U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
Default Replacing kitchen faucet, bolts are stuck-tips?

We are trying to replace our kitchen faucet and the bolts are rusted and they will not budge. Any tips for getting them off. There is very little room to work which isn't helping the situation. The faucet is a basic single handle Delta with a 3 hole installation (2 for the bolt/screws, 1 for the faucet/pipes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 9,667,683 times
Depending on the type on nut that is holding it on. If its a standard nut (maybe 9/16") then a deep socket on a ratchet (with extensions) may be enough to get it off. You could spray a little WD40 on it the loosen the rust prior to putting a wrench to it.
The other tool to try is a basin wrench. They will extend down so you can get better leverage.
Good luck.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM

16,344 posts, read 18,905,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is very little room to work which isn't helping the situation.
Often... there is so little room there that when the faucet was installed onto that sink
it gets done BEFORE the sink is set into the top.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 AM

20,734 posts, read 32,507,164 times
I have had to use a chisel to cut off the retaining nut. They are typically thin soft metal and are designed to be easily cut away. The "power chisel" type devices that you can rent from the better tool places make this job a little easier, but you can also use a long standard chisel and an appropriate hammer OR one of those "slide hammer" type chisels. If you have a very thin SS sink you may end denting it and this would be a good excuse to get a new (better) sink. Cast iron sinks ought to survive all but "super he man" chisel work...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 18,881,290 times
As Mr. R lamented to-

If it's a drop-in sink, disconnect the supplies and the drain then remove the whole sink. That will give you plenty of room and leverage to remove old faucet. This will also allow you to re-seal the sink to the counter top.
Also, when you install the new faucet load the base with plumber's putty- that will seal the base to the sink and prevent the problem you have now.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Depending on the type on nut that is holding it on. If its a standard nut (maybe 9/16") then a deep socket on a ratchet (with extensions) may be enough to get it off. You could spray a little WD40 on it the loosen the rust prior to putting a wrench to it.
The other tool to try is a basin wrench. They will extend down so you can get better leverage.
Good luck.
We tried the basin wrench with no luck. We did spray some WD40 on it but maybe try some more. I'm guessing it's a 9/16" so we will try the socket wrench next.

I really don't want to take out the entire sink if we don't have to. There was plumbers putty around the base of the faucet at one time but it's 17 years old and leaks so it needs to be replaced.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
Soak it iwth PB blaster. Wait 15 -20 minutes, soak it again.

If none of the tips so far work, get a swazall or if it is too tight, a dremel.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM

20,734 posts, read 32,507,164 times
I might try an "oscilating multifunction tool" (aka Fein MultiMaster) but a Sawzall under a sink sounds like a recipe for either a trip to the emergancy room or at least video for "America's Funniest Home Remodeling Disasters"...

The cold chisel trick is something that I have done safely, but if you don't have a nice sized ball pein hammer and some practice swinging it in confined quarters (or forearms like Popeye) it will take a long time to do it without damage to your counter's underside or your opposite hand.

I love my MultiMaster and with the right blades it will slice away any stubborn plumbing bolts! http://www.amazon.com/Versa-Tool-8-I...f=pd_sim_hi_15

Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
BTW: PB Blaster works 1000 times better than WD-40. I did nto believe it when people on CD told me about it, then I tried it. No more WD-40 for me.

A sawzall woudl probably have to be used form the top. Tape the sinke with a couple of layers of duct tape to protect he surface and then carefully cut the top off the faucet. If you are lucky the bottom part sill drop out. If unlucky, you cna buy a new sink.

Dremel maes a flexible cable extension. Put a 3/4 " cut off wheel on the end of it and you can get it in almost anywhere. There are smaller cutting tips for the dremel, but the cut off wheel is very fast if you can get it in there. yu may have to rpelace the wheel a couple of times.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM

We will have to try the PB blaster. I'll have to stop by the hardware store and get some though. Hopefully this will be all it takes.

The problem is, hubby cut off the sprayer for the detached spray hose thing, so.....we can't use the faucet right now at all. We are installing a pull out sprayer faucet.

I don't know that you could get a hammer into the space to pound with a chisel. We do have a Dremel so that might be what has to happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House