U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM

316 posts, read 1,982,663 times

Advertisements

Anyone here know anything about Lowes brand ChoiceDek, composite decking?

I've tried to search and have found very little. The few links I've found are pretty much other people asking about ChoiceDek.

Help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
A history of the company that makes it-
Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies Inc. (Nasdaq:AERT)

It's definitely not my first choice. There has also been a lot of legal ramblings with AERT, Inc. Some of it petty in my eye, some could have long term consequences.

For alternative decking choices, the Top of my list-
Azek (not a composite)

I wouldn't necessarily call them the best, but probably top 10 composites-
Evergrain
Timbertech
The bottom of this list would be Trex ( the original type- there are other lines)

Even though there is annual maintenance I still like the REAL THING.
And for those that are environmentally conscious, real wood has a very small carbon footprint compared to composites and/or PVC.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM

316 posts, read 1,982,663 times
I have one company offering Trex Transcend ... their top of the line composite?
Another company works with ChoiceDek.
The price difference between the two proposals is about $600 or so.

I would have preferred all wood as well but the wife pulled out the rank card and vetoed that idea real quick....

Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
I have one company offering Trex Transcend ... their top of the line composite?
Another company works with ChoiceDek.
The price difference between the two proposals is about $600 or so.

I would have preferred all wood as well but the wife pulled out the rank card and vetoed that idea real quick....

Here's my take-
stay away from the guy that works with Choicedek. Since Lowe's is the retail supplier (meaning you're paying retail prices). I call BS on that real quick. Any knowledgeable and business savvy deck builder will have established accounts with material suppliers other than big box retailers.
This affords him reasonable prices that he can pass-on to his client- it also gives him material choices that you would not other wise have at Orange&Blue.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Even the orginal Trax when well done has shown that it satnds up well. About the only choice in many marine envoronments where they have worked so well.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM

9,440 posts, read 3,036,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Here's my take-
stay away from the guy that works with Choicedek. Since Lowe's is the retail supplier (meaning you're paying retail prices). I call BS on that real quick. Any knowledgeable and business savvy deck builder will have established accounts with material suppliers other than big box retailers.
This affords him reasonable prices that he can pass-on to his client- it also gives him material choices that you would not other wise have at Orange&Blue.
I had Choicedek, and it looked as good 8 years later (when I sold the house) as it did the day it was installed. On the other hand, I've personally known 2 people that have had to completely replace their Trex decks, because of peeling and the boards falling apart.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I had Choicedek, and it looked as good 8 years later (when I sold the house) as it did the day it was installed.
I never said it was inferior to any other brand. I was merely making an observation about their marketing (which means dollars to a consumer).
On the other hand, I've personally known 2 people that have had to completely replace their Trex decks, because of peeling and the boards falling apart.
I don't use Trex, nor do I encourage anyone too. I personally think the stuff is crap (I'm being kind in my word choice). As I previously stated, I "prefer" the real thing- but if someone asked me my own personal preference other than wood it would be PVC; not composite. That's why Azek is at the top of my list.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 32,275 times
If this helps any: we are tired of staining our 500sq ft cedar deck and there are some warped boards that need replacing. I am waiting for a quote from a local guy that showed me Azek (from Allentown, PA). I did some research and couldn't find anything negative about them. He also showed me Wolf. From what I remember Wolf left Azek and started his own Co. So with that said the products may be identical and my contractor said I can get the Wolf product at a better price.

[url=http://www.prosalesmagazine.com/leadership/wolf-ceo-details-goals-after-dropping-azek.aspx]Wolf CEO Details Goals After Dropping AZEK - Leadership, Customer Service, Exteriors, Wood, Distributors - ProSales Online[/url]

Still waiting for quotes and will definitely do more research.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM

14,518 posts, read 21,161,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Anyone here know anything about Lowes brand ChoiceDek, composite decking?

I've tried to search and have found very little. The few links I've found are pretty much other people asking about ChoiceDek.

Help?
ChoiceDek is a more environmentally friendly choice then Azek.

ChoiceDek is made from recycled plastic bags and bottles, PET plastic (polyethyline terephthalate) which is used to coat wood fibers before extruding it into the deck products.

Azek is made from PVC plastic which has enormous negative environmental impacts.

Quote:
HBN - Environmental Impacts of PVC Building Materials - Summary of Findings
The manufacture, use, and disposal of PVC poses substantial and unique environmental and human health hazards. Across the world, governments, companies, and scientific organizations have recognized the hazards of PVC. In virtually all European nations, certain uses of PVC have been eliminated for environmental reasons, and several countries have ambitious programs to reduce PVC use overall. Scores of communities have PVC avoidance policies, and dozens of green buildings have been built with little or no PVC. Firms in a variety of industries have announced measures to reduce PVC consumption and are using or producing alternative materials in a variety of product sectors, including building materials. This paper discusses the hazards of the PVC lifecycle that have led to this large scale movement away from PVC products.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 17,832 times
Choicedek is actually a decent product. Made by the same people that make Moistureshield on the professional end. Will fade considerably and will stain if you let debris sit on the deck. Trex has had a lot of problems historically. Trex has been the leader and everyone learns from Trex's mistakes. Today's Trex products are of nice quality, expecially the Trancends Colors. Azek is really a tremendous product. Being a cellular PVC it will not Fade or Stain and is very difficult to scratch. I would really be concerned with a knockoff PVC product because the chemistry has to be right. There are good Composites and some really bad composites. I can easily reccomend Timbertech, Trex, Fiberon and Azek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House