Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,357,409 times

Advertisements

I hope someone on here can give me some advice. My wife and I recently moved to a house that is only about nine years old. We would like to fence in the backyard so our dog can run around without worry. We're looking at getting some type of wood fence, four foot high (privacy isn't a big concern for us in this neighborhood). I would be fine with chainlink, but no one else in our neighborhood has that, so we're not going that route.

I've gotten quotes from the two companies that seem to do all the residential fencing work in this area. Company A probably does the most in our town. They suggested a pressure treated wood fence.

Company B suggested a wood cedar fence. They claim this will last longer than the pressure treated wood fences, and tend not to warp or bend. Their quote was about $600.00 more.

So what it boils down to is I need to know if the cedar fencing is worth the extra $600, and if the treated wood tends not to age well. We intend to be in this house for at least the next ten years, so we want something that will look decent and last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,623,748 times
Mase

If for dog and child restriction, I would suggest a picket style. It allows light/air passage and to me looks "friendlier" then solid privacy type fences.

Also are you in a Home Owners Association. If so, check there rules and regulations about such.

Cedar will warp less then treated wood. Cedar must be stained evry few years to maintain its look. Treated can be painted and will powerwash to lighten it as it naturally darkens.

I would ask each company where I could see examples of the proposed fence, even if just a drive by, and base the decision on which looks best to you.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM

accufitgolf, yes, it will be a picket style either way. There is no HOA here, so no worries with that.

The cedar seems to be what we're leaning towards. I don't want to invest several grand in a fence, only to have the boards warping and bending in a few years.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,611,491 times
Be sure to put the crossbars on the outside so the dog can't use them to climb the fence.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Our dog is just a 15 lb miniature schnauzer, so climbing the fence probably won't be an issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM

17,419 posts, read 65,602,603 times
The only true advantage of cedar over PT is it's stability- but that depends on what type of cedar we're talking about.
Other than that, PT is by far the superior choice for strength and durability. Maintenance can be a non-issue if you prefer the wood to just "silver". But if you went with cedar, why waste the opportunity to not "show it off" with a stain/sealer. You could do the same with PT, but it doesn't do it much justice.
The main thing to consider with fence companies is how they go about building the fence and the materials used. All wood fences use PT for the structural parts- the pickets are the defining item. Cedar, as I previously mentioned is quite stable- right out of the bundle. PT however, because of the preservative process usually has a very high moisture content. If the pickets are allowed to air dry a couple of days before installing- culling out possible problem boards is easily accomplished.
The other, is the companies warranty - what is their policy for replacing warped boards?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM

I guess I didn't realize there are different types of cedar. All Company B's info just says "cedar." They have a three year warranty.

Company A has, IIRC, only a one year warranty on their pressure treated pine. The rep from Company B claimed that Company A is sometimes known for _not_ giving their pressure treated wood enough time to air dry, so it's interesting you bring that up.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM

23,534 posts, read 69,968,609 times
I have a bunch of cedar scraps around. The heartwood is stable and has lots of natural chemicals in it that act to preserve it. The sapwood can get punky pretty easily.

KB is right on target. With pressure treated wood, rick it outside (away from ground moisture) and let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. You'll see some that are hysterically warped. FWIW, sometimes the warping isn't a big issue. If you have a deck of pressure treated lumber, and you have attached it to the frame before it dries, the structure of the joists will prevent it from warping.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM

Good advice, but I'm not going to be procuring the wood myself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,623,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have a bunch of cedar scraps around. The heartwood is stable and has lots of natural chemicals in it that act to preserve it. The sapwood can get punky pretty easily.

KB is right on target. With pressure treated wood, rick it outside (away from ground moisture) and let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. You'll see some that are hysterically warped. FWIW, sometimes the warping isn't a big issue. If you have a deck of pressure treated lumber, and you have attached it to the frame before it dries, the structure of the joists will prevent it from warping.
The only warping I have had with several PT wood decks was a few vertical rails. Maybe 2-3 out of 40 or so. Each screwed in with one screw at top and one at bottom. Easy peezy to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House