U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,499,385 times
Default Induction and gas combo - the ultimate cooktop?

I was thinking, induction cooktops seem to be gaining popularity, although many people still prefer gas.

I was thinking, would a cooktop with both induction surfaces and gas burners be considered the ultimate cooktop? I know two companies that produce them: Highland and De Dietrich, but unfortunately they are not sold in the United States.

With many newer homes featuring hookups for both electric and gas ranges or cooktops, this would actually be something that would be easy to implement. Dual fuel ranges (with gas cooktop and electric oven) already use both hookups, and the same can be done for an induction and gas combination cooktop or range (where the range would have both induction surfaces and gas burners on top, and an electric oven).

What does anyone here think about this idea?

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 05-27-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM

17,081 posts, read 20,967,993 times
What? No more polls?

There's an expression out there: "Now you're cooking with fire!"
Open flame is the goal. Gas does that very nicely.
If you have gas in the house... have a gas range top.

Ovens are another matter... as electric ovens produce a more even heat.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What? No more polls?

There's an expression out there: "Now you're cooking with fire!"
Open flame is the goal. Gas does that very nicely.
If you have gas in the house... have a gas range top.

Ovens are another matter... as electric ovens produce a more even heat.
The performance of induction is very comparable to gas, and is very efficient. The main disadvantages are high price and the fact that you must use magnetic cookware (typically cast iron and most stainless steel; aluminum, copper, glass, and ceramic will not work). A combination would give the best of both worlds.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM

843 posts, read 1,015,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
The performance of induction is very comparable to gas, and is very efficient. The main disadvantages are high price and the fact that you must use magnetic cookware (typically cast iron and most stainless steel; aluminum, copper, glass, and ceramic will not work). A combination would give the best of both worlds.
My first thought was why in the world would you want both? But your comment about the cookware is a valid one.
Induction is actually more responsive than gas, I think most that swear by gas have never used induction. And they are coming down in price. We are planning on running a gas line in our new home, but it won't be hooked up. Going with induction only.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
My first thought was why in the world would you want both? But your comment about the cookware is a valid one.
Induction is actually more responsive than gas, I think most that swear by gas have never used induction. And they are coming down in price. We are planning on running a gas line in our new home, but it won't be hooked up. Going with induction only.
There are some cooktops that have both induction and electric radiant surfaces. However, I would think there would be some people who would like an induction/gas combo cooktop.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM

21,440 posts, read 34,547,137 times
I have used the Wolf induction cooktop in their sponsored demo kitchen/ showroom near me and it can really ROCK for all kinds of things -- fast boiling, good stir fry / saute performance, responsive low simmer. Downsides -- cookware is not much of downside, as pretty much ALL quality brands of cookware work very well except copper w/o magnetic element (All-Clad, Demeyere, LeCreuset, Lodge, deBuyer ...), cost is a bit more, but still in the "zone" for higher end buyers, adjustment period -- it takes a while to get used to NO visible sign of heat -- folks with kids really seem to rely on that, even though lack of residual heat in the cooktop tends to make this a non-issue...,

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

910 posts, read 690,302 times
Love the induction concept but my husband, a frustrated chef, would not be able to char his red peppers. This would be the best of both worlds.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 AM

19,523 posts, read 7,751,377 times
Wolf sells integrated modules. Cooktop | Cooktops | Sub-Zero & Wolf Appliances I have considered renovating the kitchen and would do an induction, gas and a wok (and secretly wants a deep fryer too).

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 14,668 times
Default I found one

I too have been looking for a gas/induction cooktop. I agree that it would be the best of both worlds.

In addition to the already mentioned Wolf modular system, Bertazzoni makes one, model PM36 3 I0X

36 3-burner Segmented Cooktop, 2 Induction | Bertazzoni

I don't know anything about the brand. Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 AM

7,226 posts, read 8,116,081 times
I'd definitely be interested in something like that. We currently have induction, but I think that combo would be the best of both worlds. I was hoping they would have something along those lines by the time we do kitchen addition/remodel.

My only complaint about my induction unit is that it can be difficult to use certain shape pans (square) because if the actual pan overlaps the induction area, you get uneven cooking/heating despite heat transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House