible. The power washer is bad for window screens though. Found that out the hard way.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
i just cleaned the window using windex that directly attached to the hose-what a difference-not perfect but well worth the $8 for the bottle. I am going to try it on more windows tomorrow-Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Ha, I hear ya. Although I live in Indiana, we get as much rain as the PNW (which shocked me after moving here). We get the green mossy mold whatever that shows up on one side of the house. We finally invested in a power washer. It needs to be blasted off every couple of months otherwise the house looks terrible. The power washer is bad for window screens though. Found that out the hard way.
LOL.....on the window screens. Yes, it's always a really good idea to test your pressure on something indestructible, before hitting the more "fragile" stuff! Start with that fine mist and dial down until you get where it's accomplishing something. I actually do use the PW on the screens, but I'm really careful to use a wide-fan spray to do so. LOL Like you FW, we use the pressure washer on many different things, at least every couple of months. It is such an amazing time saver! I even hang and PW my indoor/outdoor rugs and my pvc/bamboo rollup blinds....huge time saver!

If we didn't PW shaded areas on the house, frequently, they paint wouldn't hold up...and the shaded, old concrete paths.....well, they'd be deadly. LOL

Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
HIRE someone to do it---cheap compared broken bones

Have them clean your gutters and do all the windows to get the most out of the trip. *Make certain they carry their own liability insurance (ask for copy of certificate)!

Old 11-11-2023, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 3,286 times
has anyone used those long telescopic window cleaning poles with brushes on the end? I have a three story town house and trying to find a way to clean them without hanging out of the top floor window...

Old 11-12-2023, 06:30 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
hi-any suggestions or products that would allow me to clean a large decorative window that does not open from the inside. it is above my front door on the 2nd floor of my house. i dont have the nerve to climb a ladder that high. i thought i had heard about a product that came with a pole that i could spray on-i'll go up a few feet on the ladder just not all the way. thanks-
I use a long painters pole with a brush on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House