Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times

Advertisements

Hiya All...

Hope this is the correct forum for this post. There really isn't a Clothing or Sewing forum & I didn't think Fashion was the place for it.

I received a gift of a wool, lined scali cap from a thrift store. It's great but... it's got that moldy-ish Salvation Army store smell I can't seem to lessen. I tried soaking it in dishwashing liquid & cool water, then shampoo & warmer water to no avail. The smell hasn't even lessened. I'm afraid to soak it too much lest it fall apart or shrink. I also haven't tried washing it in the washing machine... thought too much aggitation or hot water might be a bad idea.

Oh, I also misted it with plenty o' perfume & one day later... it's still got that knarly ol' musty smell. Not even a hint of my perfume. < Insert big frown & shoulder shrug emoticon > Any ideas? Was going to try vinegar & water next & soak for a few hours before I give up & leave it outside on the balcony to let the wind carry it away???

Thank you... Moldy in San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Some types of wool have a natural but unpleasant smell, and also are prone to mildew. Anyway, choose and try one of the following:
How to Get Smell Out of Wool | GetSmellOut.com

Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hiya All...

Hope this is the correct forum for this post. There really isn't a Clothing or Sewing forum & I didn't think Fashion was the place for it.

I received a gift of a wool, lined scali cap from a thrift store. It's great but... it's got that moldy-ish Salvation Army store smell I can't seem to lessen. I tried soaking it in dishwashing liquid & cool water, then shampoo & warmer water to no avail. The smell hasn't even lessened. I'm afraid to soak it too much lest it fall apart or shrink. I also haven't tried washing it in the washing machine... thought too much aggitation or hot water might be a bad idea.

Oh, I also misted it with plenty o' perfume & one day later... it's still got that knarly ol' musty smell. Not even a hint of my perfume. < Insert big frown & shoulder shrug emoticon > Any ideas? Was going to try vinegar & water next & soak for a few hours before I give up & leave it outside on the balcony to let the wind carry it away???

Thank you... Moldy in San Diego
Have you tried washing it in Woolite or another hand wash?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some types of wool have a natural but unpleasant smell, and also are prone to mildew. Anyway, choose and try one of the following:
How to Get Smell Out of Wool | GetSmellOut.com
Cool site, Rayin, thanks. I don't think it's mildew, but don't know how else to describe that smell. Anything I've ever gotten from a 2nd hand store has that smell, which normally disappears once washed. Perhaps the wool is hanging onto it, however.

I'll try the vinegar, then salt/lemon juice. I also bought a cheap $3 bottle of perfume at a local discount store. It's the most palatable of the imposter perfumes. After I wash it, I'll spray it everyday & put it onto the balcony... at this time of year, unfortunately, the sunshine hasn't yet hit my balcony, so the sunlight (which I think would be optimal) isn't an option just yet.

Thanks again. I'll report back.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Have you tried washing it in Woolite or another hand wash?
Only what I listed above. I stopped using Woolite years ago as a gallon of Sally's concentrated shampoo for $13-ish washes out handwashables just as well (& lasts well over 1-yr), makes clothing soft & leaves a nice, gentle smell to boot. I wash a lot of clothing by hand, most of it actually... any lingerie, sweaters, exercise gear, T's (they last forever this way), most skirts/dresses, so it's more economical, as well. I'm like an old prairie woman & sparks really do fly from my palms when I spend money...

Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
To totally kill mold in homes... you will most likely need abrasive commercial products that actually kill the mold & then keep the article "very very dry" = not a good option (expense & the abuse) for a woolen item from a thrift store.

Did you try to take it to a dry cleaner & see what they can do for you???
Maybe they can help.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
To totally kill mold in homes... you will most likely need abrasive commercial products that actually kill the mold & then keep the article "very very dry" = not a good option (expense & the abuse) for a woolen item from a thrift store.
Perhaps my wording was misleading. I'm not sure it is true mold... it's that Salvation Army 2nd hand clothing smell one notices in all thrift shops. Perhaps the remedy would be the same, but I'm not sure it's actual mold... it just smells moldy-ish, for lack of a better, actual word.

Quote:
Did you try to take it to a dry cleaner & see what they can do for you???
Good suggestion, although it wouldn't be worth the cost. Actually, I've had dry cleaners ruin lots of my clothing.... probably 20% I've ever sent to them. You can't believe the terror I have when I really need to use one. I do most of it at home with Dryel home dry cleaning kits, which are good for freshening clothing... not sure it would be useful in this situation with such a strong smell.

Well, today I'll soak the hat in vinegar for an hour. On the link Ray provided, it also suggested saturating it in lemon juice then using salt (I forget the instructions, but the link is very useful for all sorts of mishaps & odors)... that will be my 2nd try. I also happened passed a dingy but very cool, tiny discount store yesterday, stopped in for some 99-cent cleaning products & found a bar of Zote laundry soap in one of the far back isles. I don't know that I've ever seen that brand, but my mum used (& made her own) washing soap when I was but a wee lass & I recognize that smell. Perhaps after the vinegar soak, I'll give that a whirl & let it dry.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I wash everything wool in the washer (scarves, afghans, even cashmere sweaters etc) ...on cold water of course and the delicate cycle...also use plenty of softener....

but NO dryer, let dry outside, away from sun.

Could this help you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Perhaps my wording was misleading. I'm not sure it is true mold... it's that Salvation Army 2nd hand clothing smell one notices in all thrift shops. Perhaps the remedy would be the same, but I'm not sure it's actual mold... it just smells moldy-ish, for lack of a better, actual word.

Good suggestion, although it wouldn't be worth the cost. Actually, I've had dry cleaners ruin lots of my clothing.... probably 20% I've ever sent to them. You can't believe the terror I have when I really need to use one. I do most of it at home with Dryel home dry cleaning kits, which are good for freshening clothing... not sure it would be useful in this situation with such a strong smell.

Well, today I'll soak the hat in vinegar for an hour. On the link Ray provided, it also suggested saturating it in lemon juice then using salt (I forget the instructions, but the link is very useful for all sorts of mishaps & odors)... that will be my 2nd try. I also happened passed a dingy but very cool, tiny discount store yesterday, stopped in for some 99-cent cleaning products & found a bar of Zote laundry soap in one of the far back isles. I don't know that I've ever seen that brand, but my mum used (& made her own) washing soap when I was but a wee lass & I recognize that smell. Perhaps after the vinegar soak, I'll give that a whirl & let it dry.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I wash everything wool in the washer (scarves, afghans, even cashmere sweaters etc) ...on cold water of course and the delicate cycle...also use plenty of softener....

but NO dryer, let dry outside, away from sun.

Could this help you??
Sure could, GBH, thanks. I'm not as daring to add all you do to an aggitating washer, even if they're protected in small mesh bags first... you're bravely awesome... but I do wash many 'dry clean only' garments by hand & have rarely had a problem. Adding softener, even to handwashables, is a great tip... I never use it, but it would certainly help in many situations.

I also don't have an outdoor place in which to dry clothing... a small windy balcony but no hooks, lines, etc. A small wooden rack (the ones my mum used many years ago) just might blow over, but I could use one indoors. I'll keep an eye out for one in my travels.

I'm soaking the hat now in vinegar, then will wash it in the hand soap (I live in a flat at the moment & have a communal w/d, so I'll toss it in the next time I have laundry)... will report back.

Thanks again...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
In case washing the hat doesn't work . . . any time you have an item with a musty smell, put the item in a bag and completely cover it with kitty litter. Make sure the bag is air tight. Leave it in the bag for at least 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House