Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,221,585 times

Advertisements

Can you please share your tips, including favorite tools, for painting ceilings?

This item on Amazon looks interesting: Mr. Long Arm 9024 Smart Painter System.
Has anyone used this or a similar device?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Yes, you need an extension pole to fit over the end of your regular roller handle. Most rollers have a smaller end that a larger pole will fit over, as a standard thing. You can just go to the Home Depot or whatever big hardware store is in your area, and over in the paint section they'll have extension poles. You can attach a second one, too, if you want, or just get a rather long pole attachment to start with.

If your ceiling is a rough kind, you can use a thicker sort of roller brush itself. That way it gets into the knooks and crannies. Otherwise a regular roller is fine. Use painter's tape along the top of your walls or any molding there. Take off the ceiling fixture, wash it, set it aside. You will need to cut in all the way around the room and around the light fixture place with a paintbrush. You'll need a stepstool to cut in. Keep in mind the extended roller paints quite a distance, so it may drip on floor sometimes, so have some rather large-area drop cloths or plastic on the floor where you are painting. In addition to paint dripping on the floor, it'll sometimes drip on the wall, and also it is very easy to knock the roller right into a wall whilst using an extension pole, so for any and all wall drips, have some cloth in some water to squeeze out and clean up paint on wall immediately, which the stepstool will come in handy for reaching mistakes.

If you're fast and the ceiling is relatively small, you can cut in the whole room, and then roll the whole ceiling standing relatively close to the wall behind you, and just walk forward and backward across the whole room, and then when done, turn around and roll out the patch above where you were standing near the wall. No need to start the rolling directly above you, otherwise you'll strain your neck and eyes. Also, because you're painting upward, your arms can get tired, so sometimes you cannot do a whole room in one go, and so do your cut-in and painting in thirds, so the paint won't dry whilst you take a break after a third is done, and pass out in the hallway wondering why you ever decided to do this. Smile.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Use painter's tape along the top of your walls or any molding there. You will need to cut in ...with a paintbrush.

I always get a kick out of that one.
The whole idea of cutting-in is so you DON"T have to use tape.
Then again, for the layperson I guess every Bandaid is needed.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Can you please share your tips, including favorite tools, for painting ceilings?

Thank you!
There are some paints on the market that have a slight tint to them when wet. The tint turns to white when dry so it's easier to keep track of where you painted (that is if you are painting a ceiling white). A good extension pole helps. Painting ceilings is a pain in the you know what.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
You need either a ladder or an extension pole (I prefer the ladder), and a lot of time, because your arms will get tired and you'll need frequent breaks.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I always get a kick out of that one.
The whole idea of cutting-in is so you DON"T have to use tape.
Then again, for the layperson I guess every Bandaid is needed.
Nice...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post

Thank you!
My suggestion is to not waste your money on gimmicks.

When I'm going to paint a regular 8' ceiling, there are several things I do.

First, get everything possible out of the room. Then cover everything with thin plastic. I can be as careful as possible, but I still always seem to get a little dribble or splatter somewhere. It's just easier to cover stuff.

Second, I "cut in" where the ceiling meets the wall. I put masking tape on the top of the wall, because for me it's quicker and easier than relying on the steadiness of my hand. Use blue painters' tape, as it will come off without pulling paint off the wall.

Third, I use a broom handle (or its equivalent) screwed into the handle of a 9" roller. Use a good roller cover. 1/2" nap for smoother ceiling, 3/4" nap if it's got much of any texture. I have a regular paint roller pan on the floor, with a plastic liner in it.

I paint slowly and methodically, using the "W Motion." If you roll fast, you'll get a lot of splatters. I always apply a second coat.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
I use this:

Amazon.com: Wagner Power Products 284041 Paint Mate Plus Roller: Home Improvement

I believe they have a battery powered one too.

It's great because you don't use a paint tray, since the paint is in the handle. Also, I don't worry about getting paint on the walls. Usually, if I'm doing the ceiling, I'm also painting the walls too and the wall paint will cover any ceiling paint. Do wipe off drips. I'm also a proponent of getting everything out of the room before painting, although I've had to paint around furniture too.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I use this:

Amazon.com: Wagner Power Products 284041 Paint Mate Plus Roller: Home Improvement

I believe they have a battery powered one too.

It's great because you don't use a paint tray, since the paint is in the handle. Also, I don't worry about getting paint on the walls. Usually, if I'm doing the ceiling, I'm also painting the walls too and the wall paint will cover any ceiling paint. Do wipe off drips. I'm also a proponent of getting everything out of the room before painting, although I've had to paint around furniture too.
I used to use that exact same Wagner roller. It worked fine, but the time I saved in dipping my roller into the tray was more than made up for by the amount of time it took to clean the whole thing.

Pretty good product, though.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Gawd I hate painting.

Having a drip tray under your roller seems like a brilliant better-mousetrap, but I think you'll start to really hate that thing pretty fast. Taking the time to lay down some painters plastic and having a good, sturdy, inflexible pole for the roller is about as good as you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House