Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

A Warning About Tankless Water Heaters | Fox News

the title sounds like there has been recall in models or risk of explosion--no so---just Fox News getting your on-line attention

note that the purpose of tankless is energy efficiency
that is thwarted with long runs to the point of water use
so installing a tankless unit in the garage or attic where most orginal conventional NG or electric water heaters are installed in our area is going to work against the efficiency of a tankless

optimum solution would probably be to have several smaller units installed to serve bathrooms and kitchen, utilities so there was NO long run to the faucet
But that is not likely to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
One of my best friends is a plumber. He call tankless hot water heaters his unofficial retirement plan. He makes a numbers of service call per week to fix them.

I think they can work well in new construction.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
We have a tankless in our 2 year old home.

It was placed on an outside wall.

Not sure why they did that. All the houses here have them on outside walls.

Any clues?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
outside wall like outside the house?

NG water heaters usually require a larger gas feed line and vent stack to the roof than what a conventional one does
I would guess w/o knowing the specifics that it is cheaper/easier to relocated the tankless heater to outside wall

Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
outside wall like outside the house?

NG water heaters usually require a larger gas feed line and vent stack to the roof than what a conventional one does
I would guess w/o knowing the specifics that it is cheaper/easier to relocated the tankless heater to outside wall
it's on our south facing wall near the master bath

I've seen them inside garages but never outside.

Has not seemed to be a problem, however.

Good news... hot water quickly comes on in master bath

Bad news... takes about 3 days to get hot water in the kitchen and guest bath.

Gas bills have been good this winter despite having the furnace run A LOT. Last house had 2 gas tank water heaters in the garage. Same issue with the distance from heaters to faucet as we have now, but gas bills were a lot more. Like $180 versus $90 this year. Time will tell if the tankless is reliable.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
I fear that a tankless water heater would allow my son to take a 2 hour shower.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Tankless water heaters will take forever to pay themselves off (much more time than their intended lifespan). Until prices for tankless water heaters go down, just look for a Bradford White or Rheem tank unit with an energy factor of at least 0.62 (if you are using natural gas).

Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We have had them in two houses. The first was an 1893 house in Caifornia. We mopunted it on an outside wall for two reasons. 1. We needed the inside space. 2. It was easier to vent. Our gas main was sufficient size, but I had to run a large line directly from the main. I think it was 3/4 inch, but I do not remember. We had it for 6 -7 years and never had any problems. We had some contact with subsequent owners during the bast 6 years and they have not mentioned any problems. That one was a Takagi. I really like those. Self instal, great output, simple.

Now we live in Michigna in an 1836 house. We have a Rennai tankless in the basement. It required "certified installers" and they messed up the installation (the exhause vent is too close to the ground). The Rennai is complicated. We have had some minor problems. It seems to scale up a lot so I ahve to run descaler through it once a year. the computer thingy went out once and was replaced under warranty.

Overall we live them. UNlimited hot water. No waiting for the tank to warm up. Seven people can shower and three loads each of disheses and laundry and we still have hot water. When I am sick, I can sit in the hot shower for an hour or more if I want to.

It is a luxury item, not an economic one. You will use lightly less gas, but the tankless water heaters cost a LOT more, especially if you get Rennai or the other one that does not allow DIY installation. Now, with Shark bite connectors, it is incredibly easy to DIY (plus you cna do it right and not have to worry about the screw ups by the "certified installers"). Even iwth self installation, you will never recoup the cost difference in reducd gas bills. Besides as one poster mentioned, people may take longer showers - because they can.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
Default Electric Tankless Water Heater Nix

I live in S. Florida and thought to get an electric tankless water heater for the whole house but I quickly learned that the amount of electricity needed and the cost for out of sight. Most whole house units require anywhere from 60 to 120 amps, that is as much as a whole house. No thanks. I will stick with the tried and true.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:40 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
I am intrigued by the hybrid heat-pump electric water heaters... Might consider that in the near future. I have two WH in the house, one is brand new the other is almost 8 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House