Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If you like to enjoy your pool au naturel it is a problem.
I really don't "see" the "problem"!
If I want to go Chunky Dunkin' (that's what old fat farts do. As opposed to skinny-dippin', which is what the youngins do) in MY pool I can under no penalty of the law. But you go do the peeky through my fence, over my fence, or around my fence- YOU are breaking the law.

Thanks, harry.

1st time posters that can't contribute something of value to a discussion- but can certainly criticize anyone for one sentence in an open forum should probably be...
...well if they could afford a "blank", they could fill it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 17,550 times
You can grab a screwdriver and rub it on the cracks on your wood fences although cracks may not completely disappear but it may lessen somehow.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelynmgr View Post
You can grab a screwdriver and rub it on the cracks on your wood fences although cracks may not completely disappear but it may lessen somehow.

Read the TITLE of the thread!
There a word in it that explains "everything" your post isn't- BETWEEN

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 13,453 times
I have the same problem...my hillbilly neighbor wouldn't go halves on a nice PVC fence, so he built a cheap cedar fence on his property...straight across our backyards. All started out okay, but after about 3 sections, he and his brother-in-law decided to have a drunk-fest and the fence paid the price. The pickets got further apart, the tops are not close to be even, and in the last 20 feet, the pickets start slanting like crazy! And I have to look at it every time I go into my very small backyard. So my answer is to plant Japanese Boxwood plants or something similar and create a narrow hedge right up next to his fence (planted on my property). Hopefully I will get a little privacy and sound proofing from his drunken barbecues and I won't have to see his lack of handy work.

As an added note, I look for his fence to blow down in a couple of years due to him only planting the posts in about a foot. Hopefully the hedge will absorb some of the shock and save my small trees from being snapped off.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM

10,250 posts, read 10,499,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
We have a 6' tall wooden privacy fence but since there is a slight gap in between each board it's not as private as I hoped. I was thinking about getting some all weather caulk in brown and run a little bead to solve the problem. Does that sound like a decent solution?
Your fence would be illegal in one community where I lived. Their zoning regulations state:

Quote:
A Fence must be constructed so that the open space between each solid face panel
is a minimum of fifty percent (50%) of the width of the horizontal or vertical
solid face panel measured perpendicular to the Fence.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,817,618 times
Most of the fencing gap codes provide for wind stress so that the fence won't come down in a gale. At this point either batten those boards or plants swift growing vines along the fence.

Personally I think privacy is over-rated. Anyone peeking at me in a pool "au naturale" deserves what they see, LOL!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,908,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Are there any SIMPLE solutions to this problem?
You could add a cover strip covering the gap. Big box stores sell lattice strips to make lattice. You could "tack" the strip to on side and allow movement. using a brad nailer and 1 inch brad nail you could tack the strip to one board.

lattice strip is about 3/8 inch thick by 1 1/2 inches wide.

below is not a great example by It may help to got the point across.

OR you could try jambing foam rope insulation into the gap.

1/2"X100' FILLER ROPE by Sashco Sealants Inc - 30501 - More Pipe insulation at doitbest.com

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 12,796 times
Default Shrunken fence boards!

People dont need to push their faces up to the cracks of your fence to see in. I have the same thing going on here. Two years after having a 6' privacy fence put in this winter the boards have shrunk and now you can totally see in when you drive by. If you are just sanding there you can see the same. It's the accumulation of all the cracks in-between the fence boards that makes it somewhat translucent when you drive by. I was shocked as it wasn't that way last year.
When you live in a small town and everyone is watching everything you do you dont have to be "anal" or "shy" just to want some damn privacy in your own back yard. It REALLY SUCKS when you pay thousands for a privacy fence and it shrinks to where it no longer is a privacy fence. I want to go swimming or whatever and no everyone can go back to slowing down and loooooking as they drive by to see what Im doing or whatever.

You spend that much money on a fence and this almost makes it thrown away. It really is a HUGE ISSUE depending where you live. You have enough people sloooooowing down loooooking at you every time your out side and even when your not just to see if you are IT GETS OLD LET ME TELL YA! I have to find a way to make that wood swell up or something. Also, I now know to check into fence installers guaranties on the wood they use. Had this wood been aged or dried all the way the only issue would be swelling IF I didn't have it sealed up right.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM

346 posts, read 547,012 times
After narrowing the gaps in the fence, how will you prevent people from looking down on you from their second story windows? or spying on you by climbing a tall tree? etc. You're not going to get full privacy in your backyard, if people wants to peek, they will find a way to see you.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
Virginia Creeper. Takes a few years to become established, and you'll have to provide support as it gets established, but then it is fairly maintenance-free. Beautiful fall color. Downside is that it can become very heavy and pull a fence over, especially in parts of the country that get wet, late-spring snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House