U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,369,016 times
for the same reason they brag about the "low maintenance" vinyl siding and oh... those fabulous Pergo floors!

Not that there's anything wrong with using the least expensive materials available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,868,739 times
De gustibus non est disputandum.

I would not have wooden frame windows on a bet. Painting, swelling, sticking, air leaks, etc.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 PM

25,290 posts, read 16,196,552 times
I have to admit I hated the white vinyl window look with a passion when it first started. It's what most double pane windows are and there isn't much choice there. I had dark dark aluminum frames at the time and I was used to and liked the look. Unfortunately when I later bought a house and had to update it the white vinyl windows were the only realistic way to go. I just rethought the whole thing, embraced white trim on my house, and went with it. Now I don't even notice.

Sometimes it's just the change that is jarring.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM

220 posts, read 345,466 times
I have white vinyl windows in my 130 year old Colonial (installed by the seller). The outside of the house is blue with white trim. It looks fine.

Then again, I also had Pergo XP installed in most of the rooms when we moved in--quelle horreur! I'm clearly a sad excuse of a person with no morals to speak of.

I grew up in a Victorian that still had the original wooden windows. My parents couldn't afford to have them updated or replaced. The windows shrank in winter, letting drafts in, and swelled in summer, making them difficult to put up and down. During storms they rattled like the dickens. The ropes would break and need to be fixed. If you didn't fix the ropes right the window would eventually fall on your head or hands when you attempted to open or close it. 100 year old glass is heavy, I can tell you from head bonking experience. If it rained hard enough the frames would get wet on the inside and woe betide you should you attempt to raise or lower a wet wooden window frame. Splinters, anyone?

I will say this--nothing broke those suckers. Not birds nor branches nor rocks nor hurricanes could penetrate the windows of our crumbling Victorian fortress. The entire house was just about falling apart except for the century-old glass of the windows!

Last edited by A Nonny Mouse; 06-02-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,236,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Should I take into consideration the aesthetic preferences of a stranger who, as an ethical egoist, touts the absolute right of the individual, or put in what I want?
Hahaha! That was a good one. Touche.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM

1,173 posts, read 728,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
What is up with everyone putting in white vinyl windows? To me they look cheap and ugly about 99% of the time, like the outdoor equivalent of laminate floors. I'd rather have wood but, even if you do put in vinyl, why don't people match the color to the house? Is it because white ones are the cheapest?

I've been looking at houses and the sellers love to brag about the "new vinyl windows". All I can think about is how much it will cost to tear them out. Why not shell out a little more money for something that affects the look of the entire house?

Why I choose vinyl over wood??? I live in cold country winters are very harsh don't want be repainting or restraining every couple of years like I did in the past with wood....I have better things to do with my time, plus vinyl does not crack need calking come ever spring, plus easier to clean keep clean...Why white?? If I want switch out house color a lot more choices in paint colors etc...I say you need to build...Otherwise you may never find what your looking for!...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,236,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
I have white vinyl windows in my 130 year old Colonial (installed by the seller). The outside of the house is blue with white trim. It looks fine.

Then again, I also had Pergo XP installed in most of the rooms when we moved in--quelle horreur! I'm clearly a sad excuse of a person with no morals to speak of.

I grew up in a Victorian that still had the original wooden windows. My parents couldn't afford to have them updated or replaced. The windows shrank in winter, letting drafts in, and swelled in summer, making them difficult to put up and down. During storms they rattled like the dickens. The ropes would break and need to be fixed. If you didn't fix the ropes right the window would eventually fall on your head or hands when you attempted to open or close it. 100 year old glass is heavy, I can tell you from head bonking experience. If it rained hard enough the frames would get wet on the inside and woe betide you should you attempt to raise or lower a wet wooden window frame. Splinters, anyone?

I will say this--nothing broke those suckers. Not birds nor branches nor rocks nor hurricanes could penetrate the windows of our crumbling Victorian fortress. The entire house was just about falling apart except for the century-old glass of the windows!
It sound like you grew up in a pretty cool house ....maybe cold in the winter, but definitely "cool" all of the time.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM

220 posts, read 345,466 times
Quote:
It sound like you grew up in a pretty cool house ....maybe cold in the winter, but definitely "cool" all of the time.
It was a cool house... spooky, but cool. The people who bought it after my father passed away restored it, and it looks lovely now. I brought my kids by there on a recent visit to my hometown (a few hours from here), but no one was home so we couldn't ask to look inside. I'd love to see what they did with the interior.

(Note lack of giant holes in roof or crumbling front stoop. Bwaaah.)

Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 PM

11,200 posts, read 6,058,845 times
Quote:
What is up with everyone putting in white vinyl windows? To me they look cheap and ugly about 99% of the time, like the outdoor equivalent of laminate floors. I'd rather have wood but, even if you do put in vinyl, why don't people match the color to the house? Is it because white ones are the cheapest?

I've been looking at houses and the sellers love to brag about the "new vinyl windows". All I can think about is how much it will cost to tear them out. Why not shell out a little more money for something that affects the look of the entire house?
If you match the color of vinyl windows with the color of the exterior then you have that color on the inside. This would greatly limit the choice of pallette available should you want a change of color inside.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:19 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
My parents just got the white vinyl windows on thier home, I think they are ugly. But they got them for the maintenance reasons, as they are old, and at this point in life, do not care.

I have the bronze double hung here in the apartment, I like the look of them ESPECIALLY from the inside. The bronze on the inside matches my decor color scheme, as most of our windows have plants hanging in front of them, thus no curtains.

I would absolutely hate with a passion having to look at white windows and frames in my apartment. To me they would stick out like a sore them and look totally out of place with the colors I have.

Plus on the outside they look really nice with the reddish bricks. Most of the Brownstones and apartment buildings here in Brooklyn NY have the bronze windows.

So while I agree with op's statements about white matching, in a lot of instances white does not match everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House