Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,721 times

Advertisements

Knives, spice rack, toaster, coffee maker and a can opener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Just curious what and how much stuff you have on your kitchen counters? Among the things I have on my counters is a caddy with cooking utensils that is next to the stove. I'm thinking of putting it all in a drawer and getting that off my counter. I also have a Keurig, radio, bowl with onions, garlic etc, small stained glass decorations sitting out. So what do you keep on your counters?
I have a similar caddy with kitchen utensils. Also on my kitchen counter are:

rice maker
coffee maker (small, 4-cup)
microwave
phone

I used to have other appliances on my counter, ones that I use less frequently, such as my toaster. However, I have a small galley kitchen and counter space is at a premium. So, I put them away when they are not in use. I haven't missed them, either.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you did not cover your counter with stuff, what would you use to cover any spills or messes you did nto want to clean up right away?
??? What are you talking about? Who covers up spills or messes? Not getting your comment at all.

Who in their right mind doesn't clean up messes on their counter?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
??? What are you talking about? Who covers up spills or messes? Not getting your comment at all.

Who in their right mind doesn't clean up messes on their counter?
He's making a funny.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Mixer (too heavy to be moving around), rice maker, toaster, knifes, paper towels, hulking double boiler espresso machine, coffee grinder. Then there's there a laptop, two ipads and two baby monitors on the bar (still considered part of the kitchen, no?)

There's also a few carved wooden bowls with fruit and various things.

Downstairs kitchen is unused at the moment, so nothing on the counters.

I'm really trying to keep clutter off the benches in this new house, but the kitchen is huge, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
On the counters surrounding the work area I have a collection of Hoosier cabinet glass tea jars which I keep various teas sitting on top of a marble cutting board. There is a wooden cutting board leaning against the backspash with two crocks for cooking utensils in front, an electric can opener (which is my favorite small appliance), in the corner is a basket of antique and vintage kitchen utensils like old eggbeaters, pastry cutters and my trusty '50's Precsco egg slicer entirely made of metal which is also great for slicing mushrooms.

There are a few 40's anchor-hocking large jars for storage and also a large bowl for fruit and veggies.

On the small counter by the fridge we keep a coffee-tea maker.

On the kitchen island is our toaster, a wooden paper towel holder, a notepad and a small pottery creamer for holding pens. My DH usually has a bottle of red wine there too.

I like my clutter! Though if company is coming I'll put a few things away.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM

69 posts, read 114,453 times
I really dislike having things on the countertops. In my last place there wasn't a counter anyway, which was irritating and neat at the same time. (Original 1930s kitchen with a cover for half of the sink as the workspace.)

Currently I have two stretches of countertops. The sink side has a marble tray that I place greens and vegetables in as I wash them. It also has a soap pump, a shaker of MSG, and a pepper grinder. The other counter has a wooden wine box standing on its side with vintage tins in it for tea, flour, and sugar. On top of it are my vintage egg cooker, percolator, and coffee grinder. This is all next to a big dehydrator which annoyingly has a snack basket on top since my husband cannot deal with looking inside a cabinet. There is also a 1930s sandwich press and two glass jars of vitamins there.

The kitchen of the house we are buying has a better design, and I'll be able to put almost all that stuff "away." Yay. Only the coffee stuff, marble tray, and tins will be allowed on the counter.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have plenty of counter space.

I have a section to the right of my sink that is devoted to coffee and tea. It's got my coffee makers and coffee there, below the cabinet which has coffee and tea paraphernalia in it.

To the left of the sink I have a nice dish drain (which I keep emptied but I use it to dry dishes and produce when I hand wash them), a paper towel holder, and then in the far corner I have a bowl with fruit in it. I have two cannisters with condiments in them in between.

On one side of the stove I have my toaster. On the other side I have a holder with bamboo utensils in it, a spoon rest beside it, a trivet for hot pans, and a decorative plate on a stand.

I keep my appliances like the mixer, blender, yogurt maker, etc in a cabinet.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:01 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I have very little counterspace. Even if I had more, only items I use on a daily basis.

Micro, tea kettle, teapot, toaster. Oh and there's this little ceramic frog behind the sink with my scrubbie in its mouth.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:06 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Just curious what and how much stuff you have on your kitchen counters? Among the things I have on my counters is a caddy with cooking utensils that is next to the stove. I'm thinking of putting it all in a drawer and getting that off my counter. I also have a Keurig, radio, bowl with onions, garlic etc, small stained glass decorations sitting out. So what do you keep on your counters?
We have a lot of counterspace.

1) Our rotisserie (which we keep out because we use it a lot)
2) Our Kitchenaid mixer
3) A crock for utensils
4) A knife block

I think that's it in the main area of the kitchen.

We have a separate counter section that is for my husband's coffee. It's offset from the main part of the kitchen but still "in the room" - it has his coffee maker, his tin of fresh ground beans, and the various flavored syrups he likes to use. I also keep a small teapot and teacups there for when my daughter is in the mood to make tea.

Edited to add: We also have a digital picture frame and a couple scented candles - forgot about that counter area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House