U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM

11,755 posts, read 27,321,510 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but you need a reality check. Put in what makes life easier for you and cuts your bills, but remember that a mobile home like you describe will NOT appreciate in value, no matter how much you do to it. Every dime you put into the place that doesn't give you lower utility bills is lost money. Structurally, if it has the thin walls, you can be sure that the floor is not up to stick-built standards either. Beware of turning the place into a money pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM

510 posts, read 510,451 times
I don't care about the resale value. I plan on living here for the next 20-40 yrs... until I die.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 10,130,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I don't care about the resale value. I plan on living here for the next 20-40 yrs... until I die.
...Then let's hope its at least 40 years....

Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I already took a 35% hit on the home I sold back in November. The unemployment rate of that region is killing the housing market.

After that experience, why would I care about resale values?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,769,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
That's what I'm thinking... the more I read this thread the more the thread says "money pit."

Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,213,830 times
I live in a singlewide 1991 mobile home and I love it, but it is a very good model and on a nicely landscaped half-acre next to a creek. There are several things I will tell you about our home, so that perhaps you can have someone do this for yours.

First thing that came to mind is your furnace situation. I know some will scream at this, but we have a heat pump and we love it and our electric bills are very low, and yet we live in the mountains of NC and get snow and sub-zero temps. The ducts run underneath the home in the crawl space. BUT in the crawl space, at some point batt insulation was put up against the underside of the floor, and then they put thick black plastic from stem to stern to seal in the insulation. This is something you should hire someone to do, in my opinion, or get some help from someone who understands electricity in case there's any wires down there.

Next, our windows are ALL double windows, maybe four inches of wall between the two panes. The inside and outside parts are both one window on bottom and one on top, you push the levers to lock at whatever height you want. The screen is part of the outer window part. If your home is not built that way and only has single windows, you are losing an enormous amount of heat/air by not having a storm window installation. Again, this is someone you would hire to do this, maybe do the most-used end of the home first. I have no earthly idea if they'd have to do some construction to get the storms in.

It is typical in mobile homes for some interior walls to be very thin. However, there ARE wood 2x4s in there for structure, because I've hung pictures against them. The one between our second bath and a spare bedroom is so funny to look at from the doorway that goes thru it. Unless sound is a problem, this is standard. However, we did find that the bedroom right next to the living room is practically soundproof, which we checked becuz we put our big TV on one side and a bed on the other side, and were thinking we would have to add some sound tiles or whatever, but turned out it was completely quiet. Sort of relating to that, you should hire an electrician to come and check what you got, check your fuse box, check the wires on the hot water heater, check the outlets, it will give you peace of mind.

That's about all I can come up with at the moment. Oh, one other thing. That sealant foam is fantastic for you, because any space where the pipes disappear into the bowels of the home, or any crack or ugly space anywhere, is such a neglected and yet easy thing for a builder to do right the first time. As relates to that, I hope you can get you a cat, great company and they CAN stay inside the house all the time (in case there's yet another dumb rule by the MHP), AND you will never have another bit of mouse dropping inside your home again, and the last one I had lived 20 years! GG

Last edited by gigimac; 02-05-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 PM

^^^ to gigimac.... I want to thank you for your contribution.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 AM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
gigimac gave you good advice.
You didn't say where you live, but if your winter temps are in the 10F range a lot, then a heat pump may not be suited for you. While a heat pump is energy efficient in milder climates, they just don't work very well in regions where the winter temps get down below freezing for extended periods, or below zero.

When the outside temperatures get below freezing a heat pump system needs heat strips to provide aux. heat. When the temps get below zero, the heat pump system doesn't work at all, and you are using straight electric heat, and your energy costs go way up.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM

744 posts, read 508,486 times
with a mobile home it is important to check the belly skin and insulation under the mobile home. Often it gets ripped open and animals nest there etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM

2,861 posts, read 4,013,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
with a mobile home it is important to check the belly skin and insulation under the mobile home. Often it gets ripped open and animals nest there etc.
This. Also, if your pipes under the home need some heat to keep from freezing, then insulating the skirting might be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House