Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM

519 posts, read 3,908,133 times

Advertisements

Having problems with a clogged toilet that I can't seem to find the fix.
I've tried the plunger... yes, the toilet plunger and that didn't do the trick.
From there I used a drain auger/snake.
I was going to use a toilet auger/snake only I didn't know how long I needed so I went with the drain snake.
Again nothing, the snake came up clean.

Toilet is still clogged, slow draining.
I can flush the toilet and nothing happens. I walk away and come back and little by little, the water drained.

So do I need to check the ejector pump? If so, what am I am looking for?
I'm guessing that will be messy and smelly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,199,402 times
Are the other drains in the house working OK? How about in the same bathroom?
If everything else is draining OK, then its probably not the ejector pump. If it is the ejector pump, call a plumber.

You might try filling a 5 gallon bucket with water and pour in down the toilet. This method will more often than not clear a blockage. The idea is to pour it at a rate where the head pressure of the water will force the water down the drain taking the blockage with it. Works better than a plunger sometimes. You have to pour it with enough force it looks like it might overflow (but doesn't). You also have to react quickly if it does start to overflow (stop pouring). I would say that 95% of the time, the bucket will clear a blockage.

Are you sure someone, usually a child has not flushed a toy down the toilet? A toy will sometimes get stuck inside the toilet drain and partially block the big stuff/paper from flowing thru.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM

My daughter had used the toilet prior to all this and she did use to much toilet paper. After spending more time with both plunger and snake, the toilet *seems* to be working again.

I thought the snake would have come back dirty or with paper attached, but it came back clean.

Would the hp of the ejector pump have anything to do with it?
I have a Liberty pump that is 1/2 hp. Should I go to a more stronger hp?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,623,748 times
One of the worst toilet pluggers are female sanitary products. Them tampons plug eveything.....LOL

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM

23,534 posts, read 69,968,609 times
Your description points to a TP clog, possibly around the inlet of your pump. I wouldn't be overly concerned. There are a few things you can do to prevent a recurrence -

1. Inform daughter to use less TP. If she must use more than an amount you can wad into a ball in your hand, have her flush that amount, use more paper and flush a second time. Women are trained from birth to use more toilet paper. You can't buck the river. What you CAN do is inform her that she will be cleaning out her own clogs from now on, with your supervision, so that she knows how to do it when she is on her own. She'll throw a tantrum and she and your wife will report you to child services, but you won't have constant clogs.

2. Switch toilet paper brands to one that dissolves more quickly. Angel-soft is pretty good. Test by putting a couple sheets of it in a glass of water, doing the same with other brands in other glasses, then swirling them a bit and comparing how long before each starts to come apart.

3. Bidet. BIG fuss about how much it costs and only the rich have them...

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM

44,976 posts, read 59,955,217 times
Matchbox cars will clog a toilet faster than almost anything.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,600,548 times
What brand of toilet is it ?? I have some pics I took of a Kohler that was plugged and yada yada yada... I know the pics are on an old computer - but if you look at the path (outside of bowl) and try to imagine going up Pikes Peak in a large RV or bus I do not know if you would make it... and that ain't TP blocking the road....I used a snake and it came back clear of stuff. Finally I gave up and pulled the toilet - put in a new one...It too is a Kohler - If you poop like a rabbit it is ok - but my best suggestion would be more fiber and lots of water

Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,623,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Matchbox cars will clog a toilet faster than almost anything.
I love it....

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Having problems with a clogged toilet that I can't seem to find the fix.
I've tried the plunger... yes, the toilet plunger and that didn't do the trick.
From there I used a drain auger/snake.
I was going to use a toilet auger/snake only I didn't know how long I needed so I went with the drain snake.
Again nothing, the snake came up clean.

Toilet is still clogged, slow draining.
I can flush the toilet and nothing happens. I walk away and come back and little by little, the water drained.

So do I need to check the ejector pump? If so, what am I am looking for?
I'm guessing that will be messy and smelly.

If you are having slow drainage from the toilet you still have a clog and what you have done already has only gotten rid of a small part of the clog. Get the longet drain snake you can rent and go from there.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM

LOL at some of these responses.
Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Toilet is working fine now. Whatever it is, it's gone now.
So for peace of mind... the hp of the ejector pump doesn't matter?

I'd think I'm going to build me an outhouse for everyone to go potty in.
This way I won't have to worry about clogging a toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House