Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,920,510 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a house that has 2 bedrooms with electric baseboard heat. I HATE IT -- not so much because it's electric, as each room has its own thermostat and most of the time these particular rooms wouldn't be used, but because it takes up one entire wall and, because it's electric and not hot-water baseboard, you shouldn't put anything near it. Makes furniture placement very difficult.

I am considering switching from the electric baseboards in these two bedrooms to radiant ceiling heat within a year or two. Two other bedrooms already have it, and they can be kept comfortable without breaking the bank in terms of electric charges (especially because I will likely be adding solar panels to the house). Has anyone switched from electric baseboard to electric radiant in either the ceiling or floor? One of the bedrooms with the electric baseboard has hardwood flooring; the other has carpet so I know radiant floor heat won't work for that. I DO understand that I would need to re-do the floor or ceiling and am OK with that.

Any idea of the scope of this kind of work and how much it might cost? I'm in New Hampshire. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
This would not be a very practical project, for the money spent you would not get any heating economy benefit, the only benefit would be you could arrange funiture as you want - in NH your electric rates are pretty high. Ceiling heat is a bit less efficient, since there will be some convective air movement taking heat up into the attic. If you want to go with cables at least put them in the floor.

Maybe you should just look at a different house.

In any case you could probably get a couple contractors in the house to make up bids on what it would cost, and maybe recommend something like a heat pump that would actually save you some money.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,920,510 times
M3 Mitch, thanks for replying. I do understand what you are saying, but the 2 bedrooms with ceiling radiant heat are actually quite comfortable, and I was able to get the electric charges during winter '10-11 when the house was fully occupied (much of this winter the house hasn't been occupied, but it has been kept heated of course) and they weren't outrageous ($190/month max). I think the key is that each room isn't used for very many hours per day, so the thermostat in each room can be turned way down for most hours. I normally turn the heat down to ~58 at night, which is the main times the bedrooms might be occupied. The house's main source of heat is oil via forced hot air (which I like -- I know many people don't, but I absolutely HATE baseboard heat). There are some vents in the halls, which allow some of the forced-air heat to enter some of the bedrooms (including the one with electric baseboard & carpet).

I could remove the carpeting in the bedroom that has it, if radiant floor makes more sense.

I thought given that I would likely be adding solar panels, some of the electric cost of the rooms not used too many hours/day might become reasonable ... but maybe I am dreaming. :-( I know solar panels are expensive (although made much less so with federal & state incentives), but my next house (which may be this one) is the house I want to live in for the next 20-30 years.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:55 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Look at these as an alternative.
https://runtalnorthamerica.com/resid...c-wall-panels/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House