U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

5,222 posts, read 7,556,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the guy at the paint store said regal is just paint, aura is paint + primer.
Sounds like the sales guy might have been mistaken. Here is a clip right from the Ben. Moore website.

"Regal® Waterborne Select Interior Paint
Regal Select offers the premium performance and smooth application you've come to expect from our classic paint, with the added benefits of cutting-edge new technologies. Thanks to our proprietary waterborne resins and zero VOC colorants, Regal Select is both a paint and primer in one advanced formula."

I actually painted a dark maroon wall with BM Wheeling (a beige). It covered in almost one coat. I just had to touch up the corners.

Here is a clip from Ben. Moore website about the Aura brand

"Aura® Waterborne Interior Paint
Aura is quite simply the finest paint we've ever made, offering the most advanced way to bring color to life. Using our exclusive Color Lock(r) technology Aura paint brings you discernibly rich, truer color. Aura paint covers like no other, with even the deepest shades never requiring more than two coats."

Interesting it doesn't mention the primer built in but I'm sure it does. Either way, Im more of a Regal fan than Aura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

11,674 posts, read 8,437,349 times
All the more reason to get Regal, I guess!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM

11,674 posts, read 8,437,349 times
I just checked the site...Regal comes in paint OR primer. Regal Select is Paint and Primer. Aura is Paint and Primer.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I just checked the site...Regal comes in paint OR primer. Regal Select is Paint and Primer. Aura is Paint and Primer.
Ahh mystery solved. I have a few paint cans left over. All of mine are Regal Select. I had to look. lol. I don't know if the ACE by me even sells just Regal. I go there or the Ben. Moore store in my area.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,390,536 times
When I bought paint last spring from a paint store, Regal Select just came out and was $1 more than Regal, they were saying that they were basically transitioning over to Regal Select, I'm surprised it is still out there.

Either or, I have Aura on most of my walls, with regal and Regal select on the trim. I've heard people complain that Aura is harder to work with, but from richness in color aspect, I think it has a bit more demension than some other "standard" paint. If i remember consumer reports actually reports on the amount of solids in the paint that create the color and Aura has significnatly more than some others.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've painted and researched painting, I think anyone who tells you that almost all paint is the same hasn't done the job. Some are much better at coverage, easier to work with, and produce better colors. Half the job is the prep work, but the right paint makes the rest both easier and better. IMHO Behr is/was crap

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
When I bought paint last spring from a paint store, Regal Select just came out and was $1 more than Regal, they were saying that they were basically transitioning over to Regal Select, I'm surprised it is still out there.

Either or, I have Aura on most of my walls, with regal and Regal select on the trim. I've heard people complain that Aura is harder to work with, but from richness in color aspect, I think it has a bit more demension than some other "standard" paint. If i remember consumer reports actually reports on the amount of solids in the paint that create the color and Aura has significnatly more than some others.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've painted and researched painting, I think anyone who tells you that almost all paint is the same hasn't done the job. Some are much better at coverage, easier to work with, and produce better colors. Half the job is the prep work, but the right paint makes the rest both easier and better. IMHO Behr is/was crap
^^^ Don't get me started on Behr paint. My SIL is a huge fan. I have tried Behr twice and both times it was a disaster. When I was younger and more concerned about cost I tried every type of paint out there. Some worked better than others but over the years I gained some wisdom that cheap paint isn't worth it. I did however stray a couple of years ago and tried Sherwin Williams. I have a store about a 1/2 mile away. I wasn't that happy with the paint and immediately regretting not using my tried and true BM paint. For one, the employee at the store made a mistake and mixed flat instead of satin. Ugh. I got half the room done when I realized the problem. The whole time I am thinking something seemed off. So I called up SW and they refunded my money which was nice but now I have a room that needs to be repainted again. Flat paint in a teenagers room is not a good thing. I'm done experimenting.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,149 times
Default the real answer

Quote:
seems to be the Aura is just the paint + primer mix...and of course they say it's got proprietary technology that helps it bond better. I think i'll stick to the regal.

explains why it covers better also. Since we're working on bare sheet rock, primer is going on, then paint, so no reason to use the paint + primer really
seems like nobody gave you any help at all.
regal wall satin is classic regal flat, misnomer completely.
aura is tricky, but the color retention, dirt resistance ,and wash-ability are superior to most products whether the matte , eggshell, satin, or semi. also, leveling, low voc, almost no odor during painting, certainly minimal afterward.
the regal select is in fact listed as paint and primer in one, also a misnomer. it has primer qualities that make it self priming. this is my favorite bm product, the coverage is spectacular, the price is right, and it is not as tricky as aura. stay with bm.

17 years in the paint industry, both learned and applied knowledge.
any more questions i will reply.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:43 PM

825 posts, read 291,480 times
The Brits are very fussy about paints , best paint has always been Dulux brand, not sure if its available in the US , visiting my cousin in England few years back I admired his newly painted garage door, he said its Bus Paint , same paint they use to paint the buses, I assumed it was newly painted but it had been done Ten years before , I looked great.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,321 times
I spent two days painting a hallway that had off white paint on it, with Behr's Premium Plus Ultra. It took two days, three coats and 2 1/2 gallons and there are still places that are not covered. I bought five gallons to also do the living room, but there is no way, I am going to spend the better part of a week, putting 3+ coats on an 18X24 room. The walls show every roller stroke and hand painting the door trim (six) takes forever when three coats don't cover the off white. If you want to save yourself a lot of time and $$$, don't buy Behr.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 3,752,522 times
We did the 1st and 2nd floors with Aura and the finished basement with Regal. Same type of sheetrock, but there was a huge difference in ease of application and how many coats it took (even with primer under the Regal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House