Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The light just doesn't look good. It feels like being in a hospital room.
It's not perfect but I find the warmest color temp ones are not appreciably different than a typical soft-white incandescent. I don't use them bare; they're always behind a shade of some sort. Gone are the days where you have to settle for only the cool pure white bordering on blue. Heck, for an example of this, just compare the warmer lighting in Target to the cooler lighting in Walmart.

Quote:
And they take longer to warm up in cold weather. I really hope LEDs does better in these areas.
I only notice an issue when they're actually out in the cold. In the garage I have typical 4-foot tubes. If it gets cold enough in there, they don't start right at all. But it has to get pretty cold out before it gets that cold in there. In the house I've never noticed such an effect, down to about 65 degrees which is about as cold as it gets in here.

Quote:
What if you decide to move? Do you leave the CFLs in the sockets or replace them with incans?
I'd care about this with the current price of LEDs. With the CFLs at a few bucks, I doubt I would bother changing them out of the permanent fixtures. If I was renting and moving often, maybe I would have to reconsider.

Quote:
Have you factored in the cost of disposal? Or the cost of the CFLs being made overseas and the toll that takes on the economy?
Do you do this with everything you buy? If so, that's great, and I agree that we should pay more attention to this. If not, then bringing it up here does not make any useful point.

Even so, in the case of manufacturing, the incandescents are also made overseas. In the case of disposal, it now seems to be included in the cost I've already paid (I can take the bulbs back to HD or Lowe's, no big cost unless I'm making a special trip). Are you meaning to study the complete environmental difference as well? Certainly we should put that into play if the economic differences are in play.

My reference above, as you probably know, was to my personal out of pocket cost, the simple pocketbook bit. If you want to talk "greater good"-type costs it might come out differently, but it's no good without considering all aspects of the greater good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Heck, for an example of this, just compare the warmer lighting in Target to the cooler lighting in Walmart.
Wow! I never consciously noticed the lighting difference, however, I have noticed for a long time that I felt happier and at more at ease in Target than Walmart. Now I want to go shopping to compare the two stores. Very interesting.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Wow! I never consciously noticed the lighting difference, however, I have noticed for a long time that I felt happier and at more at ease in Target than Walmart. Now I want to go shopping to compare the two stores. Very interesting.
I'm guessing it must cost a little more per tube or something to get the warmer white, which on this kind of scale would add up to who knows how many thousands (millions? Doubt it but maybe) per year, because the alternative is that the vast majority of people designing big box stores have overlooked this detail. I have not ruled that latter possibility out though. It's been a while for a recent sampling for me at Walmart; always possible that they could change something. (I believe another direct atmospheric difference you'll notice is sound; Target has no overhead announcement and no music.) But it doesn't need to be Walmart. Just pick about any large box store and it's the same cool whites they've been using for decades. I think maybe B&N may have warmer lights, although the atmosphere in there may come more from the carpet and other surfaces. Above a certain size they may have little choice. In most warehouses like HD/Lowe's/Costco/whatever they are using a different fixture altogether which possibly limits the color choices, not sure. But most stores using tubes still seem to use cool ones when clearly they don't have to.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
I truly hate CFL's with a passion. They trigger headaches for me. Yuck. The bare ones are the worst. I will be sticking with the incandescents.

Even if they didn't trigger headaches I sure wouldn't want them in my house. The flicking and the buzzing drives me nuts.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 14,504 times
You have to buy good quality CFLs, don't go to Dollar Store or Convenient Store, that's a crack, I also have such experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House