U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,226,091 times

Advertisements

I have dogs who go crazy running from one end of the house to the other when they think they hear something outside. Lots of jet-start take offs and sliding halts. One dog is 80 lbs. I have a good quality Pergo floor that looks like individual planks of wood. It is very attractive and it seems to be scratch resistant. This could work for you too. Also, if the dog is ever ill and you need to do a special clean-up, the Pergo laminate is extremely easy to clean. True hardwood floors, while authentic, scratch easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,706,743 times
Default Really, wear is non-issue...

I have had hardwood floors in my at least four diferent homes with as many as four large (labrador or collie) dogs in each one. The floors hold up fine. I do nothing special with the dogs nails, the same stuff that one's own finger nails are made if does grow thicker,but trims easily and so long as the animals are not carrying excessive amounts of beach sand into the home normal finishes hold up for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I have dogs who go crazy running from one end of the house to the other when they think they hear something outside. Lots of jet-start take offs and sliding halts. One dog is 80 lbs. I have a good quality Pergo floor that looks like individual planks of wood. It is very attractive and it seems to be scratch resistant. This could work for you too. Also, if the dog is ever ill and you need to do a special clean-up, the Pergo laminate is extremely easy to clean. True hardwood floors, while authentic, scratch easily.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,133,772 times
With cats (no dogs) shedding and puking are the issues. I say hardwood or tile. Never, never, never (did I say never?) carpeting.

Hardwoods (including many engineered ones) can be refinished several times if damaged so more long term flooring.

"Plastic" hardwood imitations (Pergo, laminates, etc.) cannot be refinished if damaged so more short term then long term flooring.

With "big" dogs, I say hardwood long or short term..

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,991,079 times
Tile, Stone or Concrete

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM

53 posts, read 32,001 times
Default Save a Relationship

With two dogs and their many doggy guests, porcelain tile is the way to go. A relationship was saved when we discovered porcelain tile that looks like hardwood. Even better is that decorators rave about it. Here are some pictures:

Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,727,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell55 View Post
A relationship was saved when we discovered porcelain tile that looks like hardwood. Even better is that decorators rave about it. Here are pictures:
That's amazing! I had no idea such a thing existed!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:26 PM
dgz

798 posts, read 1,829,550 times
Tile is great. If there's any vomit or accidents, it's very easy to clean up using Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle or some similar product. I have tile all through my house, except for the bedrooms, where I've put down engineered hardwoods. Engineered hardwoods tend to be more scratch-resistant than solid hardwood flooring (and they're easier to maintain). You don't want 'accidents' though on wood flooring.

Also, I've put an area rug down in the foyer and in the great room. These are great because they add warmth, and yet, at the same time, they're easier to clean or replace. I find that taking a 'slicker brush' which pulls up loose hairs (and you can get it at any major pet store) is great for brushing an area rug of pet hairs prior to vacuuming.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 PM
dgz

798 posts, read 1,829,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell55 View Post
With two dogs and their many doggy guests, porcelain tile is the way to go. A relationship was saved when we discovered porcelain tile that looks like hardwood. Even better is that decorators rave about it. Here are some pictures:

I didn't know about porcelain tile. That's great!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:36 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,727,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I didn't know about porcelain tile. That's great!
Porcelain tile is much more durable than ceramic tile, just like with dishes.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,359,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Porcelain tile is much more durable than ceramic tile, just like with dishes.

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen, and it has cracked in several places where I have dropped things.

It was put in by the previous owner, so I have no idea what brand it is, maybe it is just poor quality.

I will check out porcelain tile, I had never heard of it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House