U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM

495 posts, read 465,948 times
Default 1996 Mobile Home

I just purchased this mobile home Dec 2011. This is my 1st experience with such. I've lived/owned traditional homes with full basements, all my life, so this is very different for me. It's a fixer upper, that's for sure! The previous owners abused and neglected this place. Such a shame really.

It's a 2 bdrm/2 bath and the Mstr Bdrm has the garden tub with 2 sinks/cabinets and a small room with toilet and shower. It's a 16x80. It's not the 6" walls, so I guess that makes it the 4" walls???

I'm located at the IL/IA/MO tri-state area. The previous owners apparently didn't mind paying outrageous heat bills. My jaw dropped the 1st week of living here. The furnace ran non-stop ALL NIGHT LONG!!! After inspecting the windows... the gaps were BAD! I got busy with Foam in a Can and caulk. As each window fully cured, I added layers of shades/blinds/curtains, etc.... and now the furnace only runs a short time every few hours at night time. The furnace hardly runs much during the sunshiny days. I'm glad this 1st winter is history breaking mild, but it still gets near 10F at nights.

Then there was the mouse droppings! OMG!!!! Upon further inspection, I'm finding huge gaps around all the plumbing! More Foam in a Can!!!!

I'm a single middle aged woman, and rather ignorant about construction, plumbing, wiring issues. (and that's with a traditional home)

This place really is a fixer upper, but what do I need to know about mobile homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM

I'm guessing the electric furnace is the original 1996.

Question..... I'm used to furnace duct piping being in a protected (partially heated) basement. That's not the case with a mobile home. I'm thinking all that duct piping in the underbelly is a waste of energy during the winter months. Would it be more efficient to have electric space heaters or baseboard heat? Or does having the duct piping help heat the underbelly so the pipes don't freeze???

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM

11,648 posts, read 8,951,260 times
This really seems like a question you should ask before you buy. Nevertheless, here is a good start:

How To Winterize Your Manufactured Home

BTW, space heaters in a mobile home would be asking for a fire. Please have your furnace checked by a pro.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM

11,338 posts, read 25,087,068 times
The fire risk from space heaters is a concern in mobile homes because of the speed that fires spread in them, not from any risk of a fire starting. There are oil filled convection space heaters that would be quite safe, as long as the wiring is good.

The underbelly is best kept a little warm, but if you have mice, the ducts likely have been chewed and some of the heat is escaping into it, beyond the normal heat radiated out from the ducts as they pass through.

Electric resistance heat is about the most expensive heat. If you plan on being there long, you might consider alternatives.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Due to circumstances, electric heat is my only option. I'm hoping in a few yrs to do some major renovations. Would forced air electric furnace be best? or baseboard electric heat?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM

7,310 posts, read 11,164,350 times
Is natural gas not an option? It's far cheaper than electric....

Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM

The MH Park only runs electric. No gas lines.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 AM

5,063 posts, read 7,298,785 times
Propane in a tank would be a good choice.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM

I don't have the yard space for a propane tank. I highly doubt the owner of the MH park would allow that. I'm not so sure those are allowed within city limits?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Once I find a job at this new location, I'm hoping to start doing a major work over of this place. Do you think a 1996 MH would need all new electrical wiring? I do know somebody got super duper hole happy with the walls! Jeesh.... I'm thinking I'm going to eventually re-do each room (1 room per year) and just have all new walls put up. I'm not even sure what these current walls are? (but they are THIN - and it's not paneling)

Plus I have numerous *one of a kind* heavy items I want hung on the walls, so adding additional studs in strategic places will be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House