Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,046,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Apparently I did absolutely everything wrong except where I sleep. I love my house and it feels great.
More than likely, Feng Shui's "energies" are more of a spiritual manifestation than a physical one. While some would like to re-label this as a psychological issue, I wonder if there is any real difference between how your mind perceives the world and what spiritual basis and belief system you use to evaluate the world.

From a technical point of view, Feng Shui probably has no effect on you because you do not believe in it's principles. Therefore, doing everything "wrong" will have no effect on you besides, perhaps, unsettling any traditional Eastern friends you invite over. However, for a true practicioner of Feng Shui, they must properly align the energies of their dwelling to feel at ease. Much like a Christian must accept Jesus, or an Athiest feels compelled to disprove the existence of a god, to feel at peace.

This is why I suggest that most westerners who grew up in a western culture will have a very difficult time practicing Feng Shui. If you are brought up in a Christian household, you are taught to accept Jesus in your heart and speak to God. This is an integral part of your childhood and becomes ingrained into your subconscious. A Buddhist who likes the general ideas of Christianity might hang crosses on their wall and recite the Lord's Prayer thinking that these are the things you must do to get into Christian heaven, but this does not make them a Christian--just a superstitious Buddhist. Likewise, an Agnostic or Christian might arrange their house accordingto the principles of Feng Shui, but this does not make them a practicioner--just a superstitious person.

However, just like hanging crosses on your wall or saying the Lord's Prayer, attempting to practice Feng Shui doesn't hurt anyone. So, please, feel free to act as you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,423,688 times
I try to incorporate Black Hat Sect Feng Shui into my life. I am part of the "western group" so try to orient my furniture and directions I face in each room in an auspicious direction for the "western group". I have 8 books on Feng Shui and find it fascinating.

It's very important to pay attention to the overall concepts because evidence shows that individuals, families and businesses including corporations have been strongly affected by both good Feng Shui and bad Feng Shui. For example, Banks that were losing money have respositioned stairways or escalators away from doors and after doing so became much more profitable.

It is all about allowing the free flow of energy and paying attention to what makes you feel safest and the most comfortable and creating the best environment you can for yourself because if for years and years you live or work in an area that you are not comfortable in, your life WILL be effected in some way shape or form. So why not make sure it is as good as it can be?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
So much nastiness, so little time......

Anyway, I also have been interested in the concept of Feng Shui, and use some of them, no mirrors facing the bed, bed facing East or North, water fountains, crystals. I even have a Navajo dream catcher! And lots of plants.

A friend of mine uses these principles very seriously. When walking into her house, is like going into another world, and is very peaceful, serene. So have learned some things from her. She keeps her house very cool, uses candles, has her crystals hanging, soft music in background, etc. I noticed she also has all her sink/bath stoppers closed, and asked her about it. This may be a bit much, but she sad "bad vapors/spirits" can come up through the drains. Well, that may be a little too much information, but, is her belief.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,884,387 times
Good ideas, Emily & Lily.

My understanding of FS is directing physical energy to utilize it to its fullest potential. It doesn't necessary need to be a black/white phenomina, such as one's life is a complete wreck if a certain principal isn't utilized or "perfect" & trouble-free if they are.

A gentle breeze coming through a window can be quite lovely & comfortable on a warm springtime evening, but if a desk full of loose papers is in front of the window & it's Jan & freezing, the breeze doesn't serve one's best interests. Nothing wrong with the wind, but re-directing it passed the window is good common sense/FS. Sharp-cornered furniture in the middle of a room where everyone's banging into it isn't good common sense/FS & many avoid this, so we do use the energy flow concepts in everyday life.

Suggesting covering books/TV/computer in a bedroom (or leaving them out) so one's mind isn't active before/while sleeping is a good idea/FS for someone like me who can't turn my mind off at the end of a day. Covering drains or closing a toilet seat is practical (my cat once jumped up & fell in) & open drains symbolizes money going down the drain (bad vapors/spirits). Sometimes folks deciphering of it is too literal. It doesn't mean cover drains, sit at home, not work & expect money to flow in.

It's the Chinese art of placement. "Everything has its place." I utilize it to see/feel important changes in my life & I have. Perhaps I felt it more significantly, as in certain areas of my life, at certain times, I did need an overhaul. Activating a relationship or money corner does get one to focus more on making changes in these areas, so in that way, if shifting belongings sets that into play by bringing it to the forefront in my consciousness/mind, then it is working for me & that, from what I understand, is its purpose.

Lastly, a few years ago, the Boston Copley Sq. area was chosen by experts as the most perfect utilization of FS of buildings throughout the world. I don't recall the name of the magazine where I read the article, but it did mention how western corporations regularly utilize FS principals in their office buildings, particularly when building them. Donald Trump designs his new properties using these concepts, for example.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,697,321 times
So does part of this "feel good" in touch with the world belief system include anonymously negative RED marking anyone that disagrees or isn't a "follower" ?? Seems like that's whats happened....

Why am I not surprised.....how pathetic and cowardly.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

558 posts, read 2,245,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Good ideas, Emily & Lily.

My understanding of FS is directing physical energy to utilize it to its fullest potential. It doesn't necessary need to be a black/white phenomina, such as one's life is a complete wreck if a certain principal isn't utilized or "perfect" & trouble-free if they are.

A gentle breeze coming through a window can be quite lovely & comfortable on a warm springtime evening, but if a desk full of loose papers is in front of the window & it's Jan & freezing, the breeze doesn't serve one's best interests. Nothing wrong with the wind, but re-directing it passed the window is good common sense/FS. Sharp-cornered furniture in the middle of a room where everyone's banging into it isn't good common sense/FS & many avoid this, so we do use the energy flow concepts in everyday life.

Suggesting covering books/TV/computer in a bedroom (or leaving them out) so one's mind isn't active before/while sleeping is a good idea/FS for someone like me who can't turn my mind off at the end of a day. Covering drains or closing a toilet seat is practical (my cat once jumped up & fell in) & open drains symbolizes money going down the drain (bad vapors/spirits). Sometimes folks deciphering of it is too literal. It doesn't mean cover drains, sit at home, not work & expect money to flow in.

It's the Chinese art of placement. "Everything has its place." I utilize it to see/feel important changes in my life & I have. Perhaps I felt it more significantly, as in certain areas of my life, at certain times, I did need an overhaul. Activating a relationship or money corner does get one to focus more on making changes in these areas, so in that way, if shifting belongings sets that into play by bringing it to the forefront in my consciousness/mind, then it is working for me & that, from what I understand, is its purpose.

Lastly, a few years ago, the Boston Copley Sq. area was chosen by experts as the most perfect utilization of FS of buildings throughout the world. I don't recall the name of the magazine where I read the article, but it did mention how western corporations regularly utilize FS principals in their office buildings, particularly when building them. Donald Trump designs his new properties using these concepts, for example.
This is really good info. that explains a lot of the questions I've had about F.S. for a long time. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,046,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
So does part of this "feel good" in touch with the world belief system include anonymously negative RED marking anyone that disagrees or isn't a "follower" ?? Seems like that's whats happened....

Why am I not surprised.....how pathetic and cowardly.
No. Generally, Eastern spiritualism entails much less negativity than other belief systems.

I do not practice Feng Shui, nor do I believe it has any effect on me. However, others in my household do, and there is no conflict between us.

You can keep trolling with nasty words if you wish, but I doubt anyone will indulge your desire for conflict.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,674,579 times
I've read a few Feng Shui books for fun and have "followed some of the rules". For me alot of the rules just make sense...it's not something that is "magical" or anything. For instance ridding the home of all clutter just makes a home feel better period. I do not feel bad spirits are going to come up through the drain if I don't keep them closed though....lol... I keep them closed because it looks nicer ....and I don't run the risk of losing any valuables down them.

For me it's impossible to follow everything the book says...but there is something to be said for your "intent" as well.

I've been in plenty of homes that are very unorganized.....these people seem to be late for everything...irritable......in debt etc. I often wonder if their lives would be different if they "cleaned up".

Old 10-16-2007, 05:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,423,688 times
Here are some quick Feng Shui tips tha everyone can follow no matter whether you are in the Eastern or Western Group.

You always want to position yourself in a room so you have a view of the entrance to the room.

You also never, especially in an office, want to have your desk placed under a window with your back facing the window. You might think, especially if with this position, you can see the door to the room that this would be good placement but in an officie setting, all the good ideas that you have can be sucked out the window without your even noticing (is what the Feng Shui Masters would say). A better position would be to have a wall behind you and your desk perpendicular to both the door and the window so you can see both.

You also never want to position your bed so that the foot of the bed faces the door (as this is the postion you are in when they take you out after you've died). But is ti good to position your bed so you have a decent view of the door.

You also don't want to have mirrors facing your bed because while you are sleeping you having reflections of yourself can cause sleep disturbance and bad Feng Shui.

Also bathrooms that lead directly into bedrooms are bad Feng Shui for obvious sanitary reasons. I doubt any Asian Architects that know Feng Shui would design houses with bathrooms directly leading into a bedroom. It is much better to have a bathroom off oF A HALLWAY.

Also plants are auspicious but not in bedrooms. The most auspicious are wide leafed plants and it is best to have an odd number of plants in the room. Plants such as roses or cactus are inauspicious due to the brambles.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
I don't see how this can hurt. I've been trying to feng shui certain areas and by clearing the clutter, you make your home more livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House