Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM

316 posts, read 849,565 times

Advertisements

A retired neighbor got a leaf blower a few months ago. It is used every day - with rare exceptions - sometimes for hours. The neighbor blows the front yard, the back yard, the garage, the gutters, the shingles, the cars in the driveway, the neighbor's yard, etc. I hoped that the novelty would wear off but it seems like it has turned into an obsession.

I work from home. The noise is loud, high-pitched, and unavoidable. I've tried running the A/C fan and the ceiling fan while wearing earphones and playing music while moving to different rooms of the house. I'm also sometimes on the phone when I can't block noise.

This neighbor is sensitive to criticism. It doesn't appear that the city or the neighborhood association have any restrictions on noise other than 10PM-6AM. Any ideas on how to deal with this would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Bose noise cancelling headphones.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
The standard for noise pollution is primarily local which can be more restrictive than the EPA standard.
That standard is measured in decibels. Noise exceeding the standards cannot invade your property. This becomes especially true when the noise level is sustained.
Contact the neighbor first( take a witness); you will be asked if you have done so if you file a formal complaint. Being sensitive does not always mean non-responsive, give it a try. If you do not wish to contact the neighbor, then be prepared to explain that to the city; they will probably understand.
Filing a complaint in this case may be where you go. The city cannot ignore the EPA standards and may have to use them anyway if/when they investigate the complaint. This is a fairly established issue that the city should have some ability and policies to help you with! I can't believe they don't have any policy regarding sustained, elevated noise levels;even if they don't, the standards do exist and will help you prevail when you have an expert document them!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Remember how they forced Noriega to give up?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Your neighbor might be sensitive to criticism- but your sensitive to the noise; and that isn't criticism. Tell you neighbor it's annoying and could he limit it's use- everyday is excessive by any one's standard.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Tell you neighbor it's annoying and could he limit it's use- everyday is excessive by any one's standard.
I'd suggest asking instead of telling.... he might be more sympathetic if not commanded.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM

32 posts, read 127,414 times
how bout blasting slayer on the radio in your back yard at 9PM??? im not sure if theirs anything you can do honestly.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
I would first make sure that your neighbor does not have a hearing impairment. Somewhat oblivious to the thing. That could be awkward.

Sounds like your neighbor however has a new-found purpose. Something to do with too-much time on his hands.
Ideally if this could be replaced with something more meaningful... ?

Other than that, you might try to get him to initiate the conversation. Something that makes him think about things in his own way.

Next time this happens, lets just say that, sychronicty by chance has somehow managed to arrange it -- that you have edged (by hand) your drive, or have new grass clippings from mowing your lawn and are quite vigorously brooming it by hand right now. Something this proud person should take note of. Perhaps you are even closer to him than you naturally would be, or feel comfortable with, somewhere near your shared border. Not too close and not to far for what's next.

Then, when Gust can no longer contain his pride, verbally or by gesture, to suggest that you should consider getting one of these marvels he happens to be wielding - and this would be a great time to send him a polite signal for a lowering of the sound gesture, so you can actually hear his voice, or interpret back to him, you could then, relate " I would, but it can't" And while he's trying to figure this one out, pondering over how such a phenomenal breakthrough could ever have any drawback whatsoever, following through the thick pause "it doesn't set well with my hearing..."

Of course on the downside this could forever bind you with a long term sentence served with the broom. Unless that is, you find a quieter blower.

Last edited by fleck; 05-04-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
A retired neighbor got a leaf blower a few months ago. It is used every day - with rare exceptions - sometimes for hours. The neighbor blows the front yard, the back yard, the garage, the gutters, the shingles, the cars in the driveway, the neighbor's yard, etc. I hoped that the novelty would wear off but it seems like it has turned into an obsession.

I work from home. The noise is loud, high-pitched, and unavoidable. I've tried running the A/C fan and the ceiling fan while wearing earphones and playing music while moving to different rooms of the house. I'm also sometimes on the phone when I can't block noise.

This neighbor is sensitive to criticism. It doesn't appear that the city or the neighborhood association have any restrictions on noise other than 10PM-6AM. Any ideas on how to deal with this would be appreciated.
I feel for you - that would drive me nuts!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I'd be careful about this one. I had a neighbor exactly like that. He'd come home from work about 3:30pm and without changing his nice clothes, would grab the leaf blower and walk around for a couple of hours. Drove one of my dogs nuts. It got so she would sit and stare at his house right about 3:30, waiting for him. I think the guy used the leaf blower to "blow off steam" from being a university professor. The sound maybe put him in the 'zone' rather like those buddist monks humming "Oooommmmm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House