Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
By the way, we bought the Bosch that Consumer Reports said was the best dishwasher that year. We hate it. Cannot wait to replace it with another brand. Probably Kenmore which is usually either Maytag or Whirlpool. The Bosch is the worst dishwaher we have ever had.
It's more helpful if you say WHY. What is a pain or problem to you might be the ideal feature to another.

My friend used to rave about the food disposer in his high end stainless steel dishwasher and that Bosch doesn't have one. Bosch doesn't have one because they do not need it. There has never been any remaining food debris each time I've checked ours. That's one of the reasons they are so quiet. Trying to get dB ratings from Whirlpool for comparing quietness ratings between brands was almost impossible. Quietness was a major "had to have" feature for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i just ordered this one for my new kitchen...

http://www.amazon.com/Maytag-Jetclea.../dp/B003T60E4E

basically has all the bells and whistles.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I'd call an appliance repairman in your area and ask what brand he DOESN'T repair often.

Also, about 1.5 years ago, certain states banned phosphates in their dishwasher soap. It has caused all kinds of cleaning problems for those states affected by the ban. When choosing your appliance, also inquire as to which soap works best with the model you choose.
close to 30 states banned it, which resulted in basically a national ban. None of the soap-makers have them in it anymore, as it was too expensive to make 2 formulas. Consumer Reports rates Finish Quantam tablets the best...and since I've switch to them, I agree 100%.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I put a Maytag dishwasher in my last house, around 2005 and really loved it. I bought a Maytag fridge in 2006 and love it. Bought a Maytag washer and dryer in 2010. Washer is okay, but not great. Not happy with the dryer at all. Electronic panel went out 3 months ago and the factory has them on back order until the end of February. By the time the part comes in (hopefully) and gets installed, I will be over 4 months without a dryer, and this is not the first time I've had problems with this dryer. Let's just say my Maytag repairman isn't lonely! I'm about to buy a new dishwasher as well, and this has totally turned me off to Maytag.
there's only really 3 manufacturers out there anyways...so the label on front really doesn't matter. Individual models differ in quality. Best thing to do is read reviews online, and check out consumer reports.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
It's more helpful if you say WHY. What is a pain or problem to you might be the ideal feature to another.

My friend used to rave about the food disposer in his high end stainless steel dishwasher and that Bosch doesn't have one. Bosch doesn't have one because they do not need it. There has never been any remaining food debris each time I've checked ours. That's one of the reasons they are so quiet. Trying to get dB ratings from Whirlpool for comparing quietness ratings between brands was almost impossible. Quietness was a major "had to have" feature for me.
european models don't have them. that's why Bosch doesn't have it, not because it doesn't need it. People who complain about the filter in european models usually didn't realize it needs an occasional cleaning. It's not a design issue...it's just a different way to accomplish the same thing.

You're lucky that yours has been clean. But it depends on what you put in it also. Some people think these machines can do what a garbage disposal does...which just isn't really true (unless you get one with a grinder).

Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
european models don't have them. that's why Bosch doesn't have it, not because it doesn't need it. People who complain about the filter in european models usually didn't realize it needs an occasional cleaning. It's not a design issue...it's just a different way to accomplish the same thing.

You're lucky that yours has been clean. But it depends on what you put in it also. Some people think these machines can do what a garbage disposal does...which just isn't really true (unless you get one with a grinder).
Thanks, I'm not that familiar with European models.

"Lucky" not sure what that means. The filter is supposed to be removed and cleaned periodically, right? Just nothing has ever been in there. I will add that I refuse to rinse dishes before putting in the DW, it's a waste of time and water, but I don't put them in with chunks of food remaining either.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Before investing in a new dishwasher and deciding which one to buy you may want to read this news report of the many fires caused by dishwashers from famous brands.

Is your dishwasher a safety risk?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
By the way, we bought the Bosch that Consumer Reports said was the best dishwasher that year. We hate it. Cannot wait to replace it with another brand. Probably Kenmore which is usually either Maytag or Whirlpool. The Bosch is the worst dishwaher we have ever had.
And conversely I had no end of problems with a whirlpool, which was replaced with a Bosch and so far I have been very happy. It is very quiet, does a great job and hasn't had a single issue "knocks on wood".....

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
We got a used Bosch from a ReStore place for $125 nearly 6 years ago. I called the company to get a copy of the manual. From the model & serial numbers they said it was 16-18 years old back then. It finally died last fall & we replaced it with another Bosch...this time a new one from Home Depot. Because of my business (Three Oaks Guest Inn) I had to have a stainless interior, extra large/deep tub, and adjustable racks. It also had to have at least one cycle with a 160* temp rinse to sterilize everything. It's fairly quiet & works great.

The only thing I don't like is that the filter seems to get a little gummed up no matter what brand detergent I use. They recommend 'Finish' in those little packets, but even that doesn't help. I've found if I alternate 'Finish' & 'Cascade' (both in the little packets), as well as still use the 'Jet Dry' or 'Finish' blue liquid anti spotting stuff, that it seems to take care of whatever the scummy residue was. Could be something to do with our water, too....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Thanks, I'm not that familiar with European models.

"Lucky" not sure what that means. The filter is supposed to be removed and cleaned periodically, right? Just nothing has ever been in there. I will add that I refuse to rinse dishes before putting in the DW, it's a waste of time and water, but I don't put them in with chunks of food remaining either.
i scrape off dishes, but don't rinse also. i agree, waste of water. by lucky, i just meant that a lot of people don't realize it needs to be cleaned, and also think they can put anything in there...so they end up with dirty filters. then they have issues. if yours is fairly clean everytime you check, maybe it's not so much luck, but just that you're not jamming junk in there. it's an issue for many people because they don't know how to properly maintain the dishwasher. Bosch is a great brand. My brother-in-law's college buddy works for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House