Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

OUr pool has a chlorine generation system.

The cell unit needs to be replaced. It connects into the PVC water line with knurled threaded collar connecitons that are about 4" to 4.5" in diameter. Baciscally these collars screw on to threads on the other pipe. I assume that there must be a rubber gasket inside there.

I cannot get the collar to turn. I tried a strap wrench and the largest channel lock pliers that I have. I simply cannot get enough leverage with anything that I have to break it free. It must be siezed on a rubber gasket is my guess. If you turn too hard, the whole pipe run starts to twist and I am concerbed about breaking glued conenctions elsewhere on the pipe run.

when the people came to close out pool and blow ut the lines for winter. we saked them t remove it. They were unable to to so. I do nto want to have to cut the pipe becuase we will have to replace the whole run. It is all elbows and there is no place to cut it without cutting an elbow. Plus this is special pipe for this filter, it is not just something you can pick up at Home Depot. the company that installed it is out of business. Besides pool stores sell the chlorine cells for $800 and I can buy one for $350 online (same thing, same brand).

I think that I will have to have someone hold one side of the pipe in place with channel locks or a pipe wrench while I try to get the knurled collar to turn.

Anyone have any clever suggestions fo getting the collar to turn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Find a really strong guy with really big hands????

Not likely, but maybe worth a shot....are you sure its not LEFT HAND THREADS??
Strap wrench is what I was going to suggest. How about pouring hot water over the fittings and see if that might loosen it up?
I had a PVC fitting on a pond filter that gave me fits. I finally got someone to help me and we finally got it loose. It may be when you have two people you can get enough leverage.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Remember how you tap the edge of a jar lid to break the seal to the jar? Try putting your strap wrench on, applying medium torque, then lightly tapping around the circumference with a wooden mallet or stick. Start off easy and increase the torque and strength of taps.

Another possibility is running cold water through the pipe and wrapping the collar in a wet washcloth you have just removed from the microwave. You'll expand the collar and shrink the pipe.

Push comes to shove, saw apart the old cell and use a sabersaw plunged into the pipe attachment.

There is a possibility it was actually glued in place. If so, your chances of success diminish.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
To reiterate what barking spider is suggesting PLEASE be sure that you are putting torque on the correct part of the PVC union and not inadvertly tightening it. So long as there was no pvc cement accidently dripped onto the to threads and they are not crossed up a union will generally be loose enough to undo by hand with MAYBE an 1/8 turn from a strap wrench.

The "yeild limit" on glued fittings is often lower than other kinds of pipe so it make sense to get a few burly friends to help stabilize the rest of the connections and then get a REALLLLY LOOOONG extension to undo the union...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Cut it an put in a new extension piece with a union at each end.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 130,550 times
I had the same problem with a stuck PVC collar above an anti-drainback valve on my sump pump system in the basement. A phone call to my local PVC dealer brought the solution: WD-40. I sprayed some above and below the stuck collar (directing the spray upward when spraying from below) several times, aiding the penetration with some whacks from a hammer's wooden handle. Took a while, with repeated WD-40 applications, but eventually worked beautifully.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I had forgotten about this thread. I finally got it off. I used some PB blaster to lubricate it and a giant pair of channel locks. One I got it to turn a tiny bit I was able to turn it off with my bade hands. Now I loosen it up and re-tighten it every six months or so so I do not get stuck again. We were very happy to have the chlorine generating system back up and running at the end of last season.

BTW - curring it was not practical. There were elbows too close to both ends. IN order to get to a place where I could put in a coupling, I would have had to cut back quite a way and replace the whole thing (about 6 elbows).

Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill7480 View Post
A phone call to my local PVC dealer brought the solution: WD-40. I sprayed some above and below the stuck collar (directing the spray upward when spraying from below) several times, aiding the penetration with some whacks from a hammer's wooden handle. Took a while, with repeated WD-40 applications, but eventually worked beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I had forgotten about this thread. I finally got it off. I used some PB blaster to lubricate it and a giant pair of channel locks.

Just for future reference (for anyone interested) - PB blaster or any "penetrating oil" is far better than WD-40. WD-40 is fantastic for getting rid of squeaks, and general lubrication. Of course, it can break something that's stuck free. But penetrating oil does a much better job working its way into crevices and breaking rust/corrosion/etc free.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 104,496 times
Assuming the valve needs to be replaced, here's the recipe that worked for me:

1x Screwdriver (L-XL)
1x Blow Torch

Step 1) Heat approximately 1.5" of the screwdriver's tip until red hot.

Step 2) Press screwdriver into one side and out the other side of the valve. Try to get as close to the center of the valve as possible.

Step 3) Pour water on the screwdriver and valve to cool and hardene any soft plastic.

Step 3) Apply light - medium force to the end of the screwdriver and keep a close eye on the other pipes connected to the system to ensure they'll sustain the force exerted in the next step.

Step 4) Maintain a medium force on the end of the screwdriver while applying pulses of strong force until the threads release their death grip.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 11-15-2023, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Thanks for the advice. I used penetrating oil and tapping with wooden spoon. Flabbergasted when without the effort I'd exerted earlier I was able to loosen the large PVC nut attaching swimming pool multi port to filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House