Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wonder if the county records could tell me if the snotty newlyweds next door were going to have five snotty, noisy kids?
I'm not sure what your problem is or why you would rail on one descriptive detail in what was intended to be a helpful post.

Since I do want to help the OP, I will add that property records can tell you stuff like if a home is owned by a church/cult that likes to move in a dozen members of one family they recruited from out of state as new members.

They can tell you if a house has sold multiple times in the recent past, potentially a red flag.

They can tell you if the sellers are underwater with their mortgage.

As for whether those folks are snotty, well, snotty people usually reveal themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
hmm, well, theresonly realy 2 things iwish id have known
1: that the previous owners were self employed contractors who spent the past 10 years dumping the remains of their jobs in the wooded part of the property (i have a LOT of old roofing shingles, rotten wood, nails and various junk piled in the woods that make it look like a small town was destroyed back there, unforutnatly climbing through the brush to check out what was hdden behind masses of privet and vine and old pines was not part of "the tour". had i known there was so mch junk that im eventually going to have to have hauled off/burried i MIGHT have thought twice

2: that the neighbors are the previous owners and still seem to feel like they have whatever rights to using this land, they want...this includes letting thier hihgly dog agressive dog off its chain to run around my land using it as a potty and terrorize my dogs who are behind a fence. and their little rat terrier use my front lawn and even stoop as a potty.

but otherwise some suggestions, get a GOOD agent, one whos working for you...my agent worked her BUTT off for me and belive me the commission on this property was pennies (it also wasnt her listing so she got even less) but she still worked her tail off
get a GOOD inspector...and be there for the inspection if possible...
TRUST your gut...if it doesnt feel right...dont move on it
DONT GET ATTATCHED...the road is bumpy and can be a pain in the tuckus...dont get attatched to a property untill its yours...
Dont get hung up on other peopels furniture, decorating ect...your not buying the furnture and paint colors are EAISLY changed!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
My DH bought this house before we were married. There is a very long walk from garage to kitchen....really a big PITA.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
lol, am I the only one who had HAPPY things to say about buying a house?!

Maybe my post (#2 on this thread) wasn't as helpful as some of yours, but I wanted the OP not to feel so nervous ... it CAN work out well!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
My friend purchased a very nicely restored Craftsman style house a couple of years ago in IL .
The issue is that he thinks the house is haunted.
I mean really haunted.
Lot's of activity like hearing voices, things being moved while their away and quite a few cold spots.
This man is very rational but it's driving him and his family a little crazy.
I'm very sure he wished the previous owners would have said something about it but then again I'm very sure that if he had known they would not have purchased it.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tle990 View Post
Somewhat nervous first-time buyers here. Are there things you don't like about your house that you wish you had known before you purchased it? Given what you know now, would you have made the same decision? What are some things we should look for/pitfalls to avoid when looking at houses and making a purchase decision? Thanks for any advice!
I think I would have kept my plan to live in The Lakes or The Gates.
They were my favorite choices and still are.

I would understand better that living with no basement is very difficult and a "shed" is a must in that case. Even with attic storage there still is
too much for a garage.

I like having my own pool, but still have thoughts of less work with a community pool.

I'd want to be a bit closer to friends we have made here, rather then further.

Lastly, I'd buy closer to the beach so I could take the cart there and so my company could.

Nothing major really. I still like where I live and its location is good.
I still love my home and its style. Plus, its nice to wake up to the pond in the back with the ducks and egrets. Alls good.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM

167 posts, read 359,252 times
I was pretty knowledgeable about what I was getting when I bought my house. I did my homework and had a thorough home inspection. What I wished I had known was that certain features of the house that I thought were fine, would end up bugging me.

With my first house I did not realize that I would never want to use the yard because it wasn't private. When I bought, I didn't know that having 10 different houses looking into my yard would mean I'd avoid spending time there.

I thought having 4 small bedrooms would be great because it would give me a spare room for the few times a year I had overnight guests. I wish I known that I would have rather had 3 bigger bedrooms that get used all the time. The spare room sits empty and seems to be a place where junk collects. I didn't know that having the master bedroom at the front of the house would be louder and feel less private.

I didn't realize that my stairs with 2 turns would make it difficult/impossible to get some furniture in my basement.

I didn't realize that the small foyer, which seemed perfectly adequate in July when we viewed the house, would feel too small to take off heavy coats and boots in January.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
lol, am I the only one who had HAPPY things to say about buying a house?!

Maybe my post (#2 on this thread) wasn't as helpful as some of yours, but I wanted the OP not to feel so nervous ... it CAN work out well!
We have lots of positive things about our house. But that is not what the OP asked for. They asked what we wished we knew before buying our homes. This does not generally mean positive things. Positive things are great to discover after buying the house, but I do not know why anyone wished they had discvered more positive facts BEFORE buying the house. "I wish I had known the views woudl be so pretty all through the year" (?) "Gee if only I had known that I probably would have paid them more for this house, ohh snap, missed my opportunity to pay extra."

Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Um, I was trying to assuage their nervousness with positive things. That's part of how I "read" their post, as being nervous that somehow they would find out all these bad things only AFTER buying their house.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
With my first house, I wish I knew the house directly across the street had a renter. (I never would have guessed because the house & yard was meticulous and the friendly tenant was often outside, doing things like standing on a ladder and touch-up painting.) When that older gentleman passed away a year or two later, the next set of tenants had a LOT of teenage children, who blasted their car stereos when they were sitting in the yard, parked on the lawn, etc. The family often chained their dog to a front tree and it barked incessantly. (Yes, I complained, but it was always something and a headache nonetheless. It also became a source of embarrassment for me when I had guests.) The tenants who followed them were dealing drugs from the house around-the-clock and had cars with thumping music pulling up at all sorts of hours. The police were often there, (sirens and all), as well. This was in a nice neighborhood, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House