Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I guess my simple answer is repairing it might be treating the symptom not the disease. I would be scared the problem could pop up again even if those repairing such assure me it will not.

Water and sewage pipes (such as the toilet discharge pipe) are imbedded in the poured slab so even if the slab is raised, the toilet not working issue (which I expect is a discharge pipe issue as in the $hit will not go down....LOL) still has to be addressed. This could require ripping up parts of the slab (from the top as in through the floor of the house) to fix the problem thus the question is how much of the slab must be opened up and where?

I have heard of companies that claim they can burrow under the slab and come up from the bottom to fix pipe issues but I am not sure of that technology.

Even if fixed, imagine the issues if you go to sell and are questionned about any slab/foundation issues.

Thus may advice to run away.
I realize I did make an error in the above. The piping is laid out in a "sand" bed then the concrete slab is poured over so technically the pipes are not imbedded in the poured concrete slap but under, not in the slab.

While a clarification of my error, I still say run away from this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
Running, running, running!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
If I was looking at that problem the OP described I would bypass a typical home inspection and call an Engineer. If the lights, faucets, and drains work properly and the toilet flushes there probably is not too many problems with lights and water. Check the fuse panel for screw fuses and aluminum wiring. If you see breakers with yellow and/or while wiring it is up to date. How do the shingles look? If they are curled and flaking, say hello to your new roofer; the roof is not vented properly. If you see water stains around windows you know they will need some type of R/R. or repair. Ceiling leaks can be crossed off to the roof that needs to be replaced. If the house smells moldy -- RUN!

If the slab is tilting but the house is not it is good sign. There is only one other thing that would concern me. Is there an actual floor structure built over the concrete, or is the slab the floor structure? If it is the later, you jack up the house on four corners. Air is a lousy center support. To install a floor structure before you repair the slab or move the house can be a nightmare of problems and expense.

It is also possible but probably expensive to dig under the foundation and shore up the slab. The potential problem with be disconnecting plumbing. There is a 1000 ways for the best laid plans for this old house to go wrong -- and this is the reason you hire the engineer. Mine was a bargain at $200 per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
My question is, if they let the slab go to the point where the house tilts and the toilet doesn't work, how many less obvious things did they let go? Sure, you can get an inspection but that can be hit or miss and if you aren't handy yourself, you're really going to be sorry you got yourself into this IMO.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
Thanks for the feedback. The house was sold. I didn't buy it. Not long afterit was sold, it appeared on the market slightly remodelked as a rental and now has a tenant. I guess it wasn't mean for me. Still, your reply gave me insights into the possibilities of buying a fixer upper.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
One of the problen is just how much it will have to be riased to level the slab. If too much that can cause problems with the plumbing 'especially sewer lines that run under the ground. It can break joins and then you have real expense like tunnelings under the slab.Stbalising a slab fondation is much different matter.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Homes like that are money pits, with a disappearing hole.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Thank you folks. I think I will wait for something better to come along. I am just being impatient.
Yes don't let your emotions take over. I almost did this once with an older home that I adored. It had a mess of issues and my husband and I are very handy but the more we investigated we started thinking about all the stuff we couldnt see. You will find the right house for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House