Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are in the market to buy a new mattress.

Our old mattress is 15 years old. When the salespeople hear this they make yucky faces. A local commercial advises that you should change your mattress every 8 years... All the sweat & dust etc., nasty nasty.

Okay we get it. Our mattress is overdue.

So why does the salesperson try to sell me on $3000 mattresses with 25 year warrantees? Tell me to "invest" in it because it will last longer, while you just got done telling me a mattress is a disgusting sponge of sweat and dust mites if it is over 8yrs...

(sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post

Our old mattress is 15 years old. When the salespeople hear this they make yucky faces. A local commercial advises that you should change your mattress every 8 years... All the sweat & dust etc., nasty nasty.

So why does the salesperson try to sell me on $3000 mattresses with 25 year warrantees? Tell me to "invest" in it because it will last longer, while you just got done telling me a mattress is a disgusting sponge of sweat and dust mites if it is over 8yrs...

(sigh)
When they say that stuff, call them on it - such as; "If a mattress should be replaced every eight years, why pay extra for a twenty-five year warranty ?

Our Mattress in about 5 years old and we have used a mattress pad since we got it and still looks new.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post

(sigh)
Salespeople are just trying to make money, like everybody else in this economy. So, take what they say with a grain of salt. I can see that you are already doing that!

You are obviously an intelligent person and can figure out when your mattress is no longer satisfactory. If it seems fine and you have no complaints with it, I'd wait a year or two and re-assess.

I came SO close to buying a $3600 mattress set earlier this year. Turned out that what I needed was not a new mattress, but a $59 metal bedframe since the old one was broken. I had no idea that the mattress support could matter as much as it did. Now I have a blissfully comfortable bed again, and $3541 in my pocket.

And no, the mattress salesman didn't help me to figure that out....

Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Sales people......in all businesses...are SALES people. They exist for one single purpose: to SELL things.

Ever ask someone in a store about a product feature or a quality issue? They read the label on the box, just like you have done. I find that annoying, and insulting. But typical.

Stockbrokers are sales people...they exist to sell things; not to make you money. Waiters, sadly, have morphed into sales people....'Drinks? An appetizer? Got room for desert?' And people in furniture/bedding stores don't give a hoot about whether you have a good night's rest....they care about putting ka-ching in their pockets.

So much for any 'advice' that a sales person might offer. Good suggestion above...treat their comments with a grain of salt and do what seems natural and comfortable (excuse the pun) to you.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM

136 posts, read 435,658 times
I think that the expected life of a mattress has been reduced lately. I seem to recall that it was 10 years a while back, now it's 8. Bunch of marketing BS, just like how many months salary you should spend on an engagement ring.

Hopefully you've also realized that there are huge markups on mattresses and that those special sales happen all the time.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
I went into a mattress store last week and it had a sign in front--35% to 50% off all mattresses except one. Okay. I asked then about the I Comfort and the sales lady said that is not on sale. I left.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
The Markup on Mattresses are EXTREMELY High, it really pays to shop around. I can't imagine paying 3 grand for a mattress. What kind of mattress where they trying to sell you for that price?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
A store tried to sell me an adjustable I Comfort with base for over $5K. I asked how much off for a floor model and was told 10%. I said "Only 10% off for a used floor model?" The sales gal said "If you are really serious, I can call the big boss." I said don't even bother. Next time I need to dress very poor before walking into a mattress store.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
The Markup on Mattresses are EXTREMELY High, it really pays to shop around. I can't imagine paying 3 grand for a mattress. What kind of mattress where they trying to sell you for that price?
A king sized Tempurpedic Rhapsody costs $3600. I forgot that the foundation for it is an additional $400. They are ridiculously expensive.

But to tell the truth, I am happy with my old Sealy conventional mattress, now that I have a better bed frame under it.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Gave up that game a while back, after getting a great night's sleep in a rented camper that had a foam mattress. Went to the local foam store, had a 7" medium density pad cut to the size of a king-sized mattress, covered it in a quilted mattress pad and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Flipping it is a breeze. Moving it was easy and didn't require three teamsters with trusses. And it cost a heck of a lot less. Y'all spend money on that stuff. It amuses me almost as much as people buying bottled tap water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House