Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times

Advertisements

My DH and I just finished building a customized shed to fit our needs. This can easily be used for a cabin with some easy additions

I posted this on our TN story but here is the direct link if you want to check it out.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23916893-post2566.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
COOL BEANS! Thanks so much, Lisa!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,361,347 times
Good thing that Niki was on the job supervising or heaven knows what you mere humans might have cobbled together.

I hope the rest of the project continues to go well and that you're pleased as punch with the final results.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
That is a neat idea. Where di you get a shipping container? How did you get it there to begin with?

Did you put footings under the blocks? If not how do you keep your shed from sinking when it rains?

How heavy is that container? The jack in the photo looks like my 6 ton jack. Can that container weight more than 6 tons?

Obviously you live in a place where the neighbors do nto call the local code enforcement guy and make you get a permit. Lucky. We could never get away with something like that. If we could build it at all, it woudl have to be built to code, unless we could get away with calling it temporary since it does nto technically attach to the ground. However where we live, without 40" footings, it would be the leaning tower of shed in one season. It would be gone altogether in two.

I like your tractor (jealous)

Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
COOL BEANS! Thanks so much, Lisa!
You're welcome. I'm glad you found it We are running out of projects though

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Good thing that Niki was on the job supervising or heaven knows what you mere humans might have cobbled together.

I hope the rest of the project continues to go well and that you're pleased as punch with the final results.
Thank you....yeah that Niki is such perfectionist, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is a neat idea. Where di you get a shipping container? How did you get it there to begin with?

Did you put footings under the blocks? If not how do you keep your shed from sinking when it rains?

How heavy is that container? The jack in the photo looks like my 6 ton jack. Can that container weight more than 6 tons?

Obviously you live in a place where the neighbors do nto call the local code enforcement guy and make you get a permit. Lucky. We could never get away with something like that. If we could build it at all, it woudl have to be built to code, unless we could get away with calling it temporary since it does nto technically attach to the ground. However where we live, without 40" footings, it would be the leaning tower of shed in one season. It would be gone altogether in two.

I like your tractor (jealous)
Wow...Ok..let me try and answer your questions.

We have two shipping containers. The first one I got the number off of the side of another container when we were in town one day about 6 years ago. That is the one you see in the picture. We made a huge mistake with that one and trusted the company over the phone about the condition of it. We bought a "good" conditioned container sight unseen and they delivered it to our old property. We then had our grader take it to the top of our mountain a couple of years later.

The second container which you will get to see next week was bought from a place we saw off the highway in VA. That is where we went to look at another container but the prices were too high. They also delivered by truck to our old place. We found a local man who was willing to deliver that one to the top of our mountain.

We did not put footings under the blocks. Our shipping containers which are much heavier are only on cement pads for the past 4 years. They are fine. Our "ugly" container was never quite level to begin with. The new shed is much lighter so I don't expect it to sink much if at all. We actually made it higher in the back corner because it was fresh dirt. We expected it to sink about a half an inch. Even with all of our rain it has not happened yet.

We don't have any building codes where we are and we don't have any neighbors

If we were to build something more than a shed like a house or a cabin, we would have used footers.

The container weighs somewhere around 3000-4000 pounds. My DH thinks our jack is a 1 1/2 ton jack....not sure...the mind is getting older, lol. Either way it would not lift the building.

Yeah hubby loves our tractor. You would not believe the things we do with that tractor

Thanks for writing in.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,617,450 times
Ah....We have such a problem in our development. We can have no used pool or used shed.
I don't think I have read that anywhere before but, yes we will need a brand new shed or
the board will fine us. Then, in that case, we'd have to move it out.
Not a good thing.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,204,194 times
.........And there's Niki! She is so cute sitting there like she's supervising you guys.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM

10,039 posts, read 17,995,009 times
Lisa, you guys are amazing. I love reading about your projects!! Wish I were as handy!!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM

Here is the second part of our story. Time for the trusses and the roof

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24017827-post2568.html

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Here are the shelves:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24208152-post2573.html

The shed is finished and we are loving it

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24424013-post2583.html

Last edited by ylisa7; 05-23-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House