Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times

Advertisements

Both of my children have exteemely sensitive skin, as do I. So, I always do our wash with the ALL free detergents and fabric softeners, no dyes or perfumes.
The problem is, I feel like our laundry is never really "fresh" smelling.
I do use a scented dryer sheet but it doesn't seem to do it.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dye/perfume free detergents that have a slight scent to them?

Thanks !

** on a side note, I have read that towels should not be washed with fabric softeners? I have tried both ways and not sure I notice a huge difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Dryer sheets are not great for your laundry.
You might try one of the phosphate free laundry detergents like Ariel or Persil. Very delicate to fabrics and skin. Great fresh smell...

Fabric softeners ( liquids or sheets ) give clothing a chemical coating that stops their real surfaces from touching, thereby preventing static cling. It builds up over time and reduce the absorbency of fabrics.
The towels become less absorbent, and you will start to sweat in your clothes.
They are NOT good for your family, especially for your children. Fabric softeners are among the most toxic product designed for daily household use. Some ingredients are listed on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Hazardous Waste list. Some substances are carcinogenic (cancer-causing) and some can cause disorders of the central nervous system. Other ingredients can cause headaches, respiratory problems and skin irritation.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I've always had sensitive skin issues, and have had good luck with Tide with bleach alternative. Tide in general works better than anything else we've tried, which is kind of a bummer because it's also a petty expensive detergent.

The reason people say not to use dryer sheets or fabric softener with towels is, IIRC, that they can cause towels to lose absorbency over time quicker than towels that aren't regularly exposed to fabric softener.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Both of my children have exteemely sensitive skin, as do I. So, I always do our wash with the ALL free detergents and fabric softeners, no dyes or perfumes.
The problem is, I feel like our laundry is never really "fresh" smelling.
I do use a scented dryer sheet but it doesn't seem to do it.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dye/perfume free detergents that have a slight scent to them?

Thanks !

** on a side note, I have read that towels should not be washed with fabric softeners? I have tried both ways and not sure I notice a huge difference...
Well you said in your post that you use no dyes or perfumes yet you also said you use a scented dryer sheets.

The scent is partly what is annoying those allergies and sensitive skin for your kids. When I was younger and got a nose bleed every time I put soap on my face I thought something was wrong with me. Then the Doctor told me Ivory soap is the very very worst thing anyone can put on their skin whether they have allergies or not.

From that point on I searched out NON soap bars. There are only a few but I found only one works. The Aveeno bars. They are classified as NON soap cleansing bar. The best benefit of all aside from better health is you never ever have to clean your tub because there is no soap scum to clean up. Imagine that!!!!!. I kid you not.

For laundry soap the only one readily available in grocery stores is Arm & Hammer. There are a couple more brands available in Whole Foods for much more money too. This is the safest laundry soap for anyone, kids or adults with any allergies or skin sensitivities.

Get the perfumes out of your home. Nothing smells better then fresh laundry done with Arm & Hammer with no odors or smells to trick you into thinking your cloths are clean. Your kids will be happier too.

Oh yea and the most dangerous thing you can ever put on your cloths is bleach. I know I know many swear by it but it is more acidic then battery acid so stay away. Some one argued with me once on this but who cares.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dryer sheets are not great for your laundry.
You might try one of the phosphate free laundry detergents like Ariel or Persil. Very delicate to fabrics and skin. Great fresh smell...

Fabric softeners ( liquids or sheets ) give clothing a chemical coating that stops their real surfaces from touching, thereby preventing static cling. It builds up over time and reduce the absorbency of fabrics.
The towels become less absorbent, and you will start to sweat in your clothes.

They are NOT good for your family, especially for your children. Fabric softeners are among the most toxic product designed for daily household use. Some ingredients are listed on the Environmental Protection Agency’s Hazardous Waste list. Some substances are carcinogenic (cancer-causing) and some can cause disorders of the central nervous system. Other ingredients can cause headaches, respiratory problems and skin irritation.
That's interesting, I never heard that before. Never even really thought about it. I don't use dryer sheets anyway but now I know I never will. I have used towels before that seemed to not soak up the wet and I guess this is why.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
For laundry soap the only one readily available in grocery stores is Arm & Hammer. There are a couple more brands available in Whole Foods for much more money too. This is the safest laundry soap for anyone, kids or adults with any allergies or skin sensitivities.

Get the perfumes out of your home. Nothing smells better then fresh laundry done with Arm & Hammer with no odors or smells to trick you into thinking your cloths are clean. Your kids will be happier too.
Another vote for A&H.
Been using it exclusively for close to 30 years.
It's also one of the LEAST expensive detergents too.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
^^^ desertsun41 Yeah, I did made this mistake, once, and never again. The towels were useless - not absorbing water at all...
You are right with the soaps, bleach and the perfumes added. Dangerous chemicals!

New findings on Tide: http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...-in-detergent/

Last edited by elnina; 06-05-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
I make my own dry laundry detergent. Its made with Borax and Washing Soda, and bar soap. I use a mixture of Ivory and Fels Naptha, but you can use about any soap you want. Pick one that has a scent you like.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I have horrible allergies and cannot wear perfume or anything with perfume in it. Dryer sheets - well those drive my allergies crazy - I would never ever use those things.

What I can use are products with essential oils in them - they don't bother my allergies at all. You can buy essential oil sprays and give your laundry and light spray when it comes out of the dryer or maybe before it goes into the dryer. I like peppermint and lavender. You can buy Aromatherapy Bed Linen Spray and I think there are recipes for it on the internet.

I use Dr. Bronner's castile soap liquid in either peppermint or lavender (essential oil - no perfume) - I use it for bath soap, to wash my hair, etc. - wonderful, pure product that does not bother my sensitive skin or other allergies. I can buy the peppermint at Trader Joes and they have the best price too - $9.99 for a huge bottle.

The other thing - don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but hanging your laundry outside to dry - well, there is nothing that makes your laundry smell fresher....we can't have clotheslines where we live or I would do that for sheets and towels.

Whatever you do, do use any detergent with perfume in it - regardless of how "fresh" it smells.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The scent is partly what is annoying those allergies and sensitive skin for your kids. When I was younger and got a nose bleed every time I put soap on my face I thought something was wrong with me. Then the Doctor told me Ivory soap is the very very worst thing anyone can put on their skin whether they have allergies or not.
Ivory soap is wicked! My mom bought it when I was a child and my face turned beet red. It hurt really bad too much like a sunburn. The Dr. said it was a chemical burn and to never use Ivory. Years later my husband and I went on a vacation and stayed at a cheap hotel. I used the soap and sure enough my face felt burned. I peeled off the hotel label and underneath it was indeed Ivory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House