Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,137,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
When I last shopped for a bed, I brought my own pillows along. (Yes, even into the stores.) I wanted to give each bed it's best shot at making me comfortable.
What happens if someone brings his own pillows and comforter into a mattress store to try out some mattresses and bed bugs infest the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,203,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
What happens if someone brings his own pillows and comforter into a mattress store to try out some mattresses and bed bugs infest the store?
I didn't bring a comforter, but I did bring my pillows.

A pregnant cockroach could have fallen out of someone else's pocket or handbag and crawled into mine, or maggots feasting on a a few old crumbs dropped in the store could have climbed into my shoes... What would have happened then?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I didn't bring a comforter, but I did bring my pillows.

A pregnant cockroach could have fallen out of someone else's pocket or handbag and crawled into mine, or maggots feasting on a a few old crumbs dropped in the store could have climbed into my shoes... What would have happened then?
You would have had monumental problems for experiencing that mattress store. I de-sanitized after some sales lady put me on a sleep machine for about 15 minutes. God only knows how many others used that machine.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 32,528 times
Shreck,
I would recommend a latex mattress, but with your experience with the SI foam, you may be a little skittish on an all foam set. If you go with an innerspring set, stay away from a pocketed coil set. The thinner gauge wire used in these type coil will not give good support for someone of your weight. Make sure that the springs are twice tempered and at least 13 gauge, preferably 12.5 and at least 416 coils (queen size). I would stay away from Sertas or other "national" brands, they use lighter weight fillers to give a soft feel. They will develop body impressions much sooner. I'm sure there is a quality regional manufacturer that uses at least 1.8-2.0 pound polyfills. If you are a side sleeper, make sure you get one with sufficient thickness to reduce pressure on your shoulder and hip. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereksdad View Post
Shreck,
I would recommend a latex mattress, but with your experience with the SI foam, you may be a little skittish on an all foam set. If you go with an innerspring set, stay away from a pocketed coil set. The thinner gauge wire used in these type coil will not give good support for someone of your weight. Make sure that the springs are twice tempered and at least 13 gauge, preferably 12.5 and at least 416 coils (queen size). I would stay away from Sertas or other "national" brands, they use lighter weight fillers to give a soft feel. They will develop body impressions much sooner. I'm sure there is a quality regional manufacturer that uses at least 1.8-2.0 pound polyfills. If you are a side sleeper, make sure you get one with sufficient thickness to reduce pressure on your shoulder and hip. Good luck with your search.
Thanks. I definitely do not want to get back into a mattress that leaves body impressions, furrows, valleys and plateaus. What do you think of the Sealy Posturepedic Roseshore firm set advertised by Costco? and Yes I am a side sleeper and I do not want a mattress that will develop rounded edges.

Costco - Sealy Posturepedic Roseshore Firm Mattress Collection

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Laying on one in a store for a few minutes is really meaningless. When we first got our mattress home, I nearly returned it. It was so . . . different. Within a few days I discovered that different was actually better, but it took a few days to get used to different and realize that it was better. It took years and years to realize that it was also better because it did not change after years and years. Sometimes a mattress that feels great when you first lay on it is very different when you try to go to sleep. Someting to lay on when you are awake and alert is a couch. If you want to test a matress, you need to sleep on it for a few days (or weeks) to really know how it suits you. Many mattresses are deisgned simply to feel good in the store. Memory foam, sleep number and pillow top beds are frequently like that. However when you get home and that memory foam makes you sweaty, or restricts your movement, or whatever, you realize that you do not really like it after all.

Your best bet is to visit people with different types of guest room mattresses, or try hotels. However I have never seen memory foram, sleep number, or latex mattresses in hotels. It might be hard to really tryout the options and when you are looking at $2000 - $3000 for a good king sized mattress set, it can be an expensive mistake to get something that is not right for you long term.

Oh and with brand names (Sealey for example), you generally do nto get a good buy for the moeny. You can get better quality for your money by going with the outlets for a good local mattress factory. Many of them show you the insides of their mattresses compared to sealy and other popular brands. You can see the difference in quality (except Latex foam rubber, they are solid so there is nothing inside to see. However you can compare the density of the latex.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,571,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
...I do not know how society became so tangled up in buying memory foam mattresses as opposed to the old spring style mattresses. When I was in the Marines I slept on a very thin mattress on top of a metal spring frame. Never did I have a back problem in those days sleeping on a real rack.
But did you weigh 280 lbs then too? Spring mattresses wreak havoc with my pressure points since I'm overweight. My latex mattress has elimiated all of those pressure points.

I know of three couples who absolutely love their sleep number beds. I didn't look into those because I thought you couldn't use a traditional bed frame.

Last edited by eggalegga; 04-09-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,516,427 times
Here is a company I have considered buying an airbed from -Arise and Ascend Air Bed System - the prices are good, the website shows you everything that goes into their beds in terms of layers and construction, and they have a 365 day return policy.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
But did you weigh 280 lbs then too? Spring mattresses wreak havoc with my pressure points since I'm overweight. My latex mattress has elimiated all of those pressure points.

I know of three couples who absolutely love their sleep number beds. I didn't look into those because I thought you couldn't use a traditional bed frame.
No, only 175 to 180 in those days. Bodies do change over time.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-10-2012 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

17 posts, read 32,528 times
Shrek,
I would not recommend any mattress from costco or Sams club. These mattresses are built to a contracted price. To meet this price, they have to skimp on the materials. They will not have quality foams and fillers in them. They try to capitalize on the national labels name, but the quality is not there. You would be just as well off going to one of the craigslist "warehouse outlets" advertising the cheapest stuff. They will be selling the same level of quality. With your weight, you will develop body impressions quickly. I do not know where you are, but if you send me a pm I will let you know the quality brand I carry and you can see if they have any outlets near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House