Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

I do not understand why they continue to make coil spring mattresses. So many other options are much much better and not all alternatives cost more. Anyone know why they keep making them? Maybe it is just becuase they already have the factories built out to manufacture them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 26,681 times
Post Best Mattress for Big Guys

Hello Southside Shrek,

We both seem to have the same weight profile. I too am 270 pounds, 6 ft tall and in my 40s . Finding a mattress that is firm, but not too firm has been challenging! Foam mattresses are no good for us heavy fellas. Memory foam and Latex mattresses are not good for neck and back support. Ive done a lot of research on mattresses and ended up going with a King Koil Mattress. What sold me was the high grade steel coils that are grouped closer together where they're needed, specifically at the shoulders, neck and hips. It has really helped me avoid back and neck pain where other mattresses have failed. I found a site that has independent reviews on a lot of mattress brands. Worth checking out. bestchoicemattress.com

Have a good one.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,201 times
When you will go to buy a mattress for you then at time, you must check the mattress by lying on it, but I think that memory foam mattress is the best option for you if you are having this weight. This mattress can adjust pressure according to body weight. I think this is the best mattress to buy for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,951,425 times
Waterbed. (sorry if that was mentioned earlier) BTW, 280 lbs is not considered a heavy person in terms of mattresses.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,713 times
I am obese man that is disabled and spend most my time in bed. I have spent thousands of dollars on the top of the line beds from sealy, beautyrest etc and not one mattress sold today can last more than a few months for me. I am about 450lbs and foam, latex, spring, air will not last, they all are not made strong. I get the firmest mattress each brand sells and it has had to be replaced. I really hope they would stop selling these inexpensive to make over priced mattresses and say they are the best well no they are not. I pray that someone somewhere will make something that I can sleep on because I am getting very sick from not being able to sleep from the pain. If anyone knows a queen size or king size bed that can help me please email me at [email]trixster67@live.com[/email] thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,913,380 times
No matter what mattress you choose, remember to flip and rotate the mattress for better wear.

Rotating a New Mattress : Mattresses - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,797,051 times
Trixster, call Cantwell Mattress company in San Antonio. Explain your issue and see if they can help you. They build their own mattresses and have some that are put together extremely strong. They can make just about anything you need from a 2 sided, pillowtop 2 sided, grab handles, fire resistant, you name it, they can build it. They've been around long enough to be on the third generation. Hope this is helpful for you.
San Antonio Mattress Store | Adjustable Beds San Antonio | Corpus Christi Mattress Store |Cantwell Mattress

FWIW, of the mattress brands you named, they are all crap. I bought a Beautyrest last October, paid over a grand for it. It's already gone and replaced with a Cantwell. The wire frame broke on the BR. The Cantwells frame is about 4 times heavier.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,963,836 times
Visit a Sleep Number store and have them figure out your number. They decrease the air in a test mattress until your body seems to be totally supported. I actually subtracted a bit of air to get my most comfortable number. I have found this mattress to be the most comfortable I have ever slept on. I think you might be happy with one of their beds.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 AM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
I support the sleep number bed. Had a firm mattress, got married, wife has spinal problems, we got a queen size select comfort. My number is 80 and her number is 35. It has a 10 year warranty and a cooling material. Wife needs the soft setting because of the very bad spinal curve. Right shoulder twist back and left hip twist forward. As our weight changes, so does our sleep number. Can't change firmness on a spring mattress with the push if a button.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,818,648 times
Original Mattress Factory, no pillowtop or Eurotop. Get Orthopedic Ultra Firm with all of the extra edge support that they can install nowadays. And their matching box spring, unless you have a platform bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House