Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 96,654 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell what is the average cost of buying and installing Mohawk basic solid prefinished 2 1/4 hardwood floors per sq feet. Our developer is charging $11 per sq foot for basic floor.Will it be better to put the hardwood floors later in a new house? I am assuming that even the developer will put the hardwood floor in the end. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
I don't know the going rate for hard wood flooring but I do know that is something you want to get done before you get to far on your house. Once they put the floor in they have to sand it which is very dusty and then they have to stain it and seal it. Messy jobs and IMHO something you don't want to get done after you painted and put your other flooring in.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
There are prefinished floors. But it is hard to match up the flooring with the baseboards, etc... Not impossible though

Old 09-13-2007, 05:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
That price is probably on par with most builders. It is directly dependant upon what grade you use though. Pre-finished hardwoods do not have the mess involved that site finished do. Site finished hardwoods are the better value as they can be refinished over and over again. With that said, I am having prefinished installed in my new house simply because the reason posted above...big mess to install site finished after the fact, the builder doesnt offer them, and I want the house down when I move in so I dont have to do a thing. Im booked solid finding things to fix in everybody elses homes so I dont have much time to work on my own lol. (Im an inspector)
Prefinished look good though and clean up real easy. They are coated for increased durability. The only downside is you cannot refinish them multiple times if at all, depending on the brand.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I don't know the going rate for hard wood flooring but I do know that is something you want to get done before you get to far on your house. Once they put the floor in they have to sand it which is very dusty and then they have to stain it and seal it. Messy jobs and IMHO something you don't want to get done after you painted and put your other flooring in.
The OP said that it was "prefinished" flooring, so no sanding, staining, or sealing is necessary.

To the OP. . . .We are having prefinished hardwood flooring installed in our house. There are a number of costs that will add up.

1. Wood flooring itself
2. Labor to install the flooring
3. Wood mouldings (this can be expensive if it matches the floor)
4. Labor to install the moulding
5. Labor to rip out the old floor (does not apply in your case)
6. Labor to move appliances etc (does not apply in your case)

To give you a ballpark figure. We are paying $3/sq ft for item #2. We are paying $1/linear foot for item #4. If you consider items #1 thru #4 together, it worked out to be about $9/sq ft.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-humidity.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...struction.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...lp-please.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...lp-please.html

Some City-Data Archives reading.
Not a lot about pricing, though.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 43,258 times
Default where do these prices come from?

I read through the posts here, and I set up an account to say W.T.F.? Pardon my language, but I keep seeing these outragous costs for hardwood floors. Labor charges for moving furniture and appliances? Do your floors before you paint?

The average cost for a hardwood floor should be about $5 a square foot. No extra cost for anything silly. The price may go up a little if you want a rare wood, or if you want a medalion or somthing. That price should include wood, nails/glue, stain, finish, moving your stuff, and only go up a couple dollars for the exotic woods. Base, shoe, stairs, railings, etc. can match your floor.

Also, if you are having a lot of work done at once it is best to paint before you do your floor. If you let the paint dry any dust will wipe off. If you do the floor first you risk dripping paint on your new floor, and then paying to have it fixed. The dust is containable. You can also cut a little off the cost if you put cabinets on the subfloor, and run the hardwood to the cabinets. It cuts the risk of the cabinets scratching your floor when moved with-in and installed in your home.

If you can't find these prices, and honest answers I know the guys for the job. Quality work for the right price.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 33,877 times
Default floor warrior is confused

Are you laying linoleum and think it's hardwood floor? Let's just a you're doing 500 square feet your going to rip out the old floor remove all the trim and replace it, buying new floor for approximately 2.50, underlayment and at least 3 $60 dollar tubs of glue could be cheaper if you're lucky with nail down. As well as dispose of the old floor 4 only 2 dollars and 50 cents a square foot minus the cost of dumping underlayments and trim and glue? U need to come work with me ill double your salary and still give the client a hookup

Old 08-21-2010, 01:34 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
^^ floor warrior hasn't posted here in almost a year.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 24,406 times
Default Ok so who do we call???

I saw your post regarding the reasonable cost for the installation of hardwood floors. Please let me know if the contractor that you are referring to works in the Dayton/Centerville area of OH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor warrior View Post
I read through the posts here, and I set up an account to say W.T.F.? Pardon my language, but I keep seeing these outragous costs for hardwood floors. Labor charges for moving furniture and appliances? Do your floors before you paint?

The average cost for a hardwood floor should be about $5 a square foot. No extra cost for anything silly. The price may go up a little if you want a rare wood, or if you want a medalion or somthing. That price should include wood, nails/glue, stain, finish, moving your stuff, and only go up a couple dollars for the exotic woods. Base, shoe, stairs, railings, etc. can match your floor.

Also, if you are having a lot of work done at once it is best to paint before you do your floor. If you let the paint dry any dust will wipe off. If you do the floor first you risk dripping paint on your new floor, and then paying to have it fixed. The dust is containable. You can also cut a little off the cost if you put cabinets on the subfloor, and run the hardwood to the cabinets. It cuts the risk of the cabinets scratching your floor when moved with-in and installed in your home.

If you can't find these prices, and honest answers I know the guys for the job. Quality work for the right price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House