Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,542,442 times

Advertisements

8 years is silly - a made up #.

Current mattress is 10 years, and I hate it because it forms gullies (not terrible, but noticeable) - but haven't pulled the trigger on a new one yet.

New one will be FLIPPABLE (I hate that current mattress is NOT) - I will never again pay for a crappy one sided mattress.

To find a flippable mattress, you have to go outside the big names.

In this part of the country, there is a company called "Original Mattress Factory" - and they make flippable (very comfortable) nice mattresses and sell them in their own stores.

I priced a King (their top of the line) about 2 years ago. Flippable, pillow/luxury top (on both sides of course!) super deep with a stupid # of coils, etc. etc...

About $1200 for the mattress + box springs.

Considering I paid a good bit more than that for the Sealy non-flippable awful thing I'm sleeping on now, I think their prices are a bargain.

I'm sure these types of stores (independent mattress companies) exist everywhere, they're just hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
We just bought a new mattress for the guest bed. As Briolat21 stated, all the new mattresses from the big companies are one sided and don't last as long as the 2-sided ones. Our master bed has a mattress from Original Mattress Factory which is two sided and has been great for 6+ years. I expect many more years from it. Our new mattress is from a local mattress company, Fox Mattress, and is also 2-sided. Both mattress companies will do custom mattresses and both make mostly 2-sided ones. I think they're much better quality than the bigger names. We are big people and we had extra support built into the sides so that they stay firm. Have an old 3/4 size bed in your attic? They make any size. I really recommend looking into the more custom companies, hopefully local, that still really believe in quality.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,120 times
I had to buy a bed for my daughter about 3 years ago. I went to every mattress store in town and refused to buy from anyone. Either the prices were laughable or the service was pathetic. I think one guy was trying to see how long he could go without making a sale. His effort was valiant and I'll bet his streak continues...

I went into one last store and explained what I was looking for. It also happened to be the nicest, brightest store with the most beautiful looking sets. The salesman, who turned out to be the owner, took me right over to a $300 set and said I didn't need anything more than this. My daughter, well into her teens, is a tiny piece of humanity and the salesman said she would make about as much of an impact on the bed as a cat. I didn't need anything more and he didn't try to sell it to me. And it is an excellent set of mattresses. I cannot tell the difference between it and the expensive ones. I have recommended that store to everyone.

I have since moved away, but I have bought the Costco version of the Tempur-Pedic. I love it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,300 times
Several years ago I bought the cheapest flippable queen size mattress and boxspring at Denver Mattress. It is just a basic mattress with a slight pillow top. It was $300 for the whole thing. I keep a mattress cover on it, and spin in the spring and flip in the fall. It is still fine.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,542,442 times
Ahh.. flippable.

We still have our original mattress (queen size) - it is a flippable back when the big names made flippable mattresses. It got relegated to the "guest" bedroom, when we changed our master to a king.

Seriously, flip a couple of times a year, and there will be no issues with depressions or grooves or anything!

Our King on the other hand (stupid non-flippable piece of garbage!) -within a year we noticed that we kept rolling towards the middle.

(my husband and I could both stand to lose some weight, but we are not in the 300lb bariatric equipment needed category!!!!!!!)

We went to flip it, and literally realized right then - it was not flippable. They hadn't even pointed out that it wasn't and I'd never paid attention when I bought it, because I'd never realized they were going to ONE SIDED mattresses.

I mean doesn't that automatically seem like it would shorten the useable life??

Someday we will get our (relatively cheap) flippable King. We just have a huge list of other priorities to tackle before that (like fixing the bed frame that was damaged in the move...)

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
We bought a new mattress set last year. We paid around 800 or 900. Cant remember. I'm not impressed. Its a pillow top but on my husband's side, the pillow top portion is crushed down from when he gets up and sits on the side of the bed. Its only been a year. Its not flippable, you turn it. So guess who has the crushed side now. Our mattress before that took many many many years before it started to break down.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Flipping it is a breeze.
I wanted to flip out mattress, and was surprised to find out the pillowed top is only on one side. Grrrr. After only 4 years I can start to see where each of us sleeps. The best I can do is turn it upside down, but I can't flip it.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
Our mattress is a king size Tempurpedic. We've had it for almost 6 years and it still looks and feels brand new. I have kept a soft, waterproof cover on it since the day we bought it. Supposedly, dust mites can't live in Tempurpedic foam, bu I don't know if I really believe that or not, but the cover protects it anyway. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Those mattress commercials saying if they are 8 years old, you should buy new is stupid. Our last mattress was a cheapy and about 12 years old when we got rid of it. It was worn out, but it definitely was not worn out after 8.

We have one pillowtop, in one of our sons rooms. I hate that thing. We bought it when he was in junior high and he slept on it for 6 years, before he left for college. This kid was really small for his age, and didn't even hit 100lbs until his senior year in high school, yet it looks like elephants have slept on that mattress. It sags and bags, and I can't stand to sleep on it because you just sink down into it. It's just ridiculous.

At the same time, we bought a regular ole 2 sided mattress for our other son. His is still perfect. He slept on it for 5 years before leaving for college, but he was much larger than his brother. It's really firm, but we put an egg crate on top of it after he left for college because he got used to sleeping on one in his dorm. That bed is great. Whenever my husband or I are having trouble sleeping we go up and sleep in his room.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Ripoff!!!!

I bought the most comfy mattress I have ever had for 99 bucks. I have had it for about 6 years and it is still in great shape.

One thing I do is flip the mattress every time I wash the sheets....stops excessive wear on the springs.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Buying a mattress almost like buying a car. Found lots of pressure to upgrade, best one, etc. We bought a Simmons--seems okay. Last one was a Sealy--at 8 years it was going strong, like new. I had a guy at a local Metro Mattress get caustic with me. I told him my price and he said, "Well, if it was free would you buy it"? Couldn't figure out that one. It wasn't free. Some Napolean complex type guy. Hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House