U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,137 times

Advertisements

We have the same ceramic tile in the living room, kitchen and family room which all run together in a straight line.
We want to remodel the kitchen which is located between the 2 rooms. The remodel includes shifting everything around. Meaning moving the sink to the opposite side and the stove to another wall as well. By doing this, there will be patches left without tile. I've tried to locate the same tile in various stores and looks like they no longer carry it. We cannot afford to spend the money on the living room and family room floors right now and I think having a totally different tile in the kitchen will look bad.
What do you think? Do you think it would look ok? Do you know of any inexpensive solution? The current tile is a light blue marbeled effect over white background.
Any ideas/recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Margie
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM

40 posts, read 89,669 times
How's about looking into some engineered wood flooring or cork... that may look nice in the kitchen area and still match up to the tile in the other rooms

Todd Stull
Enola, Pa

Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 8,081,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie0106 View Post
We have the same ceramic tile in the living room, kitchen and family room which all run together in a straight line.
We want to remodel the kitchen which is located between the 2 rooms. The remodel includes shifting everything around. Meaning moving the sink to the opposite side and the stove to another wall as well. By doing this, there will be patches left without tile. I've tried to locate the same tile in various stores and looks like they no longer carry it. We cannot afford to spend the money on the living room and family room floors right now and I think having a totally different tile in the kitchen will look bad.
What do you think? Do you think it would look ok? Do you know of any inexpensive solution? The current tile is a light blue marbeled effect over white background.

Thanks,

Margie
Provide a picture so I can see the flow.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM

1,832 posts, read 3,669,121 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Margie
Im seeing a "tile rug" mixing old and new tiles to tie the three areas together.
Carefully remove the old tiles to accomodate the new tiles and save them to patch the bare spots.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM

3,715 posts, read 10,752,262 times
why not check out good laminate since you don't want real wood in a kitchen because of water.
I do think it could be installed over your existing tile. Maybe an all white tile also would blend in or that pretty brick color tile they show.
they even have wood with a brick patten which is pretty.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,095,394 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Margie

I prefer tile in the kitchen so maybe you could "lock" the two tiled areas together with a solid color tile that "matchs/accents" with the two tiled areas. Such as solid white or solid blue.

Another way might be new blue accent around the edges of the kitchen if the center of the new kitchen can still be the older tile.

Otherwise I say laminate flooring and one that pieces of can easily be replaced if damaged.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 7,505,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
How's about looking into some engineered wood flooring or cork... that may look nice in the kitchen area and still match up to the tile in the other rooms

Todd Stull
Enola, Pa
That's what I would do. Mix up the flooring a bit and break up the scheme. Although good laminate is not necessarily cheap.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM

21,596 posts, read 36,543,631 times
It is not my favorite solution but it beats the others: carefully cut out the tiles that will be under the cabinets/appliances in their new positions. Reuse it where it will be seen. Patch in flooring of the same thickness in the spots where the old tile was "grafted out"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House