U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM

119 posts, read 173,427 times
Default Getting Rid of that Awful Smell from the Sink/Garbage Disposal

What methods have you found successful in getting rid of that awful smell coming from your sink/garbage disposal. I have heard of using a lemon, etc, but wanted to check to see what else was effective, and safe for the pipes/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM

1,093 posts, read 865,895 times
Default We tried everything

We tried every commercial remedy available from normal stores and every one from holistic ones. Nothing worked. Eventually we replaced the disposal. Smell gone. We probably spent almost as much on the remedies (over about a 2 yr period of suffering with the smell - yes we are lazy and took too long to replace) than we did on the new disposal. I have instructed spouse to not ever, ever pour grease down the disposal which is what I think happened to start the problem.

I think Citrasolv Amazon.com: Cleaner/Degreaser highly concentrated, Valencia Orange, 16 oz.: Health & Personal Care was the most effective if you want to try something.

Most spectacular was a packet that produced blue foam and eventually went down with a swish. Might work for light problems. I don't recall that it did much for ours for more than a day or two.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM

5,949 posts, read 10,299,226 times
Have you tried about 3/4 C baking soda and 3/4 hot vinegar? Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then flush the disposal with hot water while you're running it. See if that will help?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM

3,888 posts, read 2,746,616 times
We just had our garbage disposal in the breakroom at work removed. It kept smelling horribly, and the repair guy told us it was because we weren't using it enough. Hardly anyone ever used it, so we don't miss it at all.

At home I use a lot of lemons and limes, and when I am finished squeezing the juice out I cut them into small pieces and put them down the disposal. Seems to work just fine, I never get any type of smell from mine.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM

9,924 posts, read 11,163,259 times
Have you removed the rubber gasket and cleaned it?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 AM

717 posts, read 941,054 times
Yes, check the rubber gasket. Those can get really nasty and smelly on the underside.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Have you removed the rubber gasket and cleaned it?
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Yes, check the rubber gasket. Those can get really nasty and smelly on the underside.
And Ditto.

Stuff gets flung up to the underside of the rubber gasket, and turns to slime. Nothing you can grind can clean it off or make the smell go away.
If the rubber gasket is removable, you can pull it out and scrub the mess off. It is easy to remove and replace and the gunk comes off easily.

Our current disposal is made so it collects almost no gunk on the underside of the gasket, which is good. It is not removable, and it would be difficult to scrub clean.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 AM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
Run the disposal with ice cubes in it to clear all the solid stuff out.

Add about a half cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar. Let it sit for awhile. Follow with a flush of hot water.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Orange peel works. If it doesn't, then tear out the sink and disposal, including replacing the drain. Drains can get extremely nasty. Start anew.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,187,885 times
Other thing I will suggest is to clean the trap to rule it out as being the cause of the smell. I second the using ice cubes then vinegar and baking soda. (If you didn't know...... vinegar and baking soda react and foam up when combined- thats what is suppose to happen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House