Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

So I realize most of the cost in painting a house is the labor. That said, its a house that is single story and mostly brick. I need 5 gallons. Notice someone advertising a sealed 5 gallon bucket of mid grade exterior Sherwin Williams left over from a job for $25. To get it I would have a 40 mile round trip driving. Or I can just go to my local Lowes and get a 5 gallon bucket of Duramax for about $150 plus 8.25% tax...WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Let's say you get 20 MPG, and gas is $3.50 a gallon (why does this sound like a elementary school arithmetic "story problem"??) you're going to pay $7.00 to go get the Craig's list stuff. Plus the "cost" of your time.

I'd go get the CL stuff, but then again, I'm retired and have plenty of time. YMMV

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Just so you know ... if you have a bit of time (don't have to paint TOMORROW!) ... and you aren't super fussy about colors..

Check your local lowes/HD/Sears for their "oops" paint.

I buy most of my paint that way. I've gotten 5 gallon (exterior) for $20 to $40 depending on who's marking it down.

1 gallon cans (interior usually, but sometimes exterior) are usually about $5.

Most places with a paint mixing area will keep and sell their "oops" ... probably even WalMart.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So I realize most of the cost in painting a house is the labor. That said, its a house that is single story and mostly brick. I need 5 gallons. Notice someone advertising a sealed 5 gallon bucket of mid grade exterior Sherwin Williams left over from a job for $25. To get it I would have a 40 mile round trip driving. Or I can just go to my local Lowes and get a 5 gallon bucket of Duramax for about $150 plus 8.25% tax...WWYD?
sometimes if you tell your local paint store you're doing it yourself, they give you contractor's pricing.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Just be careful of the age of the paint. I have some new containers of paint that I've brought with us from our last house in the relocation (8 years ago). They have been in my garage, the shed, etc. all because I had the good intention of using the paint in my new house, but it never happened. Now I figure that it just can't be much good after all these years and climate changes with the seasons. I haven't found a way to dispose of it. Maybe I'll put it on Craigs List!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Alost certainly "walked away" from some unattended ccontractors truck... Any legitimate contractor would have been able to easily return any un-opend 5 gallon bucket. I would not want 5 gallons of "bad karma" rolled all over my house (and I tend to be pretty thifty but I draw the line at stolen goods...).

Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Alost certainly "walked away" from some unattended ccontractors truck... Any legitimate contractor would have been able to easily return any un-opend 5 gallon bucket. I would not want 5 gallons of "bad karma" rolled all over my house (and I tend to be pretty thifty but I draw the line at stolen goods...).
LOL!
My thoughts were along the same line.... stolen AND bad karma!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Notice someone advertising a sealed 5 gallon bucket of mid grade exterior Sherwin Williams left over from a job for $25.
I would have two concerns, First what if I hated the color. There are a hundred shades of every color, you could end up hating the color of the paint and Second what if you run of paint before the house is completed. Without the proper mixture formula on the can, it might be difficult to match the color on your house. I think Craiglist is great for a lot of things, but I'm not sure paint is one of them.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Like many said.
While CL is great for many things... especially driving long distance, getting that 5 gallon paint may not be worth it unless it is *free* of course.

I know the past LaborDay sale, Ace have an awersome sale for their Clark & Kensington Paint for $17 something per gallon (pretty decent stuff)... you could have another family member or more to help you get more should it exceed the limits. But at least you could have the colors that is detailed to what you want... & best of all, if you don't like the color... I think the "return & exchange" policy is best for your bucks. Maybe Ace may have another deal like that going in the future????

Sherwin William also run their 30% off paint quite a bit.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
its a need it now situation but I went ahead and bought Lowes contractor "Extreme Weather" paint with 15 yr guarantee (don't really believe that one!). for $91 for the 5 gallon pail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House