U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM

134 posts, read 458,660 times

Advertisements

we just signed a contract on a house but it won't pass inspection because the water heater is on the ground. How much will it cost to raise it a couple of feet off the ground?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
you can buy a water heater stand for about $40.
you can hire a plumber to do the work for about $100

Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM

3,314 posts, read 8,511,441 times
Or put bricks underneath it. Call a plumber. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM

11,877 posts, read 45,676,236 times
What says it won't pass inspection?
Where is the W/H located? How old is it? These things can mean the difference between moving, replacing, or doing nothing at all.
There are no "standard guidelines" for VA loan appraisals/ visual inspection. The thing that most people overlook/examine is the code(s) at the time the house was built- homes built 10 or more years ago don't have to meet today's codes.
If you want a detailed inspection you'd still need to hire a private inspector. As I previously mentioned, it's an appraisal more than a code compliant inspection.
I'll give more in-depth detail with answers to the above questions.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What says it won't pass inspection?
Where is the W/H located? How old is it? These things can mean the difference between moving, replacing, or doing nothing at all.
There are no "standard guidelines" for VA loan appraisals/ visual inspection. The thing that most people overlook/examine is the code(s) at the time the house was built- homes built 10 or more years ago don't have to meet today's codes.
If you want a detailed inspection you'd still need to hire a private inspector. As I previously mentioned, it's an appraisal more than a code compliant inspection.
I'll give more in-depth detail with answers to the above questions.
my realtor did. from what i read that is only if it is in the garage.

I live in texas. ellis county. W/H is in bathroom closet which i thought was a violation in itself but maybe not. Don't know how old it is. 15 years?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
Un

I copied the following from the VA site:

Q: What can VA not do?

A: Guarantee that a home is free of defects. VA guarantees only the loan. It is your responsibility to assure that you are satisfied with the property being purchased. The VA appraisal is not intended to be an "inspection" of the property. You should seek expert advice (a qualified residential inspection service), as necessary, BEFORE legally committing to a purchase agreement.
If you have a home built, VA cannot compel the builder to correct construction defects although VA does have the authority to suspend a builder from further participation in the home loan program.
VA cannot guarantee that you are making a good investment. VA cannot provide you with legal services.

I went looking for such recently as my daughter is selling her house (the buyer is using a VA loan) and she said the VA wanted so and so done as result of a home inspection. I replied the VA does not care about home inspections. The requests are a result of the buyers inspection. They are not from the VA.

I say pay no attention to your realtor. Wait until you have a contract and home inspection that requests whatever before changing whatever.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
I believe the year was 1996 that the Feds mandated any water heaters regardless of ignition source meaning gas or electric , either new or replacement units, must be 18" above the floor if it is in a room that opens to the garage or in the garage. This is for Gov't loans only-FHA/VA. I'm going to assume the date of manufacture which is also required on the unit is past the mandated date. Unfortunately, most plumbers are clueless and don't install replacement units that are in the garage or room opening to the garage with the 18" chair. You might also want to note that if it is a built in dedicated framed room off of the garage or in the garage, it MUST be totally sealed from the living quarters. Some inspectors on new houses will miss this often.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM

hmm..... guess i will just wait to see what the appraisor says. it's on the floor in the bathroom of the master bedroom.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
A gas fired water heater can not be in a bathroom or room opening to a bathroom or bedroom. It can not be installed in a room that is used as conditioned air plenum. This water heater is a major violation and will have to be removed from the bathroom if gas fired. Cost CAN be expensive depending on the condition of the current plumbing system and locations suitable for the water heater. Per code 502.4 as follows:

502.4 Prohibited location. Gas-fired water heaters shall not be
installed in a sleeping room, bathroom or a closet accessed
through a sleeping room or bathroom.
This is assuming it's a gas fired unit. You may get by with an electric unit but it is required to be 18" above the floor. All ICC code requirements for the electrical hookup must be met.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
hmm..... guess i will just wait to see what the appraisor says. it's on the floor in the bathroom of the master bedroom.

UNT

It has nothing to do with the appraisor. It has to do with the inspector. Appraisal and inspection are two different tasks and usually performed by two different people both of whom the buyer will pay for.

The appraisal is ordered by the lender and the buyer pays for it. The buyer orders and pays for the inspection. Appraisals are usually mandatory. Inspections are optional but foolish if not done. My last two cost about $400.00 each.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 04-24-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or