Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Those are neat houses.

Where is this? there are no trees. . . ?

Arizona?

Sorry, I was referring to the Storybook houses photos, not the link to San Diego homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Those are neat houses.

Where is this? there are no trees. . . ?

Arizona?

Sorry, I was referring to the Storybook houses photos, not the link to San Diego homes.
The Storybook homes are throughout the San Francisco East Bay and primarily in Oakland California...

I was looking for some better pictures... the ones I have of homes I owned are in an old Windows 98 Computer that is very Internet challenged...

The Storybook and Mediterranean Style... also sometimes called Spanish or California Mission style were predominant from about the 20's to 50's

I really appreciate some of the ornate hardware... even the door hinges as well as the wonderful built-ins and nooks...

One Mediterranean home I owned had the most marvelous breakfast nook with windows on all sides... it was very small which add to it's charm.

Picardy Street is one of the more well known subdivisions...

It has a Castle Home in the middle with a moat street surrounding it and about 40 storybook homes adjacent to the street.

http://www.5717picardy.com/

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Those are exceptionally sweet homes- great architectural details.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It wasn't all that long ago where they were some of the least expensive real estate in the city being mostly older neighborhoods and seen as past their prime... even as late as the mid 1980's...

Unlike many areas of San Francisco... much of Oakland was developed after the Victorian age... the adjacent city of Alameda has many classic Victorians... some really beautuful and exemplary styles due to the large group of skilled ship builders that transitioned from wooden ship building to homes with lots of curved surfaces...

Just one more picture of Story Book in Oakland... it is of the Oakland Fire Station in Oakland's Montclaire nieghborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Old vs. New Construction - Myths & Facts-montclair-now-2.jpg   Old vs. New Construction - Myths & Facts-montclair-firehouse-then-2.jpg  

Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^
Yeah, I've seen that in a book that I have about Storybook architecture- totally cool.

Love the "snow" on the roof!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:21 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I think part of the decline in quality of construction came from the change in construction practices , when they changed from union workers to building by "piecework".
Carpenters, for example, joined the union and worked as "apprentice" while they also took classes/tests. They "learned" their trade. They understood why they were doing something, instead of "well, that's the way my Daddy always did it".
Now days, any yahoo with a hammer and skill saw can call themselves a carpenter and get a job framing a house. If fact, they can stop off at Home Depot on the way to the job site and pick up what they need, having never worked in construction before.

Of course, on the other hand, there have been terrific advances in heating and air conditioning systems, plumbing and electrical materials and systems. There are many parts of a house that are so much better now than they ever were in "the good old days".

Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry. I actually forgot that old stucco is different.

New stucco is not waterproof, maybe older stucco is, I do not know. New stucco relies on the paper backing for waterproofing. It is absoluely awful. In 20 plus lawsuits for construciton defects, every stucco house involved leaked throgh the walls. 100%. usually this was because the window flashing was lapped backwards or missing altogether. Without the paper behind the stucco, water woudl come right through. Stucco also cracks very easily and is difficult to repair. It is not a great option in earthquake country. IMO. It does not flex at all. (Tile roofs also seem pretty stupid in earthquake country, but they are massively popular.

I have only had anything to do with one older stucco home. I did not work on in, but i have lived there for a few days. It was a really really neat home (built around 1928 I think). That stucco was different, not coarse, more dense. Kind of like plaster. The stucco we had on a rental house built in 1969 was horrible. It would not withstand a hammer blow, the dog could (and did) scrape it away.

IF you are getting 3-5 years from a paint job, something is wrong. I woudl be ticked if I got less than 15 years out of a paint job. The lowest quote to prep prime and pain our existing house was $50,000. If I had to do that every three years I would be bankrupt. Our painter told us that with touch up as necessary in specific locations, it can easily last 20-30 years. If you are just having it powerwashed and then sprayed with a couple of coats of paint, I can see the short lifespan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch... you must have some huge mansion. I had to grind (it had mill glaze) all the paint off, prime, prep, and brush paint my 12K ft^2 house and it was only $15K. Took the guys a month to do it. (This was smooth-side-out clear cedar clapboards).

I am really starting to like my brick house more and more every day... yes, occasional re-pointing, but the bricks are 136 years old, and are holding up perfectly. (Not in my case, but there is a place in h*ll for those who paint brick walls, just like those who paint decks, and not stain them ).

Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Ouch... you must have some huge mansion. I had to grind (it had mill glaze) all the paint off, prime, prep, and brush paint my 12K ft^2 house and it was only $15K. Took the guys a month to do it. (This was smooth-side-out clear cedar clapboards).

I am really starting to like my brick house more and more every day... yes, occasional re-pointing, but the bricks are 136 years old, and are holding up perfectly. (Not in my case, but there is a place in h*ll for those who paint brick walls, just like those who paint decks, and not stain them ).

No not huge. Pretty big (3900 s.f.) Clapboard siding and some molding, trim, posts, but not like a stick house. 4 colors. The qoutes shocked me too. We had our old house done for $12,000, but that was sprayed. We need lots of prep. All of th e painters also agreed that it should be brushed on (I already knew that spraying is a bad idea - I never thoguht about whether there were alternatives to hand brushing.). We saved some money by inttroducing our painter to the paint shaver (none of them had heard of it - now our guy has several of them).

Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Not huge. 3900 s.f. (plus the carriage house). Cedar lap siding. Needs a lot of prep. All of the painters agreed that spraying is a bad idea. I was suprised because our former house cost about $12,000 to repaint, but they only scraped failng areas and then powerwashed the rest and sprayed it. They also only did one of the colors and did not repaint the trim. Our current house will need 4 colors, It does nto have a ton of trim, but some.

We managed to reduce the costs by introducing out painter to the paint shaver. He had not heard of them (nor had the other painters). Now he has several. We only had it scraped and primed for now (and we only did the frot fascia of the carriage house).

The Paint Shaver® Pro - YouTube

It is not as great as they make it seem. You still have to sand and touch up, but it is a fabulous time saver over hand scraping or a heat gun.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-06-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
This is what they used:

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11083

Worked so well, I got one for myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House