U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM

311 posts, read 1,864,279 times
Default Advice / Average cost for a new deck?

Looking to replace my current deck and before I call around, I'm wondering what the average cost to rebuild a deck is.

What I want is for my current deck to be torn down and have a new deck put up. My deck is about 310 sqft (31x10) and we're either going to keep the same size or maybe go 434 sqft (31x14).

I had one contractor come out last summer and I was quoted around $2500.
Now they were a small mom & pop outfit. From my understanding, that quote is very low and I should be expecting to pay maybe 2-3 times that.

When I shop around, what are some of the questions I should be asking or what are some the "key words" I should listen for that will clue me in that these guys have an idea of what they are doing?

I have asked friends and family but no one has had any deck work done or know of anyone that had deck work done.

Should I just call using the yellow pages or should I also look at ads on Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM

6,577 posts, read 20,171,909 times
For chi-town I would figure $25-$30 sq/ft. Pressure treated on the low end; nothing fancy, standard handrail. Certain composites or exotics on the high end with wrought iron type balusters. Stairs are usually priced per step.
The main thing to be aware of- IRC (International Residential Code) has a whole section on decks now. Check and see if it is being accepted by your convening aurthority (building dept); and, or any amendments. There's a lot of info on the net about the new codes- especially about lateral load devices and handrail support.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that I was looking for standard lumber, nothing fancy.
No composite or exotic wood.

Thanks for the help.
Going to start making calls this week.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM

5,222 posts, read 7,556,644 times
We priced decks last summer and wow it was a shock. I didn't expect the cost to be so high. We were going to build it ourselves and just the cost of materials was almost triple than we figured it would be. Our plans were for a small deck space, nothing large or fancy. We do not have a deck currently, just a few steps off our french door to a very small concrete patio, that is worthless. I would say the estimate of 2500 is a pretty good deal for the size you are talking about. Our neighbors tore out their deck last year. They replaced it with a concrete patio, they said it was cheaper so we are going to look into that ourselves. Just kind of shocking to us because it always seemed concrete was more expensive than wood. Maybe that isn't the case anymore.

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-12-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We priced decks last summer and wow it was a shock. I didn't expect the cost to be so high.
<snip>
I would say the estimate of 2500 is a pretty good deal for the size you are talking about.
I've never had to price out deck costs so this is all new to me.
At the time I thought $2500 was to much... then again what do I know.

Then I find out that $2500 is way to low and I should be expecting to pay around $9-10K. Again, what do I know.

I guess I won't know a cost till I shop around, LOL.

Our deck is for a walkout basement, wondering if that is more expensive???

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM

6,577 posts, read 20,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Our deck is for a walkout basement, wondering if that is more expensive???

I should have added to my initial post-
Sq/ft price is based on a hgt of 9' or less- anything over that is usually an add-on fee.
And of course there is the tear-down and removal of the old deck- No telling where that cost could be. A lot of it will have to do with where the landfill is that will accept the old material.

And, as a word of caution don't hire anybody off of Craigslist. Unless they have Worker's Comp and General Liability Ins. (verify it's current with the listed agent). There's a lot of people that "doctor" the forms to make it look like they are current on their coverages.

See if there is a member in your area-
NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association - Decks, Deck Builders, Decking Material Manufacturers, Deck Safety, nadra.org

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM

4,281 posts, read 4,710,250 times
Jedi

Is this ground level walkout or did I misunderstand that? What size are you considering? Would a poured concrete or paver patio do instead?

Thanks

Last edited by accufitgolf; 03-12-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Sorry for any confusion. This is above ground... is that how you describe it?
So deck above ground and patio would be the ground level.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,710,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Sorry for any confusion. This is above ground... is that how you describe it?
So deck above ground and patio would be the ground level.

My confusion came when you said from walkout basement. I assume walkout meant at ground level. How how off the ground would the deck be?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM

What... 9-10ft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House